Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Morris Park

Danzig, I'm sure that is true. But that's why I like this site: the opinions are interesting and for the most part from members who have a lot of inside knowledge.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Monmouth Park

One of the things that is always overlooked is what Secretariat did on the grass.The Man O War was against Tentam who was considred and rightfully so the best grass horse in the country.The way Secretariat won that race (and i was there) made Elliot Burch the trainer of Tentam say i've seen enough.His 2nd race which was a Woodbine in a deluge with Eddie Maple up was again freaky.To run on that course in only the 2nd time on grass was mind boggling.They never tried Bid on the grass.They both were great and an argument can be made for both,but i'll always put Secretariat at the top of my list.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC
Danzig, I'm sure that is true. But that's why I like this site: the opinions are interesting and for the most part from members who have a lot of inside knowledge.
yeah, i like it too! and of course it would be boring if we all agreed on everything. page after page of 'me too'. it does get a little heated in here at times, but strong opinions and egos will breed strong arguments. hopefully not too many hits below the belt....
Old 10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byebyemermaid
One of the things that is always overlooked is what Secretariat did on the grass.The Man O War was against Tentam who was considred and rightfully so the best grass horse in the country.The way Secretariat won that race (and i was there) made Elliot Burch the trainer of Tentam say i've seen enough.
Poor Tentam ... I always felt sorry for him ...

... he head a lock on the grass Eclipse ... and then they decided to try Secretariat on the turf.

What's worse ... Secretariat was then bred to Tentam's mom ... how's that for rubbing salt in the wound? ... and the result was Secrettame ... who produced Gone West and Lion Cavern.

Yup ... poor old Tentam.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Monmouth Park

Default 1972 is when i started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
Poor Tentam ... I always felt sorry for him ...

... he head a lock on the grass Eclipse ... and then they decided to try Secretariat on the turf.

What's worse ... Secretariat was then bred to Tentam's mom ... how's that for rubbing salt in the wound? ... and the result was Secrettame ... who produced Gone West and Lion Cavern.

Yup ... poor old Tentam.
I lived in Queens (still do) but went to school at Brooklyn Tech.My senior year i used to catch the Aqueduct special from Hoyt and Schermerhorn and enjoy those days at the races.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byebyemermaid
I lived in Queens (still do) but went to school at Brooklyn Tech.My senior year i used to catch the Aqueduct special from Hoyt and Schermerhorn and enjoy those days at the races.
Ahh ... yes ... the Aqueduct special ...

... when the track first opened ... they couldn't run enough trains. They were packed like the midtown subway during rush hour ... and ... when the doors opened at the Aqueduct station ... the stampede to the admission gates was something out of a John Ford western.

And how many people ... do you think ... know how to correctly pronounce "Schermerhorn"?