Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2010, 04:35 AM
Hollywood Park

Post Pasco Stakes

Has anyone looked at the Pasco Stakes at Tampa on Saturday? Gesu. Uptowncharleybrown, Hellen's Choice,etc. Some potential Derby trail 3 yos...

A friend of mine is a co-owner in Hellen's Choice, the 3 yo colt trained by Kathleen O'Connell. I believe that they are running in the Pasco in lieu of this stakes at Gulfstream....
Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 AM
Steve Byk

Default 1/16 (TAM): Gasparilla & Pasco S.

8th (3:43) Gasparilla S.

7 Furlongs | Fillies | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $75,000

1 1 Dattt Echo Centeno D E Hennig Mark 122 L 5-2
2 2 Champagne Lady Goncalves L R Arnold George R II 116 L 8-1
3 3 Diva Delite Homeister R B Jr Vivian David A 116 L 3-1
4 4 Deposit Only Lopez P Pinchin Jose 116 L 9-2
5 5 Comic Marvel Lopez J Mott William I 116 L 6-1
6 6 Mallory Square Lydon P J Gatis Christos 116 L 6-1
7 7 Miss Aristocrat Ramgeet A R DaCosta Jason 116 L 12-1
8 8 Yournotthebossofme Gonzalez L A Stewart Chad J 116 L 12-1

Daily Double / Exacta / Trifecta ($.50 minimum) / Superfecta ($.10 minimum) Pick 4 ($.50 minimum) (Races 8-9-10-11)

9th (4:10) Pasco S.

7 Furlongs | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $75,000

1 1 Gesu Lopez P Calascibetta J G 122 L 4-1
2 2 Black Diamond Cat Montalvo C Bates Larry 116 L 10-1
3 3 Silver Craft Lopez J Reinstedler A L 116 L 9-2
4 4 Benestar Goncalves L R Catalano Wayne M 116 L 8-1
5 5 Place Value Morales P Salzman Timothy 116 L 15-1
6 6 Uptowncharlybrown Centeno D E Seewald Alan 116 L 2-1
7 7 Big Looie Homeister R B Jr Janks Christine K 116 L 5-1
8 8 Hellen's Choice Allen R D Jr O'Connell Kathleen 116 L 6-1

Daily Double / Exacta / Trifecta ($.50 minimum) / Superfecta ($.10 minimum) Pick 3 (Races 9-10-11)
Old 01-14-2010, 06:04 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithting
Has anyone looked at the Pasco Stakes at Tampa on Saturday? Gesu. Uptowncharleybrown, Hellen's Choice,etc. Some potential Derby trail 3 yos...

A friend of mine is a co-owner in Hellen's Choice, the 3 yo colt trained by Kathleen O'Connell. I believe that they are running in the Pasco in lieu of this stakes at Gulfstream....
Your friend has his/her horse in the right barn. KOC is white hot at Tampa right now.

This horse needs to get an easier lead, easier said than done, or take back a bit and settle. He went just a bit too fast in the Inaugural while stretching out from 5f grass tries. Obviously, this race is another furlong, so the tactics Ronnie Allen employs will be the key to Hellen's Choice's chances. The Janks horse with Rosie aboard, just to his inside, seems to be the main contender for the early lead. RAJr should be able to assess from the outside post and make a quick decision. That said, 7f should not be outside of this horse's scope and he will benefit greatly from that Inagural run.

I don't think there is any doubt he'll be on my ticket again.

Rain in the forecast for Saturday (again), so track condition could play a big part.

Last edited by Bigsmc : 01-14-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Churchill Downs

diva delight/ gesu parlay
Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Hollywood Park

Talking Pasco Stakes

I was hoping to be there on Saturday for the race, but it looks like Sunday.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 AM
5'8".. but all man!

My opinions have been for sh*t thus far this meet, but I really like Mallory Square in the Gasparilla. I'm not sure what she beat on 12/26, but once she switched leads in the stretch, she really began to run.

A very wide open race with a few runners that are still lightly enough raced that they may move forward. Tough to take a short price on any of these.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Turf Paradise

Default Gasparilla

I am dropping small safe on Comic Marvel in the Gasparilla.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Goodwood

Gasparilla -

Diva Delight - wet or fast.

Jose Gaspar - Gasparilla, The Pirate
Jose Gaspar was a Spanish pirate that prowled the waters of Tampa Bay, Florida. One of the more successful pirates, Gaspar is credited with capturing over 400 ships from 1789 to 1821. Adopting the nickname Gasparilla, he buried treasure in numerous places throughout the west coast of Florida.

Known as the "Last Buccaneer", Gasparilla was planning on retiring from a life of piracy. Ironically, on the day he was dividing his treasure among his crew. he spied a fat British merchant ship passing offshore. Gaspar couldn't resist one last plunder and gave chase. Unfortunately, the merchant ship was really the disguised USS Enterprise - a U.S. Navy warship on a pirate-hunting mission.

