Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Well put, she has seemed to do better with his horses. I'm sure you saw the latest on the Belmont turf. Really not sounding good.
It's basically what I had already heard ( about the roots ). No, it didn't sound great. Let's just keep our fingers crossed. I just don't understand how those courses could be screwed up.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
We'll see...I suspect they'll go to KEE for the Alcibaides too to stretch her out and leave Octave for the Frizette....we'll see..

I do like Paint Raid some, but I thought that Cotton Blossom looked oike a route filly in the flesh and is bred to be a route filly, yet she won a graded stakes at the Spa around one turn - and did so with a wide trip....not horrible credentials in a down year to this point in that division....

I think Magical Ride is the best of her generation to this point, but you won't be able to van her around two turns....

Geez, Octave is even worse than Cotton Blossom. I certainly hope we see many better horses than those two plugs.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:12 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Geez, Octave is even worse than Cotton Blossom. I certainly hope we see many better horses than those two plugs.

Andy....if we could just get you to open up a touch and tell us how you really feel about a few horses....
Old 09-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Andy....if we could just get you to open up a touch and tell us how you really feel about a few horses....
You gotta take a stand in this game.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:18 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
You gotta take a stand in this game.

That you do...Im slowly learning that.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
They're Saratoga graded stakes winners.....not sure how much better a 2yo's credentials could get....

Octave's maiden win at CD was not horrible...not sure what happened next out but she did rebound.....I don't think she is a world beater, but she's okay...Unbr. Song out of Dr. Carter mare says sprinter/miler - so she probably has maximized her career...

The only reason I like Cotton Blossom is because she should stretch out with her pedigree and actually be better going two turns.....if you are a graded stakes winner at the Spa around one turn and are supposed to be better around two turns - you get a little benefit of the doubt from me....
Old 09-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Jerome Park

I'm not a result oriented guy Joel. I don't care what names may be attached to races horses ran. The simple fact is that both races were slow. I gave credit to Cotton Blossom for circling the field, though the second finisher had a tougher trip, but after her mediocre Spinaway effort I decided she has a strong case of the " slows ".

As for Octave, and the Adirondack, did you watch the race and evaluate the race from a pace and trip perspective? The race had about as big a pace/final time fig disparity as a race can have. She saved ground and had a perfect trip in a VERY slow race. She is a BUM. If you want to tell me Cotton Blossom will improve stretching out I will grant you that possibility, though I doubt she will beat anybody in even a relatively quickly run race, but Octave is simply a slow horse.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:37 PM
oracle80

Yeah,
And Debbie Got Even really set the world on fire today life and death under a drive for a HALF MILE to get by that other sterling performer.
Cotton Blossom would shred Debbie, and it wouldnt even be close.
Debbie confirmed today that she is a terribly slow animal.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Yeah,
And Debbie Got Even really set the world on fire today life and death under a drive for a HALF MILE to get by that other sterling performer.
Cotton Blossom would shred Debbie, and it wouldnt even be close.
Debbie confirmed today that she is a terribly slow animal.

Thanks...just looking for others opinions.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:41 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Thanks...just looking for others opinions.
But she is a very game slow animal. I have to admire that. BUt her beating Cotton Blossom? On what planet?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
I'm not a result oriented guy Joel. I don't care what names may be attached to races horses ran. The simple fact is that both races were slow. I gave credit to Cotton Blossom for circling the field, though the second finisher had a tougher trip, but after her mediocre Spinaway effort I decided she has a strong case of the " slows ".

As for Octave, and the Adirondack, did you watch the race and evaluate the race from a pace and trip perspective? The race had about as big a pace/final time fig disparity as a race can have. She saved ground and had a perfect trip in a VERY slow race. She is a BUM. If you want to tell me Cotton Blossom will improve stretching out I will grant you that possibility, though I doubt she will beat anybody in even a relatively quickly run race, but Octave is simply a slow horse.
yeah, I think less of Octave and want to clarify that I don't love either one of them...I think Cotton Blossom has more upside for stretching out....The problem is that there is only around 8 weeks till the Breeders' Cup and there really isn't a filly that I love because none of them appear to be much to this point....I even am not the biggest fan of Point Ashley buy you have to say that she is the #1 seed right now....I thougt I really liked Jump On In but she looked like a $10K claimer in the lane the other day without much excuse...

I also thought Steve Flint's filly Change Up may be alright (and she will be okay), but she is clearly a balls-to-the-wall, one-turn animal as well....there's just nobody to get excited about in this division that has accomplished anything..

I actually like Zito's filly on her upside and ability to get the distance the best right now, but thats not saying much.....
Old 09-11-2006, 09:44 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
But she is a very game slow animal. I have to admire that. BUt her beating Cotton Blossom? On what planet?

I never said anything about her beating CB. I just was looking for opinions on today's race from people that may have saw it.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:47 PM
5'8".. but all man!

if her work from 9/1 at Toga is right, she has to have some kind of speed.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Jerome Park

I don't know anything about the California horses and I realize there isn't much to go on from what we have seen from the maiden breakers. They are all just a bunch of possible potential. The stakes winners we have seen from Pletcher are mediocrities at the absolute best and will never beat any horses of true talent without the benfit of a LOT of help. On the other hand, we haven't seen enough from the East Coast fillies to be sure they are better. However, it won't take much.

