Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
I guess my thought is that these are horses did all of their preparation in the UAE and were not shipped from America the week before the race, and put back on a plane to the US right after. Those are what I view as "American horses" to run in Dubai. You can call me a shill for Dubai racing, but if anything, I think I'm actually being quite critical of the records.
Obviously, we have different definitions on what we consider US horses to be.

I looked at it this way ... if the majority of their past races and training time within the last year of the race were in the United States... they're American horses.

Maybe I shouldn't have called you a shill for Dubai racing, but you do promote it and you do a nice job of promoting it.

However, seeing you write how a stone cold Calder horse like Express Tour was going into the UAE Derby, and suggesting he isn't an American horse, but rather a Dubai horse...that's crazy to me.

We bicker about this every year ... but lets use Invasor for example.

I considered him a horse from Uruguay going into his UAE Derby run. He came into the race having won the Triple Crown in Uruguay in his most recent starts, thus he represented Urugay for that race.

Going into the Dubai World Cup, I considered him an American horse, because he spent the past 11 months racing and training in the United States.

A horse like Whilly counts as American for that reason. He came out of Italy, but Doug O' Neill had him in Southern Cal for a better part of a year and he was racing on the West Coast leading up to his 2nd place finish on the Turf in Dubai.