Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Because, and it pains me to say, Street Sense was always phony.
Thats the worst, and most inaccurate thing I've EVER heard you say.

Then I read your Pyro tout thread.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He was heads the best that day but not shoulders

I will give you the BC but you have a hard time convincing me that the Preakness proved Curlin was "head and shoulders" better than the other three year olds.
Not to mention, trip or no trip, he got SMOKED in the Derby by the top two. SMOKED. Beating the incredible Imawildncrazyguy and Sedgefield (neither who have run a STEP since then) in a photo for 3rd does nothing to prove he was head and shoulders best.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Thats the worst, and most inaccurate thing I've EVER heard you say.
I laughed.

But honestly, look at Street Sense's final four races...

Jim Dandy: A very workmanlike slow figure win with CP West a length and a half back in 2nd. Cowtown Cat was menacing on the turn and finished like 4th by 3.

Travers: He sat right off of the lightly raced and lacking foundation Grasshopper (who was making his stakes debut) - and needed almost the entire length of the stretch to win.

Ky Cup: An unpressured Hard Spun was pulling away from him through the lane

Breeders Cup Classic: Tried to win the race by moving in tandem with Curlin, he simply couldn't stay with him and was fractured trying. Coming off of the bridel late and losing 3rd to suck-up Awesome Gem.

The people who think Street Sense was some kind of monster have to base that laughable opinion solely on his BC Juvenile, Tampa Derby, Kentucky Derby, and Preakness efforts - all of which came with the same fast paced setup and the same dream trip.

I call him a phony only because his mind-boggling repute was built on the basis of four big races that anyone should have been able to identify as dream trips for the ages.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I respect your opinion but on this matter your assumptions may not be correct. Horses are horses. If a horse has an issue that an illegal drug can deal with they will run better regardless of class. There is a theory that trainers arent taking a big risk because they are using substances for which there are no tests. If there are no tests then there can be no positives. The amount of research done on possible unknown drugs is not much. Dubai, japan, hong kong or here.
Good point. I hadn't thought of all the things that they have no tests for.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Flemington

Quote:
You are absolutely correct in modern day thinking. It is not what they did, it is what might have happened if everything worked out. You have a huge career in the breeding business (horses)
It is what they did.

And I have no plans of getting into the breeding business anytime soon - horses or humans.

Not until Emily dumps the Silent Bob after the Nutra-Sytem diet looking guy and comes back to me.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I laughed.

But honestly, look at Street Sense's final four races...

Jim Dandy: A very workmanlike slow figure win with CP West a length and a half back in 2nd. Cowtown Cat was menacing on the turn and finished like 4th by 3.

Travers: He sat right off of the lightly raced and lacking foundation Grasshopper (who was making his stakes debut) - and needed almost the entire length of the stretch to win.

Ky Cup: An unpressured Hard Spun was pulling away from him through the lane

Breeders Cup Classic: Tried to win the race by moving in tandem with Curlin, he simply couldn't stay with him and was fractured trying. Coming off of the bridel late and losing 3rd to suck-up Awesome Gem.

The people who think Street Sense was some kind of monster have to base that laughable opinion solely on his BC Juvenile, Tampa Derby, Kentucky Derby, and Preakness efforts - all of which came with the same fast paced setup and the same dream trip.

I call him a phony only because his mind-boggling repute was built on the basis of four big races that anyone should have been able to identify as dream trips for the ages.
I don't disagree with your assessment of his final 4 races, none of which were spectacular despite actually winning two of them. He didn't move forward, and the other two did. However, I don't think anyone considered Street Sense a "monster" (despite perhaps the best BCJ performance of all time.) I would describe him more as "excellent" and "deserving", but definitely NOT phony.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
It is what they did.

And I have no plans of getting into the breeding business anytime soon - horses or humans.

Not until Emily dumps the Silent Bob after the Nutra-Sytem diet looking guy and comes back to me.
Ok well he ran in 4 grade 1 3 year old races and lost 3 of them. If SS or HS had won the BC, there would be no way anyone could say that Curlin was head and shoulders above the other 3 year olds. So basically one big win on a sloppy track is the determining factor. That is hardly dominant
Old 04-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Sheepshead Bay

I dont think SS was a monster either but at least he didnt get bitch slapped by a filly.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgar311
I dont think SS was a monster either but at least he didnt get bitch slapped by a filly.
The funny thing is that filly never would have entered the Belmont if Street Sense had yet didn't let Curlin scare her away.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Ok well he ran in 4 grade 1 3 year old races and lost 3 of them.
You are being too much of a results queen....

Curlin was a very lightly raced horse - who happened to have some genuine no doubt about it bad luck when the spotlight was on.

I know you and I disagreed about his race in the Belmont way back when - but it would be very hard for you to knock his other three races - because he had brutal circumstances in each.

This whole 'Let's just focus on the final results of 4 races' way of thinking is also pretty silly.

Secretariat lost the Champagne, Wood Memorial, Whitney, and Woodward stakes. Easy Goer won each of those four races in ultra impressive fashion. That doesn't mean anything does it?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
You are being too much of a results queen....

Curlin was a very lightly raced horse - who happened to have some genuine no doubt about it bad luck when the spotlight was on.

I know you and I disagreed about his race in the Belmont way back when - but it would be very hard for you to knock his other three races - because he had brutal circumstances in each.

This whole 'Let's just focus on the final results of 4 races' way of thinking is also pretty silly.

Secretariat lost the Champagne, Wood Memorial, Whitney, and Woodward stakes. Easy Goer won each of those four races in ultra impressive fashion. That doesn't mean anything does it?
Results matter. I fail to see the 'brutal" circumstances he had in the Belmont and Haskell. He was not a dominant 3 year old, he just wasnt. Secretariat was. Even Point Given was. Curlin wasn't.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Flemington

Obviously not dominant to the extent the two you mentioned were.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Arlington Park

No offense to anyone here. Like I said earlier I thought 2007 was a superb crop of 3 yr olds. Case closed.

I don't see the reason to run anyone of them down to make a point that one was superior to another. I believe Curlin was head and shoulders above the rest that is just my opinion, but reasons were stated in my earlier posts. I also think Street Sense, Hard Spun, Any Given Saturday and Rags to Riches are wonderful horses. If anyone of them were running this year anyone of them would probably be at the head of the class by years end.

All this making Curlin's accomplishments even more amazing, maybe we should just all agree this was a superb class that we were fortunate to see all of them run last year. I know I was.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Oaklawn

Had to bump this one back up... While I understand Mr. Haskin's attempt at 'taking a shot,' I guess he could have picked a better one than a horse who finished last!! Sorry, had to take a jab!