Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Lbigdog77

Default Thoroughbred Times Series Re: Tote System

FYI, for those interested (which includes most of us since most of us are handicappers, wagerers), the TT started a nice seriers on May 20 re: the Tote System in America.

The title quote for the series: "Hold All Tickets. Tote Trouble. America's wagering system, designed for another era, is outdated and breaks down frequently. The Breeders' Cup Ultra Pick Six scandal was a wake-up call, but little has changed." Story follows in the May 20 edition as part I in a series.

We all have to figure there's a ton of fraud in this system. The fact that those guys got caught at Arlington w/ the BC pick six is a minor deterrent. People kill other people every day for less than $100; they rob banks and risk death for a few multiples of this. We should not be naive ... there are sophisticated people out there that manipulate the Tote system and make millions.

I applaud the Thoroughbred Times for bringing up the topic. I certainly don't know what the solutions are, but we should all be aware that there are huge gaps in the tote systems in America (ie there are numerous people stealing money from every one of us every day).

LR
Old 06-01-2006, 10:13 PM
chromer

Can you post a link? I went to Tbred Times and looked at the 5-20 archeives but didn't see it there. I'd like to read the article.

Anyone remember the response by (I want to say NTRA chairman) someone after it was revealed the same player had all 6 winning tickets with the completely illogical single-single-single-single-all-all structure? To paraphrase it was "I don't know what everyone is so upset about. This is a great story for racing." Might as well have just said 'I don't want to hear it. La-La-La-La-La!".

That's the problem.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:07 AM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbigdog77
FYI, for those interested (which includes most of us since most of us are handicappers, wagerers),

I applaud the Thoroughbred Times for bringing up the topic. I certainly don't know what the solutions are, but we should all be aware that there are huge gaps in the tote systems in America (ie there are numerous people stealing money from every one of us every day).

LR
Very interesting stuff.

A little off topic, but i notice that you (as an established owner of some serious horseflesh) seem to be very much in the wagering side of the sport as well as in the ownership, etc...side of things.

I have met some owners/ trainers and their daughters who don't wager a dime because blah,blah... What's the ratio you think of those on the connections side of the sport who "play" and those who abstain for whatever godforsaken reason?

Last edited by goingtothewhip : 06-02-2006 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Morris Park

bump.

any thoughts or am i being ignored on principle? Seems like a legitimate question...
I'm not going to name other names... but obviously we all know where Jeff Mullins stands on the issue and I know he is far from alone. I'm not talking about laying a couple g's on your own horse to win, but what's your guess on the % of connections who invest/wager on a regular basis and thus are succeptible to the scenerio described above. "(ie there are numerous people stealing money from every one of us every day)". ?
Old 06-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

I think he will reply to you when he sees the post.

Good question though.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbigdog77
FYI, for those interested (which includes most of us since most of us are handicappers, wagerers), the TT started a nice seriers on May 20 re: the Tote System in America.

I applaud the Thoroughbred Times for bringing up the topic. I certainly don't know what the solutions are, but we should all be aware that there are huge gaps in the tote systems in America (ie there are numerous people stealing money from every one of us every day).LR
Lans..

I'll get you Ted Mudge's numberEmail.. You should call or Email him.. Former President of AmTote (I think AmTote..) and a GREAT Guy.. Knows EVERYTHING there is to know on this topic...

SB