Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Tropical Park

Default BCS shafted Mizzou and the fans....

Watching Georgia pound Hawaii and thinking how much better this game would have been if Missouri was in Hawaii's place. Is it Missouri's fault that this year 3 of the top 10 teams play in the Big 12 conference?

Heck, I would have welcomed the idea of them playing in the Rose Bowl instead of watching the Illini struggle to get out of their own way.

I even heard Oklahoma offered to go to the Orange Bowl this year instead of making their second straight trip to the Fiesta Bowl and give their fans a change of scenery. The conference money would be the same since they would take Kansas' place and send the Jayhawks to the Fiesta instead. Plus they are the higher BCS seed and they would face the higher seed in Va Tech. Alas, the BCS ruled against this idea. I think afraid of schools setting up their own "highest rated opponent" and setting the groundwork of the fans and media wanting the next step....a playoff.

One more complaint. If the BCS is worried about one conference getting too many teams in the BCS games; why aren't they the least concerned about where teams play? Why have conference ties? Is anyone else tired of watcing USC play a home game in the Rose Bowl? Wouldn't you love to see a good SEC team show up to play USC instead of an average Big 10 team? Or better yet, send USC to the Sugar Bowl to play an SEC team? It's as bad as when a team had to go to the Orange Bowl to play one of the schools from Florida.

Well, that's about it for tonite. The rest of the BCS games look pretty predictable as far as who will win; it's just a matter of the pointspreads.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontheman1964
Watching Georgia pound Hawaii and thinking how much better this game would have been if Missouri was in Hawaii's place. Is it Missouri's fault that this year 3 of the top 10 teams play in the Big 12 conference?

Heck, I would have welcomed the idea of them playing in the Rose Bowl instead of watching the Illini struggle to get out of their own way.

I even heard Oklahoma offered to go to the Orange Bowl this year instead of making their second straight trip to the Fiesta Bowl and give their fans a change of scenery. The conference money would be the same since they would take Kansas' place and send the Jayhawks to the Fiesta instead. Plus they are the higher BCS seed and they would face the higher seed in Va Tech. Alas, the BCS ruled against this idea. I think afraid of schools setting up their own "highest rated opponent" and setting the groundwork of the fans and media wanting the next step....a playoff.

One more complaint. If the BCS is worried about one conference getting too many teams in the BCS games; why aren't they the least concerned about where teams play? Why have conference ties? Is anyone else tired of watcing USC play a home game in the Rose Bowl? Wouldn't you love to see a good SEC team show up to play USC instead of an average Big 10 team? Or better yet, send USC to the Sugar Bowl to play an SEC team? It's as bad as when a team had to go to the Orange Bowl to play one of the schools from Florida.

Well, that's about it for tonite. The rest of the BCS games look pretty predictable as far as who will win; it's just a matter of the pointspreads.
i heard a very good explaination of this in the last 2 weeks. SOME of the playoff problem and MOST of the conference tie in, is the Pac-10. it was explained that the Pac-10 wants that Rose Bowl Big-10 tie and won't listen to anything else and the Rose Bowl reps are lock-step with the Pac-10. so Illinois lands there when there were better games possible. Pac-10 is even opposed to the plus 1 game. as much as i love college football it's REALLY turned into a big joke.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Conspiracy, the real reason for all the bowls and no playoffs? The NFL.$$$$$$$$. How much national attention is generated by 90% of the bowl games. If they were part of a system to determine the Nat Champ, what a cash cow. This would move the NFL from the front page and dilute from the nfl and there money hold.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontheman1964

Nah, Hawaii earned their trip. They had a horrible game, it happens. Kansas getting in over Missouri was the real injustice.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Nah, Hawaii earned their trip. They had a horrible game, it happens. Kansas getting in over Missouri was the real injustice.
Hahaha, Hawaii even playing in a BCS Bowl is a joke and it showed last night. They were simply outmatched in every area, much like Illinois was USC's bitch. How great would it have been to have a playoff this year? The USC/OU Title game might have been the best game of the century.

The only way, and I mean ONLY way, we will ever see a playoff is if the fans boycott the games. No one show up and no one watch on tv until it gets done. That will never happen, so therefore there will never be a playoff.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRP
Hahaha, Hawaii even playing in a BCS Bowl is a joke and it showed last night. They were simply outmatched in every area, much like Illinois was USC's bitch. How great would it have been to have a playoff this year? The USC/OU Title game might have been the best game of the century.

The only way, and I mean ONLY way, we will ever see a playoff is if the fans boycott the games. No one show up and no one watch on tv until it gets done. That will never happen, so therefore there will never be a playoff.
Oklahoma? LOL
Old 01-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Monmouth Park

I think Hawaii earned the trip as well. I think the one thing that everyone is missing here is that score would have been the same regardless of the opponent. I'm not a Georgia fan at all, but I think they were/are hands down the best team in the nation now. I don't think it was as much as Hawaii not deserving to be there as much as it was they were playing the best team in the nation.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Oklahoma? LOL
Yes, OU... 2 road losses, one on a field goal at the end of game and one without Bradford for the whole game. Watch tonight.... You'll see what I'm talking about. Who are your top 2 teams?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarta
I think Hawaii earned the trip as well. I think the one thing that everyone is missing here is that score would have been the same regardless of the opponent. I'm not a Georgia fan at all, but I think they were/are hands down the best team in the nation now. I don't think it was as much as Hawaii not deserving to be there as much as it was they were playing the best team in the nation.
So beating the s*** out of Hawaii makes you the best team in the country? Guess that's what it is, cuz they weren't even the best in their own conference.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Yes, OU... 2 road losses, one on a field goal at the end of game and one without Bradford for the whole game. Watch tonight.... You'll see what I'm talking about. Who are your top 2 teams?
I think if there was an 8-team playoff that Georgia and USC would be in the championship game depending on if they're on opposite sides of the bracket. Georgia hasn't lost a game since early October due, in large part, to the game to game improvement of Knowshown Moreno. He's arguably the best running back in the SEC since Herschel Walker.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
I think if there was an 8-team playoff that Georgia and USC would be in the championship game depending on if they're on opposite sides of the bracket. Georgia hasn't lost a game since early October due, in large part, to the game to game improvement of Knowshown Moreno. He's arguably the best running back in the SEC since Herschel Walker.
He's pretty damn good, I agree.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Bowie

