Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-29-2017, 06:52 PM
Santa Anita

Default Mattress Mack opens stores to Houston flood victims

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000003

If you know anybody who needs help, there are folks actively reaching out to shelter/feed flood victims so spread the word. There is so much work to be done still in the rescue effort never mind in housing the rescued, and some people like Joel Osteen had to be browbeaten on Twitter over not inviting people to use a 16,800 capacity church for shelter. I'm trying to reconcile Mack's actions (and his similar behavior in the face of things like Katrina) with his reputation in this sport. Is he just a complicated guy? A friend of mine posted this HuffPo article gushing about how it's nice to know there are good people like this in the world. I want to give people credit for good deeds but I also grimaced when I read that. Sometimes folks do things and it just confuses you that it's the same person. If anybody who knows more about him can put it in context for me, I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:46 AM
Louisiana Downs

Maybe I'm just jaded and a horrible cynic, but two words come to mind: FREE ADVERTISING.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:07 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Business Decisions

In Life during gold rush it's good to be in the pick and shovel business. after a flood, it's good to be in the furniture or carpeting business.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:37 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bare it all View Post
Maybe I'm just jaded and a horrible cynic, but two words come to mind: FREE ADVERTISING.
You have no idea what kind of relationship he has with the City of Houston. Don't judge based on Maria Borell, Runhappy or anything of the sort. His philanthropy has been beneficial for many people in many different walks of life for years.

He also has no need for free advertising. We all know exactly who he is and what his store sells.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:24 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
You have no idea what kind of relationship he has with the City of Houston. Don't judge based on Maria Borell, Runhappy or anything of the sort. His philanthropy has been beneficial for many people in many different walks of life for years.

He also has no need for free advertising. We all know exactly who he is and what his store sells.
Well, there's no such thing as no need for free advertising (they still spend money on Star Wars ads when the darn thing comes out even though you'd think it'd be obvious) plus if he didn't need to advertise he wouldn't have done things like sponsor a Gallery Furniture stakes race in Houston.

I did have the cynical reaction because it does make him look super good when we know he's hardly the most generous employer. It's not just the Maria/Runhappy thing--he's gone through trainers like nobody's business and put live animals in the care of that sister-in-law with no ability. Still, he's been philanthropic to the point of getting attention from the Bushes. Of course, I'm sure he also donated to their campaigns. It's not necessarily lacking in self-interest, but I doubt the people of Houston care why any more than the people of Newark care why Zuckerberg dumped $100 million into their school districts. Does it really have to be selfless after a certain point? Wasn't DW Griffith a real horse's butt and yet he donated so much that he's remembered positively for things like the Observatory?
Old 09-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Santa Anita

https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/s...55598866759681
Old 09-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Del Mar

Hi all.

I temporarily reside in Houston (for family medical reasons) and was here during this awful flood, and I can tell you you that Mattress Mack helped out thousands of displaced people. Many of which were living in our apartment complex and lost their homes and all their possessions when every unit on the 1st floor was destroyed by 3-4 feet of water. Those of us who luckily live in 2nd or 3rd units took in as many displaced 1st floor tenants as possible but there was just not enough space.

I don't know this man personally or his back story and I never even knew he was involved with Run Happy. What I do know is he had a way to help many and he delivered and literally saved lives. I think that is much bigger than reading into whatever business motives he may or may not have. Personally having gone through this and fearing for my family's lives, I think this guy is pretty darn OK.

And having been in Houston only going 1 month now, I can tell you its filled with some of the greatest, most generous people I have ever been around. It wasn't a city I wanted to be in and I greatly misjudged it. Its a fantastic place and I am enjoying the community.