Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: Are you happy about ObamaCare being upheld?
Yes 21 51.22%
No 20 48.78%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Santa Anita

Default Happy about the ObamaCare ruling?

Just a simple yes or no...
Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Keeneland

58 views, but only 15 people bother to vote?

Just like real life.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Belmont Park

"Who gives a fuc1<"

Should have been an option.

The country as we know it has been doomed for some time now. This just seals the deal.

If it helps the Conservatards get though it any easier, think of it as a Taxpayer funded corporate bailout for your immune system.

Last edited by Rudeboyelvis : 06-29-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Louisiana Downs

Lightbulb yes

of course.
victory for Obama and the future...
America needs to wake up......

Obama knows whats best for the country,
Old 06-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
The country as we know it has been doomed for some time now.

Yep, since March-2003...

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Del Mar

Smile Here's a happy camper...

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 06-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Steve Byk

Great little aside by Charlie Pierce in Esquire about an Alzheimer's pilot program that looks very progressive. If you have an aging parent you're worried about, you should read.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politic...4215b49d134735

One of the overlooked elements in Thursday's decision to uphold the Affordable Care Act is that, beyond the individual mandate and the hysterical politics surrounding it, the act itself is chock-full of innovative ideas and pilot programs and all sorts of other experimental goodness directed toward making easier the lives of people dealing with serious health problems. Like, for example, Alzheimer's Disease.

Tucked away in the act is a pilot program for 10,000 people called the Independence At Home program. This is a technique first developed by the Veterans Administration by which a patient with a chronic disease, like Alzheimer's, is treated in his or her own home by a team of doctors, nurse practitioners, geriatric pharmacists, and any other health professional whose specialty is required.

This is not only cost-efficient, being infinitely cheaper than hospitals and nursing homes, but it is a comfort for the patients and their families, for whom familiar surroundings can be essential for psychological well-being.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Great little aside by Charlie Pierce in Esquire about an Alzheimer's pilot program that looks very progressive. If you have an aging parent you're worried about, you should read.

One of the overlooked elements in Thursday's decision to uphold the Affordable Care Act is that, beyond the individual mandate and the hysterical politics surrounding it, the act itself is chock-full of innovative ideas and pilot programs and all sorts of other experimental goodness directed toward making easier the lives of people dealing with serious health problems. Like, for example, Alzheimer's Disease.

Tucked away in the act is a pilot program for 10,000 people called the Independence At Home program. This is a technique first developed by the Veterans Administration by which a patient with a chronic disease, like Alzheimer's, is treated in his or her own home by a team of doctors, nurse practitioners, geriatric pharmacists, and any other health professional whose specialty is required.

This is not only cost-efficient, being infinitely cheaper than hospitals and nursing homes, but it is a comfort for the patients and their families, for whom familiar surroundings can be essential for psychological well-being.
it is absolutely true that people do so much better when in their own home than elsewhere. whether for alzheimers (a pernicious, horrible disease) or something else. nursing homes are awful, just awful. staffed by people with little training and paid min. or just above wages. but man, they make money for the owners don't they? i found it interesting that while hospital stocks rose, home health took a nose dive yesterday. last i heard, the average monthly tab for a nursing home is currently $5k. that's obscene. you could stay at a nice hotel for less than that (and probably get better care).
Old 06-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
it is absolutely true that people do so much better when in their own home than elsewhere. whether for alzheimers (a pernicious, horrible disease) or something else. nursing homes are awful, just awful. staffed by people with little training and paid min. or just above wages. but man, they make money for the owners don't they? i found it interesting that while hospital stocks rose, home health took a nose dive yesterday. last i heard, the average monthly tab for a nursing home is currently $5k. that's obscene. you could stay at a nice hotel for less than that (and probably get better care).
I worked about 6 years in nursing homes as Social Service Director....Danzig is correct, staff are underpaid (grossly) and undertrained to say nothing of understaffed. It is a horror show for all involved and all about money. People work all their lives only to see their savings taken by the cost of nursing homes, the treatment of our elderly and our injured vets are two of the biggest crimes against humanity that go unnoticed in this country.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
I worked about 6 years in nursing homes as Social Service Director....Danzig is correct, staff are underpaid (grossly) and undertrained to say nothing of understaffed. It is a horror show for all involved and all about money. People work all their lives only to see their savings taken by the cost of nursing homes, the treatment of our elderly and our injured vets are two of the biggest crimes against humanity that go unnoticed in this country.
i wonder how much of the money paid monthly for their 'services' goes to the nursing home owners or shareholders pockets? medicaid (meaning tax payers) pays thru the nose for many, the rest paying thru the nose for their own care. one patient pays the monthly salary of four workers, and probably part of a fifths. you have to figure about ten patients/residents (or victims, depending on your POV) probably pay the entire salary for all employees. a few more provide the meals. use your imagination to figure where the rest goes.
nasty, horrid places for the most part. i'll run a hose from the car to the house and go to sleep forever before i go to a place like that.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
i wonder how much of the money paid monthly for their 'services' goes to the nursing home owners or shareholders pockets? medicaid (meaning tax payers) pays thru the nose for many, the rest paying thru the nose for their own care. one patient pays the monthly salary of four workers, and probably part of a fifths. you have to figure about ten patients/residents (or victims, depending on your POV) probably pay the entire salary for all employees. a few more provide the meals. use your imagination to figure where the rest goes.
nasty, horrid places for the most part. i'll run a hose from the car to the house and go to sleep forever before i go to a place like that.
We all hope we don't end up there...none of us (except the rich) know.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
We all hope we don't end up there...none of us (except the rich) know.
i'll just have to get rich before i get old. now, there's a plan!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
Yep, since March-2003...
Actually a lot further back than that. Maybe you can look back to when Bush the 1st and Clinton were walking around arm in arm once they figured out how to bamboozle congress into believing NAFTA was going to be a great thing.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post

That's awesome. I've heard about some of the other great things in the ACA (more doctors, better and more general practitioners, poor area outreach, more research), but not that particular program
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
i'll just have to get rich before i get old. now, there's a plan!
I wish you success...I forgot that money changes everything somewhere along the line.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Louisiana Downs

Lightbulb money changes everything

money changes everything

of course.