The problem with liking either Octave or Cotton Blossom going forward is that we have seen three races from them and they have already taken a step or two back. It's not like that barn is known for resuscitating horses. I think we've seen the best from those two, and it aint much, and at least the newer and fresher faces haven't exposed themselves. Perhaps they won't be much either, but I would rather take a shot with them than the exposed mediocrities.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Jerome Park

It's hard for me to keep track of all the maiden breakers of Zito's from Saratoga, but it seems to me that Autobahn Girl, who is still a maiden, might prove to be the best. I liked her second to Imperial Reign who also may be very good.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
I don't know anything about the California horses and I realize there isn't much to go on from what we have seen from the maiden breakers. They are all just a bunch of possible potential. The stakes winners we have seen from Pletcher are mediocrities at the absolute best and will never beat any horses of true talent without the benfit of a LOT of help. On the other hand, we haven't seen enough from the East Coast fillies to be sure they are better. However, it won't take much.

The problem with liking either Octave or Cotton Blossom going forward is that we have seen three races from them and they have already taken a step or two back. It's not like that barn is known for resuscitating horses. I think we've seen the best from those two, and it aint much, and at least the newer and fresher faces haven't exposed themselves. Perhaps they won't be much either, but I would rather take a shot with them than the exposed mediocrities.
I guess I can't argue there...This year's BC Juvy filly winner might be like an Action This Day was a few years back...it has that feel to it right now with just 8 weeks till the race....Baffert will probably be even money and a bad fave at that price....

Who are you looking at right now as far as 2yo colts that are quality and could go on in the BC Juvenile?...It is well documented who I have hung myself out on here.....
Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Jerome Park

I have no idea and to be honest I don't pay an enormous amount of attention to the BC. I am primarily a day to day player and I try and focus on what is in front of me. Marrying myself to horses at this point won't do me any financial good.

That Assmussen/Blasi maiden breaker from closing weekend looked pretty damn good though. I would say he was the most impressive 2YO winner of the meet. He won pretty easily. I'm sorry City Snitch is out, as he looked good as well, though it's hard to guess how far he will go. I certainly have no problem looking past the stakes winners we saw at Saratoga, as while perhaps Circular Quay is a little better than I thought, I am not going to get excited about a horse who won a five horse race with effectively a four horse duel in front of him. The one interesting thing about him is that he seems to be a rare closer from that barn. I am curious to see if he maintains his running style effectively as they go longer. Regardless, I look forward to betting against him at a short price in the right spot.

Last edited by blackthroatedwind : 09-11-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
It's hard for me to keep track of all the maiden breakers of Zito's from Saratoga, but it seems to me that Autobahn Girl, who is still a maiden, might prove to be the best. I liked her second to Imperial Reign who also may be very good.
Yeah, she's got a runner's family, but her half sister, Chic and Hide, was a bona-fide sprinter and she was by the stamina-influenced Seeking the Gold - yet she could not go two-turns.....makes you wonder if thsi A.P. Indy filly will go on - although you would think she would......I ahevn't seen her or paid attention to her body type to understand what she is built for....Does she possess a routers body like most A.P. Indys?...long-bodied, etc....

The other problem with her is that she needs to break that maiden QUICK to have a serious pitch to point for the BC Juvy Fillies....might be a better 3yo if she is like most A.P. Indys....

Is Nick going to run her at Belmont or is he pointing for Keeneland with her? I would imagine he'll keep her in NY and try to win quickly with her there so that he can try to make Nov. 4th if he thinks she's that good....
Old 09-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Jerome Park

She could still break her maiden in a week or so and make the Frizette. Follow the Sun King route. As for knowing Nick's plans....I make it a point to let people tell me things. I don't particularly like to ask. If they want my opinion they can ask but I don't get up at 4 in the morning, or work 365 days a year, for over 12 hours a day, so I don't ask. And if I did....I wouldn't repeat it here anyway.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
I have no idea and to be honest I don't pay an enormous amount of attention to the BC. I am primarily a day to day player and I try and focus on what is in front of me. Marrying myself to horses at this point won't do me any financial good.

That Assmussen/Blasi maiden breaker from closing weekend looked pretty damn though. I would say he was the most impressive 2YO winner of the meet. He won pretty easily. I'm sorry City Snitch is out, as he looked good as well, though it's hard to guess how far he will go. I certainly have no problem looking past the stakes winners we saw at Saratoga, as while perhaps Circular Quay is a little better than I thought, I am not going to get excited about a horse who won a five horse race with effectively a four horse duel in front of him. The one interesting thing about him is that he seems to be a rare closer from that barn. I am curious to see if he maintains his running style effectively as they go longer. Regardless, I look forward to betting against him at a short price in the right spot.
I take it you're not a Scat Daddy fan then ......................Asmussen's colt is a runner, but Steve has always thought that Napa Cat was his best 2YO - but that colt is on the shelf right now......