Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Getting through a season with no Randy Moss meltdowns alone is a tremendous accomplishment

winning cures all.............see TO's 2 rants this year-happen to be the games that the cowboys lost. hopefully will see one more TO rant!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Churchill Downs

Did he win a New ""cutoff arms"" hoodie , for being C O Y ?
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
When you go 16-0 you are the coach of the year. Who possibly did a better job than a guy whose team didn't lose?

He took a veteran team and improved them from a 12-4 record last year in a terrible division that had 12 total wins between all 3 teams and made them 16-0. I think taking the youngest team in football from 8-8 last year to 13-3 is more deserving.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiphan
He took a veteran team and improved them from a 12-4 record last year in a terrible division that had 12 total wins between all 3 teams and made them 16-0. I think taking the youngest team in football from 8-8 last year to 13-3 is more deserving.
Uh they lost ZERO games. Plenty of teams improve year to year. They did something that has never been done, win 16 in a row. I think improving a 12 win team 4 games is a much greater task than improving a mediocre team. They didn't play well in 2 games out of 16 and won anyway. Those other guys did nice jobs but an undefeated NFL season has to win the award.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Uh they lost ZERO games. Plenty of teams improve year to year. They did something that has never been done, win 16 in a row. I think improving a 12 win team 4 games is a much greater task than improving a mediocre team. They didn't play well in 2 games out of 16 and won anyway. Those other guys did nice jobs but an undefeated NFL season has to win the award.
I agree it was impressive to go 16-0, especially since they found a way to win when they shouldn't have, however he did also lose a first round draft pick for their team and get fined $500k for cheating.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiphan
I agree it was impressive to go 16-0, especially since they found a way to win when they shouldn't have, however he did also lose a first round draft pick for their team and get fined $500k for cheating.
Even more reason since you know the victories were clean!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Gotta' disagree...I don't think adding 4 wins with the pre-season SuperBowl fave that just added Randy Moss is a better accomplishment than adding 5 wins with the NFL's youngest team, an aging QB that supposedly was washed up, no running game until Week 7, one proven WR, a rookie place kicker and playing in arguably one of the hardest divisions top to bottom.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
Gotta' disagree...I don't think adding 4 wins with the pre-season SuperBowl fave that just added Randy Moss is a better accomplishment than adding 5 wins with the NFL's youngest team, an aging QB that supposedly was washed up, no running game until Week 7, one proven WR, a rookie place kicker and playing in arguably one of the hardest divisions top to bottom.
But the QB is one of the top 3 or 4 and you lost 2 times to the Bears (which is really bad).

Your guy did a nice job but the other guy did something that none of the other great coaches or teams (save 1) did. Not Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry. It is a historical season that they had. Green Bay had a very good season. To me that is the difference.

Let me ask you a question? Do you think that the Pats would have gone undefeated with any other coach? They starting defense is full of guys as old as me, they recently lost the best kicker in the history of the game, they played the third string running back over half of the year, and with few exceptions blew everybody out. Sure they have some great players but he got them to perform 16 weeks in a row. Hell the freaking linebackers are catching TD passes every week. The guy is a great coach, and he was at his best this year.

I cant believe you haven't metioned the Swisher trade yet???
Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
But the QB is one of the top 3 or 4 and you lost 2 times to the Bears (which is really bad).

Your guy did a nice job but the other guy did something that none of the other great coaches or teams (save 1) did. Not Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi or Tom Landry. It is a historical season that they had. Green Bay had a very good season. To me that is the difference.

Let me ask you a question? Do you think that the Pats would have gone undefeated with any other coach? They starting defense is full of guys as old as me, they recently lost the best kicker in the history of the game, they played the third string running back over half of the year, and with few exceptions blew everybody out. Sure they have some great players but he got them to perform 16 weeks in a row. Hell the freaking linebackers are catching TD passes every week. The guy is a great coach, and he was at his best this year.

I cant believe you haven't metioned the Swisher trade yet???
Please..one debacle at a time..

