Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Oaklawn

Default Arlington Park

On a Saturday, they can only muster up an 8 race card? That is a shame.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Lincoln Fields

Hardly any trainers based there anymore, due to contract uncertainties, lockouts and pathetic prize money (even compared to nearby Indiana and Prairie Meadows). Canterbury Park's resurgence sure to lure more midwestern-based barns away.

Also, the Illinois breeding industry is nearly extinct as a direct consequence of AP's decline. This will not help field sizes in the future.

The resulting product is tough to watch. I go there often, as I live 10 minutes away. But I rarely bet the AP card, as it is virtually impossible to find any value. I'm usually watching the simos from Belmont or Kentucky.

Still one of the nicest track facilities on the planet. Wish I could put some horses up there, but it makes no financial or strategic sense. We run our All-Weather horses at PID and Woodbine because purses are much more attractive and the trainers can operate in a more stable environment.

O
Old 05-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Goer Otis View Post
Hardly any trainers based there anymore, due to contract uncertainties, lockouts and pathetic prize money (even compared to nearby Indiana and Prairie Meadows). Canterbury Park's resurgence sure to lure more midwestern-based barns away.

Also, the Illinois breeding industry is nearly extinct as a direct consequence of AP's decline. This will not help field sizes in the future.

The resulting product is tough to watch. I go there often, as I live 10 minutes away. But I rarely bet the AP card, as it is virtually impossible to find any value. I'm usually watching the simos from Belmont or Kentucky.

Still one of the nicest track facilities on the planet. Wish I could put some horses up there, but it makes no financial or strategic sense. We run our All-Weather horses at PID and Woodbine because purses are much more attractive and the trainers can operate in a more stable environment.

O
Everything Otis says is spot on. CDI creates such an aura of contention between Horseman and the Track that it's almost like they don't want them there. And people show up..if the weather is good. They had three straight days of 25,000+ opening weekend despite $16 admission for Derby Day and Mother's Day. Unfortunately Levy Concessions benefits more than Horseman as the Handles just don't reflect those attendance figures because the well dressed ( Derby Day) and the Well Heeled ( Mother's Day) would much rather spend $80 on 4 rounds of beer and bet $2WPS on the favorite than try and put together a Pick 4, etc.

And let's not even bring the hypocrisy of the State of Illinois regarding gambling into this conversation. Attempt after attempt to legalize Slots at tracks gets stuck in legislature or is vetoed the one time it actually did pass, yet I can pass three separate bars/lounges with slot machines on my way to the track. While they are most likely a band aid and not a long term solution, and while I have complete faith that CDI would find a way to pocket more money in proportion to increasing purses, a level playing field is far from the norm here.

That being said, it is an incredible facility...at least before you get to the back stretch...and with 70s and sunny weather forecast the beer trucks will be lined up to deliver the beer, the place will be hopping and the shrill cheers of someone celebrating winning $3.20 on a 1-2 Rivelli 9 year old will fill the grounds all weekend long.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:09 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
That being said, it is an incredible facility...at least before you get to the back stretch...and with 70s and sunny weather forecast the beer trucks will be lined up to deliver the beer, the place will be hopping and the shrill cheers of someone celebrating winning $3.20 on a 1-2 Rivelli 9 year old will fill the grounds all weekend long.
Haha! And that's after Larry has scratched half his entries!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 AM
Fairgrounds

I totally agree. Otis and Bob are 100% correct.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
Everything Otis says is spot on. CDI creates such an aura of contention between Horseman and the Track that it's almost like they don't want them there. And people show up..if the weather is good. They had three straight days of 25,000+ opening weekend despite $16 admission for Derby Day and Mother's Day. Unfortunately Levy Concessions benefits more than Horseman as the Handles just don't reflect those attendance figures because the well dressed ( Derby Day) and the Well Heeled ( Mother's Day) would much rather spend $80 on 4 rounds of beer and bet $2WPS on the favorite than try and put together a Pick 4, etc.

And let's not even bring the hypocrisy of the State of Illinois regarding gambling into this conversation. Attempt after attempt to legalize Slots at tracks gets stuck in legislature or is vetoed the one time it actually did pass, yet I can pass three separate bars/lounges with slot machines on my way to the track. While they are most likely a band aid and not a long term solution, and while I have complete faith that CDI would find a way to pocket more money in proportion to increasing purses, a level playing field is far from the norm here.

that's such a shame. the times we went up there, we had a ball. would love to go back, but not if the racing is not good.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:04 PM
The Curragh

agree with all the other locals, the place is a glorified amusement park/concert venue......that happens to have horse racing if you're bored every 25 minutes.

since they've opened this season i've been keeping an eye on the results, it's either a 3-5 Rivelli making the pk4's predominantly under $100 payout, or the bomber maiden paying $75 to win, not too much in between.

I've only been here 3 years, but i've always loved the place, its a short train/car ride from the city, and when the weather is nice it rivals ANY place in the city/state/country for the scenery and ambiance.

But, like a lot of people, i have to question each weekend, do i want to go out to AP and pay $8 to get in and $6 a beer to watch basement purses and nickle and dime payouts, or just stay home.... the latter usually wins

-bt-
Old 05-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Havre de Grace

Cleanest finest facility I've ever been. Too nice to even consider throwing a losing ticket on the floor.