Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2006, 02:31 PM
The Curragh

Default Love this time of year / Farm Markets

I am hooked on Farm Markets. Every two or three days I am right back throwing down a $20 bill buying Tomatoes, Ohio Sweet Corn, Peas, all kinds of beans, Peaches, you name it. I love it, nothing like some great home grown fresh produce. we even still have Strawberries left.

I need to learn when to use the caps key properly.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
I am hooked on Farm Markets. Every two or three days I am right back throwing down a $20 bill buying Tomatoes, Ohio Sweet Corn, Peas, all kinds of beans, Peaches, you name it. I love it, nothing like some great home grown fresh produce. we even still have Strawberries left.

I need to learn when to use the caps key properly.
Can't beat that. Same here. Am addicted to fresh squeezed irange juice real bad these days.... $7/gal, but can't do without. Big glass in am. In pm, toss in some strawberries, a banana and a bit of vanilla ice cream. Put it in the blender for 15 seconds. can't beat it.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Hialeah Park

Well,
I can't say I'm hooked on farmers markets because once the garden starts coming, it makes so much good food that I can't keep up with it.
I give away more food than I can possibly eat.
My garden is filled with compost. The plants love it. And, did you know that insects don't attack healthy plants?
Anyway, I've been getting onions since March, hold over carrots too.
Now the lettuce is just so good. The basis for so many salads. Nothing like you can buy at a store.
New potatoes, baby stringbeans, radishes...I could go on and on.
Once you have a vegetable garden, you'll never be the same.
Plant some herbs too cause nothing beats fresh cilantro or basil when you're cooking.
Now, if the danged rain would stop so I could go out and harvest, things would be fine.
Here in NY, the farmers are taking a hit. Some of the best hay is grown here, but if it rains on it after it's down, it's ruined.
A few sunny days in a row would be nice.

Zuchinnis or cukes anyone??? Coming out faster than Ghostzapper from the gate.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Well,
I can't say I'm hooked on farmers markets because once the garden starts coming, it makes so much good food that I can't keep up with it.
I give away more food than I can possibly eat.
My garden is filled with compost. The plants love it. And, did you know that insects don't attack healthy plants?
Anyway, I've been getting onions since March, hold over carrots too.
Now the lettuce is just so good. The basis for so many salads. Nothing like you can buy at a store.
New potatoes, baby stringbeans, radishes...I could go on and on.
Once you have a vegetable garden, you'll never be the same.
Plant some herbs too cause nothing beats fresh cilantro or basil when you're cooking.
Now, if the danged rain would stop so I could go out and harvest, things would be fine.
Here in NY, the farmers are taking a hit. Some of the best hay is grown here, but if it rains on it after it's down, it's ruined.
A few sunny days in a row would be nice.

Zuchinnis or cukes anyone??? Coming out faster than Ghostzapper from the gate.
Among the things I miss most having moved from up north to So Florida is having a modest garden. Tomato(e?)s, cukes, herbs, nothing much but I do miss it. Down here, it's very hard (at least for me) to get a garden growing. Winter = No Rain at all. Summer = Nothing but rain. And whike I know bugs won't go after healthy plants and while we exterminate regularly, I still kill a couple of flying or crawling creatures half the size of my fist a week.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Among the things I miss most having moved from up north to So Florida is having a modest garden. Tomato(e?)s, cukes, herbs, nothing much but I do miss it. Down here, it's very hard (at least for me) to get a garden growing. Winter = No Rain at all. Summer = Nothing but rain. And whike I know bugs won't go after healthy plants and while we exterminate regularly, I still kill a couple of flying or crawling creatures half the size of my fist a week.
Guess I'm not moving to the sunshine state any time soon.
I'd miss this time of the year. It makes up for all the cold and snow during the long winters here.
Giant crawly creatures...no thanks, though I did see a good tv show about them form some place in Africa on the Discovery channel. The guy said they tasted like shrimp. They were digging them out of dead trees. Looked like huge grubs.
I'll pass.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Guess I'm not moving to the sunshine state any time soon.
I'd miss this time of the year. It makes up for all the cold and snow during the long winters here.
Giant crawly creatures...no thanks, though I did see a good tv show about them form some place in Africa on the Discovery channel. The guy said they tasted like shrimp. They were digging them out of dead trees. Looked like huge grubs.
I'll pass.
Well, November through March, we have wonderful weather... 75-80 high sand 55-60 lows. October is ok, since the rains stop. April still fairly dry. But... June, July, Aug, Sept.... every day is the same, within a couple degrees. High 90. Low 80. Chance of rain 95%. Humidity? You bet, though the hmidity tends to abate for a day or so after a hurricane ravages your neighborhood.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Well, November through March, we have wonderful weather... 75-80 high sand 55-60 lows. October is ok, since the rains stop. April still fairly dry. But... June, July, Aug, Sept.... every day is the same, within a couple degrees. High 90. Low 80. Chance of rain 95%. Humidity? You bet, though the hmidity tends to abate for a day or so after a hurricane ravages your neighborhood.
Thanks for the info S2S.
Those hurricanes scare me. I've visited Florida. It's nice near Daytona and north, but I think that after deer season, south Texas might be a place to be.
The "valley" is very nice and it's near some pretty good fishing. The draw back is that it's far away from a good track. Guess there's always a "trade off".