OK..If the Pats had gone 15-1..is he COY..14-2? Where is the line drawn or is the only thing that matters 16-0? And I'm not saying he isn't a great coach, but yes, I am saying that half..ok..a quarter of the NFL coaches could have gone 16-0 with that team ( that otta' be good for a few retorts)..

Regarding Swisher, that, in my mind secures Kenny Williams as Exec of the Year
Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Please..one debacle at a time..

OK..If the Pats had gone 15-1..is he COY..14-2? Where is the line drawn or is the only thing that matters 16-0? And I'm not saying he isn't a great coach, but yes, I am saying that half..ok..a quarter of the NFL coaches could have gone 16-0 with that team ( that otta' be good for a few retorts)..

Regarding Swisher, that, in my mind secures Kenny Williams as Exec of the Year
No

No other current coach would have gone undefeated with that team or any team for that matter.

Swisher deserves his own thread
Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
No

No other current coach would have gone undefeated with that team or any team for that matter.

Swisher deserves his own thread
So basically winning one game determines if you are COY or not? And yes, I realize that one game was rather important, but I still think it's "easier" to take an excellent team and make them unbeaten than it is to take a previously mediocre team and make them playoff worthy...
agree to disagree I guess

Must go handicap Belgium Bobsledders now...too much past posting to worry about ponies
Old 01-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
So basically winning one game determines if you are COY or not? And yes, I realize that one game was rather important, but I still think it's "easier" to take an excellent team and make them unbeaten than it is to take a previously mediocre team and make them playoff worthy...

Must go handicap Belgium Bobsledders now...too much past posting to worry about ponies
One happens pretty much every year and one happens every 30 years

maybe we need a MIC (most improved Coach)
Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Dee Tee Stables

regarding improving a mediocre team and getting to the playoffs...
several mediocrities got in the playoffs. also, how many teams go to the playoffs each year? how many go 16-0 in a year? i'd say the latter is quite a bit harder!!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
regarding improving a mediocre team and getting to the playoffs...
several mediocrities got in the playoffs. also, how many teams go to the playoffs each year? how many go 16-0 in a year? i'd say the latter is quite a bit harder!!
Stop blindly following me!!! LOL
Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Stop blindly following me!!! LOL
you mean like in the bcs/playoff thread?!?!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
you mean like in the bcs/playoff thread?!?!
Yeah like that!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:

"I still think it's "easier" to take an excellent team and make them unbeaten than it is to take a previously mediocre team and make them playoff worthy..."

the same excellent team he coached last year?

as opposed to the previously mediocre team coached by your candidate?

can we at least end the debate with excellent-undefeated is better than mediocre-playoff worthy?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god
"I still think it's "easier" to take an excellent team and make them unbeaten than it is to take a previously mediocre team and make them playoff worthy..."

the same excellent team he coached last year?

as opposed to the previously mediocre team coached by your candidate?

can we at least end the debate with excellent-undefeated is better than mediocre-playoff worthy?
you...especially you ( and I mean that respectfully) should know that the debate is never..over

the previously mediocre team inherited by my candidate who was undefeated vs the AFC, vs the team that should have gone to the Super Bowl LY until they blew an 18 pt lead and then had Randy Moss dropped in their lap?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:31 PM
pgardn

Even though bill cheated.
Its got to be bill.

I dont like cheaters.
But the Pats are an
amazing team.

Here is hoping they
lose cause I dislike bill and randy.
Brady... I like him.
Even if he can't pull his
teeth apart when he talks.

don't know what the deal is with the teeth but it irritates the heck out of me
Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
you...especially you ( and I mean that respectfully) should know that the debate is never..over

the previously mediocre team inherited by my candidate who was undefeated vs the AFC, vs the team that should have gone to the Super Bowl LY until they blew an 18 pt lead and then had Randy Moss dropped in their lap?
okay. so you know where my heart is.

mccarthy inherited them last year. the mediocre one. i'm really happy with what they've accomplished. looking forward to 08.

but my head is elsewhere.

managing a great team to a perfect season is harder than what the packers did. it just is.

expectations are higher. the pressure is higher. bellichek has done a great job. mangini helped a little with keeping them focused but bellichek played that perfectly.

and stop exposing me.