Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Morris Park

Default Stupid Question

This has been a wonderment for me for some time and it is horse racing related but not about the actual horses that are running ,I have never seen this anywhere but California but it is bothering me the Outriders on track in Cali sometime have there horses eyes covered with something that looks like a full blinker set but no eyes for the horse to see, I know a horse doesnt need to see to be ridden but for what reason would they shield the horses eyes and not allow them to see. Just wondering?
Old 06-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Woodbine

I dunno, but I saw a horse last Saturday @ Churchill that had a glass bubble over one eye, it was wierd looking. I guess he had an infection or something. I was calling him the "Bubble Boy" from Seinfeld. Sucker ran good too, think he finished 3rd.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Oaklawn

I am no expert, but here are my thoughts. They are full blinkers or wraps, eyes totally covered. It helps the horses relax and they do not need to see - they move based on the commands of the rider. Doesnt feel/look right, but it really is not a bad thing for these horses. These ponies can get just as excited as the race horses in certain cases, and what can happen is they can hurt the race horse. Saw one get scratched the other day cause he got kicked by the lead pony.

As for the cups, the blinkers are usually half cups and the depth of the blinkers is measured by how far the cup comes up and they vary by the amount you want to block peripheral vision. They must also make full cups. I have seen that on horses who like to come out in the lane.