Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Oaklawn

Wait til they start injecting sticks with Lasix.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

So the fact that an illegal stick penalty hasn't been called since 1993 isn't suspicious to anybody? Because I'm pretty sure wooden sticks are still being used even today and not a single NFL referee has made that call since 1993.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
So the fact that an illegal stick penalty hasn't been called since 1993 isn't suspicious to anybody? Because I'm pretty sure wooden sticks are still being used even today and not a single NFL referee has made that call since 1993.
I think we are talking about an extremely extremely low percentage still using wooden sticks (if there are any).
Old 06-05-2012, 02:11 PM

Well, maybe not today, but between 1993 and 2012, hundreds of NHL players used wooden sticks over thousands of games.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Well, maybe not today, but between 1993 and 2012, hundreds of NHL players used wooden sticks over thousands of games.
Where did you see that an illegal stick hasn't been called since 1993?
Don't forget that if the team that questioned the stick and was wrong, they were assessed a 2 minuted delay of game penalty.
The only time teams challenged were when they were down a goal or two late in the game and wanted a late PP trying to get back in the game.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 PM

There was an article from last week on McSorley that stated there hasn't been an illegal stick penalty called in the NHL since 1993. I can't remember it being called anytime before or after to be honest.

Like I said, shenaningans were afoot in that series. The Kings of 1993 have held ever since that the Canadiens were allowed access by an enterprising security guard into the Kings locker room to investigate stick curvatures. Ergo, Demers called for the stick measurement knowing full well that there was an illegal stick (or probably seven) on the other team.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:18 PM

Though that article clearly was incorrect, as there appear to have been a couple more recent illegal stick penalties:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...k-measurement/
Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Dee Tee Stables

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/80...rien-new-coach

hey, at least this way montreal gets mentioned in a post-season discussion.

can't believe they went back to therrien-but i never understand why a team goes back to a coach a second time if they let him go once already. but hey, at least he can speak french. because when one has been in a drought this long, that's what really matters.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
The referee doesn't make illegal stick calls, the stick has to be challenged by the opposing team.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Flemington

Devils actually get 2 past Quick tonight and it's good enough to get the series back to Newark.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Devils actually get 2 past Quick tonight and it's good enough to get the series back to Newark.
yeah...too bad.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:57 AM

I'm just psyched the games aren't starting at 10:00 like they do during the rest of the West Coast playoff games.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
That was big. The Devils D and Marty were very, very good last night. I won't be a bit surprised to see a game 6 back in LA. Game 5 will bring some violence and action into the series which I think suits the Devils a little more. I don't think they can win the series but I do see it going back to LA.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
guess who's staying near the meadowlands sat. night
if belmont goes well we might have to re-rally and head to the rock

2 cups, one day?

-bt-
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
That was big. The Devils D and Marty were very, very good last night. I won't be a bit surprised to see a game 6 back in LA. Game 5 will bring some violence and action into the series which I think suits the Devils a little more. I don't think they can win the series but I do see it going back to LA.
The Devils deserve a lot of credit for that win last night. They could have folded the tents after the Kings scored their first goal on the power play, after a ridiculous call on Clarkson. I thought they were done. But Marty outplayed Quick last night. Obviously they are still up against it big time. I think the series ends in game 5, hard not to like a team that has been perfect on the road for the entire post season.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post

2 cups, one day?

-bt-
You know the Rock and the Meadowlands isn't exactly across the street?
Good chance I'll end up at the Big M, zero percent chance that I end up in Newark.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
You know the Rock and the Meadowlands isn't exactly across the street?
Good chance I'll end up at the Big M, zero percent chance that I end up in Newark.
it's jersey, everything is relative to one another (ala meadowlands and rock)

meadowlands sat. night eh? you know how well thought out plans go on days like saturday right?

-bt-
Old 06-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heels1989 View Post
Wait til they start injecting sticks with Lasix.
I've milkshaked mine and it doesn't help.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post

2 cups, one day?

-bt-
I always wanted to see Richards, Carter and Gagne hoist the cup. It was supposed to be in orange though.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
I always wanted to see Richards, Carter and Gagne hoist the cup. It was supposed to be in orange though.
If they had a goaltender half as good as Quick, your dream would have probably come true.