Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Breeders' Cup Classic or Turf Mile for Wise Dan?
Turf Mile 49 70.00%
Classic 21 30.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Dirt...probably the eighth pole.....and definitely the sixteenth pole.

And, oh yeah, most of the field.

Other than that, very little.
I get that you think the surface is not Wise Dan's best. But, where are the killers lining up for the classic? Are Mucho Macho Man or To Honor and Serve supposed to scare people away? Is Ron the Greek a monster now? Is Fort Larned?

I agree that his turf/synthetic races have been his best. But, I don't see how he has no chance against the group that will line up for the classic.

Paul
Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Turf Paradise

How about both. The trotters do it.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Jerome Park

So, since Ghostzapper is retired he should run in the Classic?

Listen, people enter their horses in bad spots all the time, and skip appropriate spots even more often. Why should Wise Dan be any different?

The difference between Wise Dan and, say, Stay Thirsty is that Wise Dan has another BC race where he will be favored. Plus, as has been said before, he's a gelding, so the Classic has no residual value like it does for many others ( some of whom are less likely to win than even Wise Dan...yet the Classic is still the appropriate spot for them ).
Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizer View Post
I get that you think the surface is not Wise Dan's best. But, where are the killers lining up for the classic? Are Mucho Macho Man or To Honor and Serve supposed to scare people away? Is Ron the Greek a monster now? Is Fort Larned?

I agree that his turf/synthetic races have been his best. But, I don't see how he has no chance against the group that will line up for the classic.

Paul
Stop... You are getting me depressed thinking about the Classic.

Damar Hamlin
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizer View Post

Paul
I suspect that if his vision is pretty good, he will able to see Game On Dude's hind end from about 80 to 100 yards away.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Coach Pants

It's pretty clear to me that the Melbourne Cup is the logical choice

This might be the best horse of all time.

Or we've had a run of mediocre years.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
You can't be serious saying he's the star racing needs. There is no way you really believe that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
There is an AA meeting in Santa Monica right by the fish market, its time to dedicate sometime to cleaning up.

Read your post again its beyond a wrong opinion it is down right scary. You want a marketing campaign on wise dan? As for commercials during the Olympics.. NBC needed to earn not give away space for horseys that have virtually zero ratings save 45 minutes before the start of a derby or 45 minute before the start of the Belmont if a horse is going for the TC.

This horse would be 15 to 1 in the ckassic depending on which euro's show up who is going to beat him at a mile Get Serious and I mean Get Serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
star? You are way overrating him. He might be a really good miler but star, not a chance, even if he wins the classic.
Respectfully, I was just wondering if any of you fine gentlemen have changed your mind(s).

I stand by what I said. This horse is a star and could help to market the sport.

If you still think I'm insane that's fine but really... are any of you seeing this at all?
Old 08-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Flemington

And ppl knocked Zenyattas connections.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Respectfully, I was just wondering if any of you fine gentlemen have changed your mind(s).

I stand by what I said. This horse is a star and could help to market the sport.

If you still think I'm insane that's fine but really... are any of you seeing this at all?
Yea turf milers in grade 2 races are going to market the sport. The horse is really good though, no doubting that. I dont think anyone who doesnt follow racing has even heard of him.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Randwyck

Wink

Have thought it for awhile but I think this is one of the best horses of at the very least the past decade....yeah the classic distances are shakey at best but this horse is one of the greats....the great horses make ya feel bad for the poor horses that would be decent winners had they not been born into the same crop as the wise Dan buzz saw
Old 08-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Churchill Downs

Win the Mile, try to blaze a trail through Dubai and Europe next year (or Melbourne /Japan), then come back to the permanent home of the BC for an encore.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:

Yes I think he is a really special horse. I don't know how that would help market the sport.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz View Post
Have thought it for awhile but I think this is one of the best horses of at the very least the past decade....yeah the classic distances are shakey at best but this horse is one of the greats....the great horses make ya feel bad for the poor horses that would be decent winners had they not been born into the same crop as the wise Dan buzz saw
Great turf miler, sure. He wasn't beating POE at 9f derby day. Shame he's hurt now. Look at his last dirt race, he lost to Ron The Greek, who is OK, but no one mistakes for great.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Great turf miler, sure. He wasn't beating POE at 9f derby day. Shame he's hurt now. Look at his last dirt race, he lost to Ron The Greek, who is OK, but no one mistakes for great.
If you know anything about pace, you would know Wise Dan ran terrific in the Foster. He was much the best.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
He wasn't beating POE at 9f derby day.
Yep, pretty sure POE was scratched because they knew he was going to blow the doors off Wise Dan that day and they just felt bad for him.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i enjoyed wise dan's races last year. hope they try him on dirt at least once again this year.
that said, turf is considered kinder to a horse. and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. hopefully between him and his half-brother, we'll be treated for plenty more good racing, this year and for a few years to come.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Churchill Downs

So what's the goal here? The BC Mile is a big check with a high probability of cashing. Win there and you join a handful of horses who have won different BC races and cementing a legacy of one of the best in that turf mile division.

However, if you take a gamble in the Classic, you really are going for "all time greatness." I don't think he has a good shot, but he has a shot at American racing immortality. I don't think that's an overstatement for a multiple HOY who won BC races on different surfaces, capped by the Classic.

For an old guy with a once in a lifetime horse, I'd take the shot.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
So what's the goal here? The BC Mile is a big check with a high probability of cashing. Win there and you join a handful of horses who have won different BC races and cementing a legacy of one of the best in that turf mile division.

However, if you take a gamble in the Classic, you really are going for "all time greatness." I don't think he has a good shot, but he has a shot at American racing immortality. I don't think that's an overstatement for a multiple HOY who won BC races on different surfaces, capped by the Classic.

For an old guy with a once in a lifetime horse, I'd take the shot.
i think it depends on what happens with successful dan. mr. lopresti has a possible chance to win two races on cup day. that's an enviable position for sure!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:

Not at all. Nobody disputed the fact that he's a good horse but I don't see him at all as a star. Maybe if they ran him in higher profile races but what they are doing is like saying they have the best player in the league but playing him in the minors instead of the majors.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
Not at all. Nobody disputed the fact that he's a good horse but I don't see him at all as a star. Maybe if they ran him in higher profile races but what they are doing is like saying they have the best player in the league but playing him in the minors instead of the majors.
wise dan's wins are minor league? oh boy.