Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Big Sports Year in Boston

It's looking very promising for the sports fans in the Boston area. The Red Sox are looking good and have to be among the two or three favorites to win the World Series. The Patriots added Randy Moss and have to be among the two or three favorites to win the Super Bowl. Today, the Celtics pretty much agreed to a deal to bring Kevin Garnett to town and along with the addition of Ray Allen, with those two teaming with Paul Pierce, the Celtics have to be considered one of the top two or three teams to win the East and maybe one of the five or six favorites to win the whole thing.

As a Celtics fan, I'm glad to say

WE ARE BACK!!!!!
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 07-31-2007, 02:11 AM
Havre de Grace

The thing that troubles me is whether the Celts threw in 2 1st round picks or 1! I agree they got rid of alot of salary and players that didn't fit, but 2 picks?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
The thing that troubles me is whether the Celts threw in 2 1st round picks or 1! I agree they got rid of alot of salary and players that didn't fit, but 2 picks?
The way I look at it is that they are going for it NOW!! The East doesn't take much to win it and with three bonafied all-stars, they are in the position to win it right now. Their window of opportunity won't be long with KG though. I understand he may be signing a four-year extention but I don't really think he's got a lot of time left. He's like Kobe Bryant in that they both came in very young so even though both are chronologically young, they both have a lot of NBA miles on those legs. If things go the way the can go, those draft picks will be late first rounders and these days, I don't think there is much out there in the draft once u get past the top 5-10 picks at most. They would be better off using their mid-level exception on an established veteran than on untested rookies. So if that's what it took to get KG, I'm all for it. Ainge has been torched in the media for a while but to get KG and Ray Allen in the span of a month, he deserves some credit.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Bowie

What a great city!!!! Would love to see the Celtics get back. But most of all:

LET'S

GO

RED

SOX
Old 07-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
The two picks are useless...they are picks in slots 20-30 at best...one of the picks is actually a pick Minnesota gave Boston in the Ricky Davis trade a few years back.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I am a New Yorker, but I think that Boston is certainly one of the great sports towns in America. Great traditions, great facilities, great media, and a lot of variety (the Beanpot, e.g.).
I agree with you on all but the media...there are some good writers, but alot of them have started reporting their own agenda, and making themselves part of the story, when it shouldnt be that way.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:33 AM
Flemington

The Patriots will win the Super Bowl

The Red Sox won't make it past the ALCS

The Celtics will lose in the 2nd round.

The Bruins will be elminated in the first round
Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Hollywood Park

Default Most Importantly!!

And most importantly, don't forget that we will definitely have the Mass Cap this year - it is indeed a good year in Boston
Old 08-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Thistley Downs

Of fucl< me already.

The Mass Carp......just like the Mass Pike.

Boston Blows.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
The Patriots will win the Super Bowl

The Red Sox won't make it past the ALCS

The Celtics will lose in the 2nd round.

The Bruins will be elminated in the first round
you're dreaming if you think the Bruins even make the playoffs!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkGirl
And most importantly, don't forget that we will definitely have the Mass Cap this year - it is indeed a good year in Boston
Mass Cap weekend features the Mass Cap on Saturday and the Pats-Bills on Sunday this year...Sox likely clinching the division in Tampa Bay that weekend as well
Old 08-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Sha Tin

I think that Boston needed to make the trade.

However.....

Maybe I'm wrong but I dont think they are much more than a 48-50 win team.(which I realize is a lot better than what they had) Though Garnett is still very good on both ends, Allen and Pierce couldn't guard Seattle even if they had an inclination about playing D. The point guard situation is murky and they have zero depth. Doc Rivers is still the coach.

This is a better trade in fantasyland than reality. Of course the refs may have something to say about all this.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Dee Tee Stables

amazing to hear that the odds of the celtics winning it all next year went from 100-1 to 5-1 after the trade was announced.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I think that Boston needed to make the trade.

However.....

Maybe I'm wrong but I dont think they are much more than a 48-50 win team.(which I realize is a lot better than what they had) Though Garnett is still very good on both ends, Allen and Pierce couldn't guard Seattle even if they had an inclination about playing D. The point guard situation is murky and they have zero depth. Doc Rivers is still the coach.

This is a better trade in fantasyland than reality. Of course the refs may have something to say about all this.
Stephen A. smith going off about how Allen and Pierce are so hungry to win. What a bunch of BS. These guys play no D whatsoever. And they cant. Both are injury prone scorers, they are not dirty work guys... never have been, never will be.
KG has the most diverse game but he IS NOT an inside scorer. They have no depth, no strength, no point guard. The good news is they will be a better team. The bad news is good luck 2 or 3 years down the road, they will return to the bottom.
They will not win the Eastern conference and it is laughable to think they can win the whole thing. Its good for the NBA, good for Boston, but there is just no way they go anywhere as a team. So damn obvious.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
amazing to hear that the odds of the celtics winning it all next year went from 100-1 to 5-1 after the trade was announced.
THAT is ridiculous!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:51 PM

I think they absolutely should be the favorites to win the East. People forget very easily that Cleveland won it last year with LeBron James and nothing else. If a one man team can win it, surely a three man team can. Their window is not going to last long and I do think that any one of four or five teams from the West would be favored over them in the Finals but I agree with them being favored in the East. It just doesn't take much to be the best in the East.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Havre de Grace

TRUE DAT,King!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Thistley Downs

This is one of the most idiotic threads I have ever seen in my life.

Every poster here except me should be forced to bathe.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkGirl

I do not want you to send me nude phototographs of yourself.

Send them to DrugS.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 AM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
I think they absolutely should be the favorites to win the East. People forget very easily that Cleveland won it last year with LeBron James and nothing else. If a one man team can win it, surely a three man team can. Their window is not going to last long and I do think that any one of four or five teams from the West would be favored over them in the Finals but I agree with them being favored in the East. It just doesn't take much to be the best in the East.
Again the fatal flaw of just looking at offensive prowess. Cleveland got to the finals because they played very good defense in a weak East. DEFENSE. KG can block shots and is mobile. But he gets pushed around underneath. He needs a big physical player to complement him. Allen and Pierce have been forced to produce offensively their entire careers. They are now older injury prone scorers. Exactly how does Boston stop other teams from scoring?

King, you were the guy who picked San Antonio to lose every series in the NBA playoffs?
Think you had
Denver over San Antonio
Phoenix over San Antonio
Utah over San Antonio...?

but you did start a good thread with the Boston sports theme.