Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Steve Byk

Default 1/21: Picou, Kenneally, Serling, Yakteen, Conte, Baffert

Tuesday ATR..

10:30 Jimmy Picou (Val's Prince; Diplomatic Jet; Susan's Girl)
11:00 Eddie Kenneally (Ullapool; Star Channel; Dame Marie)
11:15 Andy Serling ('Trips & Traps')
11:45 Tim Yakteen (Points Offthebench)
12:00 John Conte (Esquire TV's "Horseplayers")
12:30 Bob Baffert (Shakin It Up, Indianapolis; Midnight Hawk)

Capital Off-Track Betting TV 6-9a Wed; Archive, etc., www.stevebyk.com.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Steve Byk

It was a tremendous pleasure to have 80yo Jimmy Picou on ATR today...

Here's the 1981 Travers where 25-1 Willow Hour & Eddie Maple stun Pleasant Colony (Angel Cordero) & Lord Avie (Jorge Velasquez): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lddMc1JwY9E
Old 01-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Morris Park

Steve,
I can't wait to hear the replay of your interview with Jimmy. "The Gentleman of the Backside" is used to call him. Countless dinners with him and his wife Helen revealed stories that I could never have imagined. Jimmy trained my first and his last graded stakes winner, Whata Brainstorm, that I owned with John Eaton.
Chad Brown's first male stakes winner was the gelding we named "Picou" in Jimmy's honor. He of course was a long distance turfer!
I am forever indebted to Jimmy for all the knowledge he shared with me through the last years of his career.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf fan View Post
Steve,

I can't wait to hear the replay of your interview with Jimmy. "The Gentleman of the Backside" is used to call him. Countless dinners with him and his wife Helen revealed stories that I could never have imagined. Jimmy trained my first and his last graded stakes winner, Whata Brainstorm, that I owned with John Eaton.

Chad Brown's first male stakes winner was the gelding we named "Picou" in Jimmy's honor. He of course was a long distance turfer! I am forever indebted to Jimmy for all the knowledge he shared with me through the last years of his career.
Steve,

I was delighted to reach Picou and hope you enjoy it. Half hour went by in a flash was clear we could have gone on another hour. Barely got to Val's Prince with him! Here's the link to the Archive page: http://www.thoroughbredracingradione...y=21&Itemid=35
Old 01-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Steve,

I was delighted to reach Picou and hope you enjoy it. Half hour went by in a flash was clear we could have gone on another hour. Barely got to Val's Prince with him! Here's the link to the Archive page: http://www.thoroughbredracingradione...y=21&Itemid=35
Wow Steve!
What a blast to hear some of those stories again! Thanks for including him in your show. Classic Jimmy. You would mention a horse and I would hear that patented response, "gee whiz," and off he would go winding tales about the past.
I have to share one of my favorites with you. Late in his career, John Eaton and I had a homebred Capote filly named Smile Maker that bucked her shins at 2 in her first start so we stopped on her. She went back into training with Jimmy at Gulfstream early in her 3yo year and he felt strongly she would break her maiden next out. Jimmy was pretty low profile late in his career so we told him we "needed to make a score." He trained that filly early in the dark and would breeze her to the 1/8th pole just to keep her under the radar. With Rene Douglas in the saddle, she paid $68 to win!!! Sometimes the old timers don't lose their skills if they have the right horse!!
Thanks again!