Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Danzig2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Not only did Holthus deserve better, but there was allegedly a condition in the Hines sale to Stonewall that provided 'Ron' stay with him throughout his career...
but from what i just read, holthus said he really expected to lose him back when stonewall purchased their share--that the new owners had made changes with other horses in the past...but that as time went on, he thought he would keep him since lawyer ron did so well this year.
not completely a surprise. they have an interest in the horse for the long run, can't say i blame them. ten minutes notice is crappy for sure tho!!
Old 09-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Arlington Park

I don't see why folks are upset about the "short" 10 minutes notice.

I've been downsized and I can't imagine that 10 minutes extra in my office would have been all that special.

It happens.

Holthus will be all right.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Churchill Downs

Is it possible that the new owners want to race Ronny in the big name races on the coasts, whereas Holthus would tend to keep him in the Midwest? That would make some sense for a farm trying to 'make' a stallion - let's face it, winning the Donn H would mean more to most stallion shoppers than the New Orleans H or Oaklawn H.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
Is it possible that the new owners want to race Ronny in the big name races on the coasts, whereas Holthus would tend to keep him in the Midwest? That would make some sense for a farm trying to 'make' a stallion - let's face it, winning the Donn H would mean more to most stallion shoppers than the New Orleans H or Oaklawn H.
Yes but he also faces getting his butt kicked by Invasor, Bernardini etc... Strong Contender wasn't holding up so well to the best in the east and LR lost to him. If anything, I stick around and keep capturing the 'other stakes'.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Jerome Park

I'll make the over/under on number of remaining starts for Lawyer Ron 3 1/2....and you have to lay a price to go under.

The Pletcherization of racing is not good for the game. Not Todd's fault but feeding too many top horses into one outfit is not beneficial to the overall health of the industry.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann

OHHHHHHHHH I want to see him run in the Donn Handicap! That would make me a happy girl.

Honestly, I thought if the change was going to be made, it would have been made after the Kentucky Derby. He (LR) didn't embarrass himself in the Super Derby.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Flemington

I wonder if he will be taken to California?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Sha Tin

I think that all horses should go to Pletcher. This would make it much easier on everyone. Just have all the horses with him and they will all become stake winners and all the owners will make millions syndicating the stallions and selling the mares in foal. No more tough decisions on who trains your horse, just give 'em to Todd and wait for the checks to come in.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Yes but he also faces getting his butt kicked by Invasor, Bernardini etc... Strong Contender wasn't holding up so well to the best in the east and LR lost to him. If anything, I stick around and keep capturing the 'other stakes'.
Come on, Lawyer Ron beat himself, or rather, John McKee beat him - Strong Contender just took advantage of the situation. Domedriver beat Rock of Gibraltar in the BC Mile, but you couldn't argue that he was the better horse off of that race.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:18 PM
oracle80

Look guys,
They overpaid for this horse, everyone in the business knows that.
He can't get them back at stud what they spent on him, with his record now.
The horse may just be the kind who can't relax, who knows.
But when you kick up a zillion bucks to buy a horse, you have to do what you have to do to try and get your investment back.
You wanna talk about sporting? Sporting is kicking up that kind of dough back in the spring to buy the horse. Does anyone not think that was "sporting"?
Its business, thats all. And I would suspect that Holthus got a commission on the sale, as well as the 10% of his lifetime earnings so far. I don't think they will be having any benefits for him anytime soon.
I'm also pretty sure that Holthus never goes to Florida in the winter, and ususally goes to Oak. I'm sure they were looking ahead at the big picture and wanted him in Florida this winter anyway, or California for the Malibu series. The change would have been made then anyway, so why wait.
Holthus is a great trainer, and he did an awesome job. Its just business.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
I wonder if he will be taken to California?
Actually, that would be a great way to go with him, take him out to the Strub series.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Its just business.
That is the problem with this business, it used to be more than just a business. And I think that most of anomisity that will be created because of this deal is not only with the way it was done (classless), but who the horse is going to. We all know Pletcher is a good trainer but when will enough be enough?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Saratoga

I should call Pletcher and ask him if he would accept me, he takes everything else in....
Old 09-29-2006, 01:37 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I should call Pletcher and ask him if he would accept me, he takes everything else in....
you're gonna need a sponser he doesn't take them in for free LOL
Old 09-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Del Mar

He would Scavs. You'd go from running 8 minute miles to 7 minute miles in 2 weeks.

Fleet Scavs, Scavs Indian.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
He would Scavs. You'd go from running 8 minute miles to 7 minute miles in 2 weeks.

Fleet Scavs, Scavs Indian.
ha, ha!
Old 09-29-2006, 01:46 PM
oracle80

Do you guys honestly think that Pletcher initiated this?
That he was calling the owners up and begging to get this horse?
I doubt it highly.
I would imagine that after being rank once again, and losing narrowly in a big money race, that the owners wanted to make a change and try something new.
I guess I understand that people dislike the rich getting richer. But where were you guys when Mandella got Rock Hard Ten? Why wasn't there crying or bellyaching then?
How about when Kirian got Henny Hughes? Where was this outpouring of concern over loyalty or sympathy?
I guess I don't get it.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:49 PM
top predator.

Quote:
where did anyone say this?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I doubt it highly.
I would imagine that after being rank once again, and losing narrowly in a big money race, that the owners wanted to make a change and try something new.
I guess I understand that people dislike the rich getting richer. But where were you guys when Mandella got Rock Hard Ten? Why wasn't there crying or bellyaching then?
How about when Kirian got Henny Hughes? Where was this outpouring of concern over loyalty or sympathy?
I guess I don't get it.
That one sucks too, because didn't Gary get the call while at lunch with Jason Orman?

You've voiced your opinion about how people can trounce on you in the business too. (stallion seasons) Sure it was the owner's right and sure it is business, but it still sucks.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:53 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
where did anyone say this?
Well I mean why the venom at Todd then? What exactly has he done wrong here?
A guy called him up and said we are making a trainer switch on the horse, will you take him? Only a fool wouldn't. If he had said no, they woulda called another guy. Someone was gonna get him, may as well have been him.