Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Fairgrounds

Default Oh My God!

Wow!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fischer
Big Brown fits those requirements, but we've only seen 2 races. He may be great he may be good , he may be too fragile.

How much does that little burst and being 5 wide cost a Big Brown in terms of lengths when compared with his rivals? 5 lengths? 8 lengths?
and what
Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Oaklawn

The Derby Favorite
Old 03-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Oaklawn

Some people will have crow on the menu tonight! One of them will be me.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Oaklawn

well he was a heavy fav.
The public had no idea what he was up against. I feel like i did a good job of weighing track dynamics in thinking he had a chance to buck the trend, but really i was backing a heavy fav....

oddly those who took the "logical" approach were in the minority outside the internet...
Old 03-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Coach Pants

Must've been a dime or more on the show.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Oaklawn

Cool

he paid $22.00 to win on Derby Trails!
Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsoxfan
The Derby Favorite
Can hardly wait for the Big Brown vs. War Pass match up

You can your Big Browns of the world.....will be the biggest bust since Arazi in '92.....mark my words!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 03-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Golden Gate

Just for a minute lets pretend that horses can bounce. That doesn't mean that Big Brown couldn't win the Roses, but I think it's a little early to drink the Kool Aid.

Not that I upset I didn't bet him.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Some people will have crow on the menu tonight! One of them will be me.
Why will people be eating crow? I don't want to take the time to read through this whole thread again, but I don't remember very many people bashing the horse. I don't think anybody said that he didn't have a chance to win.
Some of us just didn't think he was a particularly good wager in this race. It turns out he was perhaps better than we thought he was, but I don't think anybody really knocked the horse.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Why will people be eating crow? I don't want to take the time to read through this whole thread again, but I don't remember very many people bashing the horse. I don't think anybody said that he didn't have a chance to win.
Some of us just didn't think he was a particularly good wager in this race. It turns out he was perhaps better than we thought he was, but I don't think anybody really knocked the horse.
Can't remember, but I think I was one who said he had no shot based upon his post. I'll eat crow for dinner... why not? Nothing better to eat around here.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
You really should have taken the time to re-read the thread. In fact I've re-read my own post about 10 times and not once in those 15 words did I mention the word bash. The fact of the matter is that if you re-read the thread, which obviously you didn't, many people thought he would have no chance to win from that post. I for one (although I didn't post it on here) felt the same way.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Arlington Park

Okay, I STILL don't want to read the whole thread again but I'll take your word for it and stand corrected. Maybe some people did think he had "no shot."
I honestly don't know how they could have thought that about a horse that did what he did in his first two lifetime starts......but oh well. My basic point was that I think MOST of the people that didn't like him because of his post were well aware that the horse might be capable of doing something like this, but given the odds we chose to take a stand against him. There is no reason to eat crow for that.

Also, you re-read your own post ten times? Sounds like an exciting weekend you've got going on there!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
You really should have taken the time to re-read the thread. In fact I've re-read my own post about 10 times and not once in those 15 words did I mention the word bash. The fact of the matter is that if you re-read the thread, which obviously you didn't, many people thought he would have no chance to win from that post. I for one (although I didn't post it on here) felt the same way.
stating the fact that the post was a big hurdle and therefore deciding to take a stand against, is not the same thing as saying he had no chance.
I personally decided not to play him for the combined reasons (low odds, bad post, third start in GR1, etc), but never did I consider that he had NO chance. its never that black and white.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Big Brown has no shot to win from that post.
And here it is...

Would anyone like to join me?

Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Okay, I STILL don't want to read the whole thread again but I'll take your word for it and stand corrected. Maybe some people did think he had "no shot."
I honestly don't know how they could have thought that about a horse that did what he did in his first two lifetime starts......but oh well. My basic point was that I think MOST of the people that didn't like him because of his post were well aware that the horse might be capable of doing something like this, but given the odds we chose to take a stand against him. There is no reason to eat crow for that.

Also, you re-read your own post ten times? Sounds like an exciting weekend you've got going on there!
Oh My.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
stating the fact that the post was a big hurdle and therefore deciding to take a stand against, is not the same thing as saying he had no chance.
I personally decided not to play him for the combined reasons (low odds, bad post, third start in GR1, etc), but never did I consider that he had NO chance. its never that black and white.
I really don't want to get into a battle of semantics but some people said No Chance. Can we just leave it at that. I really didn't think people would get there feelings so hurt over a post that was meant to just bust some chops, including my own. If I really thought the horse could win, I would've won a lot of money regardless of his odds. I keyed him under Eslyium Fields and Smooth Air.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Oaklawn

I don't care what u say, the smartest $5 dollar horse i defended all year
Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Didn't you agree earlier in the week that he should be scratched?
yes, he did.