Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Coach Pants

Default It has to be said

The Breeders' Cup is going to suck. The three extra races are overkill. The location is terrible. The Classic is too small of a field to be called Classic. There aren't enough euros shipping for the turf races. The Juvenile Turf had to be approved by someone who aspires to be Corky from "Life Goes On." ESPN will ruin what is left of the sport.

There. I feel better now.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I somewhat agree with all of that except for the location part. Nothing wrong with the Jersey shore, and the weather is going to be about 2,831 times better than it was at Churchill last year.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Arlington Park

They...would...have...to...sprout...wings...to find a worse Breeders' Cup than this one.
Oh, and that might be another reason the BC will suck. Is he calling it again this year?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Oaklawn

It aint perfect but it's great.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:02 AM

Come on, they had the Breeders Cup at Lone Star three years ago, people! Lone Star! At least Monmouth has some kind of tradition and a few big GI races. Monmouth is aesthetically pleasing a track as there is outside of Saratoga and Del Mar.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:03 AM

I don't know how it's going to turn out. Could be some exciting races. But going in, this is the least excited I've ever been about a BC. Even the Classic, likely to determine HOY, is far below the standard that this race should be at. Only one horse in the field has ever run a figure higher than 115 and only four have gone over 110. Nobody in the Distaff field makes anyone think of Paseana or Personal Ensign or Go for Wand or Bayakoa. Hell, not even Pleasant Home. None come close to reaching the level that is par for this race. Take out Midnight Lute's 124 outlier and the best we have for the Sprint is Idiot Proof's 113. The run by Dylan Thomas is nice to have since we don't usually get the Arc winner anymore. The addition of George Washington has added at least a little intrigue. The craziest part about all of this is that the most exciting horse, the one everyone will be anticipating seeing the most on the card will be running Friday. Discreet Cat is still the one people want to see.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
They...would...have...to...sprout...wings...to find a worse Breeders' Cup than this one.
Oh, and that might be another reason the BC will suck. Is he calling it again this year?
oh god yes he is calling it, so we'll get the same stuff over and over.

like whenever a horse in a route race takes a clear lead into the backstretch they are always "just loping along, ears pricked, taking it all in". if i hear that again i will scream. aren't the other loping along with their ears pricked? or is it only the leader who is on a clear lead?

"moving like a winner"
Old 10-19-2007, 09:15 AM

If there is one horse I really don't care about that is running, it's Discreet Cat. He so jumped the shark like two races ago.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:15 AM

Unlike others, I personally feel like having Trevor call the races makes the day that much better.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Unlike others, I personally feel like having Trevor call the races makes the day that much better.
Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB6NdbRDVkQ

I don't think Trevor calling makes the day better.

NT
Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB6NdbRDVkQ

I don't think Trevor calling makes the day better.

NT
Ok. I do.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Is it too late to lobby for the usual colored saddle cloths or

Irakus so we can actually follow the races .......
Old 10-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
The Breeders' Cup is going to suck. The three extra races are overkill. The location is terrible. The Classic is too small of a field to be called Classic. There aren't enough euros shipping for the turf races. The Juvenile Turf had to be approved by someone who aspires to be Corky from "Life Goes On." ESPN will ruin what is left of the sport.

Pillow, we agree most of the time, but I think you're completely wrong here. The Classic field is too small? Did they say that in '89? Who cares about the Euros, I'm sick and tired of losing money on buying into the hype anyways.

And if you think Monmouth is a terrible location, you obviously haven't been there. It's a fantastic racetrack and it should have been brought here a long time ago.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Oaklawn

The weather at Churchill last year was nice. It was cool in the morning, but it warmed up later in the afternoon.

I was looking at the PP's yesterday trying to come up with some possible pick 6 tickets and I was thinking, man what a horrible Breeders Cup.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants

Well I agree about the location and the lack of Euros.

This is the least excited I've been about the BC.....
Old 10-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey17
The weather at Churchill last year was nice. It was cool in the morning, but it warmed up later in the afternoon.

I was looking at the PP's yesterday trying to come up with some possible pick 6 tickets and I was thinking, man what a horrible Breeders Cup.
I'd be happy if they had the BC at Churchill every year, but it was COOOOOLD last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Well I agree about the location and the lack of Euros.

This is the least excited I've been about the BC.....
C'mon, why's everyone hating on Monmouth?!? I guarantee everyone that goes will come away saying "I had no idea it was this good".
Old 10-19-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey17

Were you there last year? It was cold and miserable, and by classic time, the temps had to be in the mid-40's. Louisville isn't supposed to be that cold that early in the year.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Pillow, we agree most of the time, but I think you're completely wrong here. The Classic field is too small? Did they say that in '89? Who cares about the Euros, I'm sick and tired of losing money on buying into the hype anyways.

And if you think Monmouth is a terrible location, you obviously haven't been there. It's a fantastic racetrack and it should have been brought here a long time ago.
Except now you have scumbags owning and training the premier horses. How I miss the days of Charlie Whittingham and Shug McGaughey at the top of their game.

Steve Asmussen is nothing more than a criminal in my eyes. The guy should be in prison, not in the winner's circle on BC day.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
C'mon, why's everyone hating on Monmouth?!? I guarantee everyone that goes will come away saying "I had no idea it was this good".
Do you have an "in" with Mother Nature Phil? If so, make sure it is warm and sunny because I am on the apron on Saturday with no cover.

Never been to Monmouth so I have no opinion on the venue. I'll take your word for it.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Were you there last year? It was cold and miserable, and by classic time, the temps had to be in the mid-40's. Louisville isn't supposed to be that cold that early in the year.
I was down on the rail right where the starting gate is for 1 1/16 races. I thought the weather was nice. I wore a pair of khakis and a short sleeve button-up shirt.

I do hope Monmouth has better concessions that Churchill did last year.
Closed Thread