Jose Gaspar pulled in close to the ship before realizing, too late, that it was a trap. A spirited battle between pirate and pirate-hunter ensued. Gaspar's ship caught fire and was about to be boarded. Rather than give up and be hanged for piracy, Gasparilla wrapped a heavy chain around his waist and jumped off the bow of his ship.

While Gaspar disappeared beneath the waves, he was not forgotten, nor was his treasure. Gaspar had left it on shore with some of his trusted crew as he went to attack what he though was the merchant ship.

After the battle, the crew that remained onshore took the treasure inland and buried it in different places along the coast. None of Jose Gaspar's treasure has ever been recovered.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Gasparilla -

Diva Delight - wet or fast.
God Bless David Vivian. He sure wasn't afraid to race her as a 2yo was he? I don't know what shes been running against down there in Miami, but she sure shows up everytime.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
God Bless David Vivian. He sure wasn't afraid to race her as a 2yo was he? I don't know what shes been running against down there in Miami, but she sure shows up everytime.
Probably not facing much, but if she can blow them away like that going two turns, this 7f won't faze her. I'm guessing Rosie had her choice of more than one in here.

They're all going to be chasing Datt Echo, but I don't think she'll enjoy that last furlong on the Tampa sand.

I look for a nice race out of the 2 - Champagne Lady, at what will probably be a nice price. Two turn experience, been on the grounds since mid-December and will be roaring late.

It will be interesting to see if Uptowncharlybrown lives up to the hype in the Pasco. If he doesn't, Gesu will be flying up the rail again (as long as the rail doesn't turn into a bog). I'm not sure what happened to Benestar in the Inaugural, but the quick works since and Catalano showing confidence in entering him again, tells me he will run an improved race. Possible underneath use.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefrank
I am dropping small safe on Comic Marvel in the Gasparilla.
Mott said on ATR yesterday that she's scratching.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush
I wanted her to take all of the NYRA lovers money....
Old 01-16-2010, 09:16 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Probably not facing much, but if she can blow them away like that going two turns, this 7f won't faze her. I'm guessing Rosie had her choice of more than one in here.

They're all going to be chasing Datt Echo, but I don't think she'll enjoy that last furlong on the Tampa sand.

I look for a nice race out of the 2 - Champagne Lady, at what will probably be a nice price. Two turn experience, been on the grounds since mid-December and will be roaring late.

It will be interesting to see if Uptowncharlybrown lives up to the hype in the Pasco. If he doesn't, Gesu will be flying up the rail again (as long as the rail doesn't turn into a bog). I'm not sure what happened to Benestar in the Inaugural, but the quick works since and Catalano showing confidence in entering him again, tells me he will run an improved race. Possible underneath use.
Mallory Square surely ran like the extra 1/2 panel will be no problem for her. Could be just an exacta box 3-6
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Mike, as a side note, did you see your boy Fontana blow up the tote at Gulfstream for $57?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush
thank you kindly for the info!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
I wanted her to take all of the NYRA lovers money....
Dattt Echo will fill the void nicely
Old 01-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Mallory Square surely ran like the extra 1/2 panel will be no problem for her. Could be just an exacta box 3-6
The 2nd and 3rd place finishers out of that race ran yesterday - an uncharacteristically poor ride by R. Homeister compromised My Lady AP's chances who got up for 2nd, full of run. One shady lady ran an even race, blocked a bit but had no kick when cleared and rallied 4th - 4 lengths off the winner.

I'm giving her a cursory look underneath, but against a seasoned Diva Delite, I don't think there's much to like on top there. I will add the second place horse to DD out of the 1/2/10 starter, Deposit Only - as she has proven she can run with DD at the distance. Don't know what to make of Champagne Lady, but will have to find a way to include as well.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:

This horse had a very nice 5 panel drill before he spit the bit last time too - I hate leaving any Catalano horse off a ticket, but this is a tough leg to trim in - Gesu's parting of the Red Sea is not likely happening twice in two races and will most likely get swallowed whole from the post... I was more impressed with Silver Craft's allowance win last and comes right back to fire a 48.3 work. I don't get Homeister's mount Big Looie speed drawing far outside in a race not completely void of it may be a sneaky play as well.

Uptowncharliebrown, Silver Craft, Big Looie, and Black Diamond Cat as an upsetter if he can string two together has a powerful drill coming in and a preferred post with speed.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Flemington

The chart totally fails to mention Silver Craft's awful start:

http://equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/TAM011610USA9.pdf
Old 01-17-2010, 04:48 AM
Hollywood Park

Default TBD

Driving to TBD this morning (3 1/2 hour trip) - -

Will be there by 1st race post time. I see that Chuck Simon has a horse entered in the 7th, Albin.

Good luck to Chuck. I'll be wearing my Dee Tee stables cap in support.....

Last edited by keithting : 01-17-2010 at 05:01 AM.