Quote:
Agree with USC, but not so much Georgia.. I still say SC/OU toss up. Those two teams physically overmatch the rest..... Just my observation.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
pgardn

Georgia is good because of their defense.
At this point its easy to say USC and Georgia are the best two teams in the nation... they have played and won easily.

What tune will pillow sing if Ohio State destroys LSU (or vice versa) and Oklahoma manhandles West Virginia (or vice versa)...

Made another mistake. I thought Hawaii was Texas Tech in a bad conference. They are not. Hawaii Offensive lineman could not even touch the Georgia D-lineman on some plays. And their wide receivers learned what it was like to actually get hit hard for once. I think this is the worst mismatch we have witnessed thus far. Score could have been so much more lopsided. And it is not Colt's fault.

I really like Hawaii doing as much as they can on such a small budget. I like the team, and the coach. But my God this was such a stomping in every way.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Golden Gate

Mizzou should have been in the Orange Bowl. Kansas should have played Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. Oklahoma should have played USC in the BCS Championship and my beloved Warriors should have stayed out of the Quarter.
If you've never experienced it, the average Game Day Saturday in Hawaii starts early in the morning at the local sports bar with sat. tv watching horse racing and wagering off-shore on the laptop while downing a moco loco and some brews. Next stop the stadium parking lot for more brews.
Now that's what I call Aloha!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Golden Gate

Mizzou should have been in the Orange Bowl. Kansas should have played Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. Oklahoma should have played USC in the BCS Championship and my beloved Warriors should have stayed out of the Quarter.
If you've never experienced it, the average Game Day Saturday in Hawaii starts early in the morning at the local sports bar with sat. tv watching horse racing and wagering off-shore on the laptop while downing a moco loco and some brews. Next stop the stadium parking lot for more brews.
Now that's what I call Aloha!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Georgia is good because of their defense.

What tune will pillow sing if Ohio State destroys LSU (or vice versa) and Oklahoma manhandles West Virginia (or vice versa)...
The same tune. West Virginia is garbage and so is Ohio State.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Golden Gate

Quote:
I totally agree. USC and Oklahoma are probably the two best in the country. My Mizzou Tigers should have played in the Orange Bowl and KU should have played Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl. As for my beloved Warriors, they should have stayed out of the Quarter.
If you have or ever get to enjoy a Game Day Saturday in Hawai'i, it's the best. It starts really early in the morning at the local sports pub eating a moco loco with some brews watching live horseracing on the mainland on sat. tv. Bets are being laid down on laptops off-shore. Then it's on to the parking lot at the stadium for more brews. That's what I call Aloha!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Hawaii being in a BCS game was a joke. There is no way they should have been there. Sure, they won all of their games on their cream schedule but they struggled in a few to do that. They are not a program that is on par with the ones in the major conferences. They don't have the financial abilities to keep pace and they just don't have the players. Sure, there are times when these mid-majors can compete with their upper level brotheren (Boise St. over Oklahoma last year) and when some of the second division teams can compete with the first level ones (App St over Michigan) but matching up a mid-major team with a legitimate national title contender is asking for trouble. And they got it.

Also, back when South Florida was ranked #2, I argued that this was ridiculous. I don't care about what the records are and who should move up at the point of a win and who should move down at the point of a loss. That whole ranking system is stupid. If LSU is ranked #1 and Georgia is #2 and UNLV is #3...UNLV shouldn't automatically move up ahead of Georgia if Georgia loses a road game at LSU. But that's how the rankings do things. Lose and you automatically move down. Some argued that South Florida deserved their ranking. Did anyone see them the other day get destroyed by an Oregon team that was playing without Dennis Dixon?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Hawaii being in a BCS game was a joke. There is no way they should have been there. Sure, they won all of their games on their cream schedule but they struggled in a few to do that. They are not a program that is on par with the ones in the major conferences. They don't have the financial abilities to keep pace and they just don't have the players. Sure, there are times when these mid-majors can compete with their upper level brotheren (Boise St. over Oklahoma last year) and when some of the second division teams can compete with the first level ones (App St over Michigan) but matching up a mid-major team with a legitimate national title contender is asking for trouble. And they got it.

Also, back when South Florida was ranked #2, I argued that this was ridiculous. I don't care about what the records are and who should move up at the point of a win and who should move down at the point of a loss. That whole ranking system is stupid. If LSU is ranked #1 and Georgia is #2 and UNLV is #3...UNLV shouldn't automatically move up ahead of Georgia if Georgia loses a road game at LSU. But that's how the rankings do things. Lose and you automatically move down. Some argued that South Florida deserved their ranking. Did anyone see them the other day get destroyed by an Oregon team that was playing without Dennis Dixon?
Teams outside the Big Six BCS leagues that have earned an at-large are now 2-1 in BCS bowl games... that says enough for me.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

There is a difference in playing a team in a BCS game and playing a legitimate title contender in a BCS game. For instance, say Hawaii had been pitted against Kansas. I think they would have had a chance against a team like Kansas, a team that shouldn't be in a BCS game in the first place. I think that this year, Georgia is legitimately one of the four best teams in the country.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine