Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Flemington

Default What should the G-Men do?

I would like to hear people's opinion on what the Giants should do Saturday against the Patriots. Personally as a Giants fan, I would like them to rest as many guys as they can. The game means nothing for them, they are already locked in to play the Bucs in the first round of the playoffs. They could use this time to give anyone who is dinged up a couple of days off. Also I would like to see them rest Eli Manning for the game. He has been bad and battered the last few weeks and I am sure he could use a freshening. Giants fans do not need to go into Tampa with Eli coming off maybe another bad performance on National TV versus a team that is 15-0. We need the kid to be ready for Tampa! Besides, twelve other teams had chances to knock off the Pats including the Ravens who had them dead to rights. So why should the Giants jepordize their playoff chances to do something twelve other teams couldn't do? You want to talk about perfection in the regular season, fine. But, unless the Pats go 19-0 and win it all they will be the only team in history to go undefeated in the regular season and then get bounced in the playoffs. So that 16-0 regular season would lose some of that luster. Another reason I want the Giants to play the second string is, I do not want them to beat the Pats. I am a huge believer in let down games. You usually see them in college. What I mean is that you have some unranked middle of the road team knock off the #1 team in the nation. Most of the time they will lose their next game. The world would be so focused on the fact that the Giants ended the undefeated season, that I think it would be a distraction for them preparing for the game in Tampa. Not to mention that might be the mindset for the team too, we just beat the Pats, the Bucs will be no problem. For the record, I think that even if the Giants played their starters they would probably lose anyway. They would need a perfect effort, and they have been far from perfect latley. As a Giants fan I say, let the Pats have the game now and I will prey that we play them again in Febuary. I can dream, can't I?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Hialeah Park

Had this discussion with my friend who is big Giants fan on the way back from the Bills-Giants game. We both agreed that the Giants should play all out and only rest the starters when they are down and out. The way Eli is playing in bad weather there is no way in hell this team is going to the Super Bowl. Another first round exit isn't going to make for a memorable year. Spoiling the Patriots perfect season would be memorable and talked about for years to come. Really I think they are obligated to put up a fight and not let the Patriots get a freebie to 16-0. They are televising this game on CBS and NBC now in addition to the NFL Network. No one is going to be happy with a glorified exhibition game on all three networks.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Hawthorne

In the words of former Jets coach Herman Edwards "You play to win the game".....I hope that is what the Giants do. Although, from a betting standpoint, I'm taking the Pats.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Oaklawn

Tough decision, but at least we can see it now. The commisioners office is allowing CBS and NBC affiliates to carry the game from the NFL network.
I'd say try to win the game. I'd love to see them pull off the upset.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Dee Tee Stables

they should go down fighting, and lose with dignity.

no, seriously, you always play to win. but i think the pats will win pretty handily.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Had this discussion with my friend who is big Giants fan on the way back from the Bills-Giants game. We both agreed that the Giants should play all out and only rest the starters when they are down and out. The way Eli is playing in bad weather there is no way in hell this team is going to the Super Bowl. Another first round exit isn't going to make for a memorable year. Spoiling the Patriots perfect season would be memorable and talked about for years to come. Really I think they are obligated to put up a fight and not let the Patriots get a freebie to 16-0. They are televising this game on CBS and NBC now in addition to the NFL Network. No one is going to be happy with a glorified exhibition game on all three networks.

are you sure?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse
are you sure?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 12-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Dee Tee Stables

it's great that everyone will air the game. of course it took a bit of threatening to get it done....the american way, bring up court action, get what you want.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifecta124
thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Newmarket

Imagine if the PATS were in the NFC...now that would make a classic Super Bowl.....

I think the G-man should play thier starters until the game gets out of hand.....
say by the 2nd quarter

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 12-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Coach Pants

Sit.

They have no shot of winning this game either way. No need to risk injuries to any of your starters for a meaningless record deal.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Oriental Park

Sit anyone wha has any type of injury and your QB. You have nothing to gain except the possibility of a let down in the next game. The Super Bowl is the only goal at this point because there playoff position is locked in. Obviously the people who do play are professionals and should give maximum effort.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Randwyck

Play the game. The Bears did against GB last year when nothing was at stake. If Eli and the team can catch fire, then fire away. If he gets turnover happy, then play your bench players.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Sha Tin

What difference does it make? They cant win either way. I love the fact that all of America can hear the great Bryant Gumbel. They dont know what they have been missing.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Arlington Park

"What should the G-Men do?"

take a poll of the fans and do whatever they say. you can't go wrong with that.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Sit.

They have no shot of winning this game either way. No need to risk injuries to any of your starters for a meaningless record deal.
This reads as to what I was about to post. I will steal one from Ricky "runnin" Watters. "For who? For What?"
They have nothing to play for other than the 72' Dolphins. Their playoff game is written in stone, they will gain nothing other than a confidence trampling if they go all out only to lose to the Pats.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Havre de Grace

At this time, the Giants lead the Pats 27-16 in 3rd qtr....which leads me to believe that the NFL really is fixed!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Flemington

Man, I'm glad I don't pay for the NFL network. The game has been fun to watch though. Who is playing QB for the giants and how did they get him into Eli's body?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
What difference does it make? They cant win either way. I love the fact that all of America can hear the great Bryant Gumbel. They dont know what they have been missing.
My favorite sportscaster misquote of the year: "And coming up shortly we have an interview with RICK Romo"
Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Goodwood

Another Gumbel classic- 2nd and 4, Maroney dropped for a 5 yard loss, they line up for 3rd and 9 "they gave him a gain of 1"