Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Sha Tin

Default George Washington coming now?

Reported on another board...BC Classic
Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Woodbine

Read the same thing in The Thoroughbred Times this am.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:38 PM
The Curragh

Also reported here on two different threads........ so we really need another

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 10-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Benevolus

This horse coming is pretty interesting. I don't think there is an Invasor or Bernardini in this group, but Lawyer Ron and Curlin look pretty tough. It would not shock me though if GW finished ahead of Street Sense and Hard Spun. I say he goes off around 20-1, despite the hype around him.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:20 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benevolus
This horse coming is pretty interesting. I don't think there is an Invasor or Bernardini in this group, but Lawyer Ron and Curlin look pretty tough. It would not shock me though if GW finished ahead of Street Sense and Hard Spun. I say he goes off around 20-1, despite the hype around him.
If the horses that are lining up this year lined up last year he could have hit the board, but he is way off form this season and in most of his starts he has looked rather ungenuine. I can't see him doing much in the Classic. I don't like Danehills on dirt, and the form he has shown this years means he's have to be at least 25/1 for me to give him even a second look.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Benevolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
What is interesting about him?
He is the only returning horse from last year's classic and appears to be the only older horse (other than Lawyer Ron) who is going to run.

The most interesting thing though is these guys don't just enter horses for fun. They must think he can atleast hit the board. His chances are significantly higher than some of the horses that have come from overseas and run big races ($200 payout one year I believe). The only thing I don't like about him is he probably will be overbet because of his name recognition and being the only european in there. It wouldn't shock me at all if he won. I can't say I am overly impressed with anything in the race.

Lawyer Ron- looked average over Monmouth track
Curlin- Not getting by the filly makes me wonder
Street Sense- Not that tough outside Churchill
Hard Spun- Don't think he wants the distance (although GW might not either)
AGS- great effort at Monmouth, but last was slow
Tiago-has to beat a top horse somewhere

GW- probably won't like the distance, but it would be no shock to me with this field.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:46 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
He is the only returning horse from last year's classic and appears to be the only older horse (other than Lawyer Ron) who is going to run.

The most interesting thing though is these guys don't just enter horses for fun. They must think he can atleast hit the board. His chances are significantly higher than some of the horses that have come from overseas and run big races ($200 payout one year I believe). The only thing I don't like about him is he probably will be overbet because of his name recognition and being the only european in there. It wouldn't shock me at all if he won. I can't say I am overly impressed with anything in the race.

Lawyer Ron- looked average over Monmouth track
Curlin- Not getting by the filly makes me wonder
Street Sense- Not that tough outside Churchill
Hard Spun- Don't think he wants the distance (although GW might not either)
AGS- great effort at Monmouth, but last was slow
Tiago-has to beat a top horse somewhere

GW- probably won't like the distance, but it would be no shock to me with this field.
The distance is no problem, he showed that in the Eclipse. The surface, however probably will be a major problem.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
The distance is no problem, he showed that in the Eclipse. The surface, however probably will be a major problem.
Agreed
Old 10-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Benevolus

Quote:

Didn't see it but his pedigree says he could run that far too and his classic last year was credible. Really comes down to how good this years group of horses are. I don't see any Invasor or Bernardini here though, so a GW win would be no shocker to me.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Benevolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I pretty much disagree on all fronts. GW was MUCH better last year. Lawyer Ron did not look ordinary over Monmouth, he was beat a neck by a horse who is a monster over the track and is the one to beat in the BC Dirt Mile. Curlin was by the filly and just beat Lawyer Ron. He appears to be coming back to form. Street Sense is a good horse no matter what track he runs at. I'm not keen on Hard Spun either, but the distance will not be what does him in IMO. AGS was slow, but if he can reciprocate his race 2 back, he probably wins.

Or they could all be ove . Lawyer Ron couldn't beat a good horse last year and the older horse division is awful. Worst in years. The 3yr old division looks great but they just take turns beating each other. A very good horse could easily beat them.

You are right though that GW appears to have been better last year, but I don't think an incredible effort will be needed to beat this bunch.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:35 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Or they could all be ove . Lawyer Ron couldn't beat a good horse last year and the older horse division is awful. Worst in years. The 3yr old division looks great but they just take turns beating each other. A very good horse could easily beat them.

You are right though that GW appears to have been better last year, but I don't think an incredible effort will be needed to beat this bunch.
Anaverage effort from a good horse might well win the classic, but it would need an incredible effort from GW to win this on his current form and on a surface on which Danehills usually can't get out of their own way. He went on it okay last year, but i'm of the opinion that every horse will go on a surface it doesn't like once.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Del Mar

George Washington has NO shot. . . I can't believe they're actually going to run him in the classic. . . I guess I could see sending him to the mile but this is just an attempt to squeeze another race out of a horse that they can't profit off of in the breeding shed. . .
Old 10-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Sheepshead Bay

If they go in the classic and lose... no big deal... they tried..... If they go for the mile and he loses.... could cost big bucks breeding....
Old 10-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedejxn
If they go in the classic and lose... no big deal... they tried..... If they go for the mile and he loses.... could cost big bucks breeding....
he's a stud barn reject. he's already lost any potential big bucks, as he's a blank shooter.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
he's a stud barn reject. he's already lost any potential big bucks, as he's a blank shooter.
He isn't completely infertile, he is just sub-fertile. Someone i know has heard that the Coolmore boys said that they were going to test his fertility again this Autumn. Maybe they have, and maybe his 'boys' are swimming in the right direction now

He got six (i think) mares in foal. It will be interesting to see what his few progeny turn out like.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
He isn't completely infertile, he is just sub-fertile. Someone i know has heard that the Coolmore boys said that they were going to test his fertility again this Autumn. Maybe they have, and maybe his 'boys' are swimming in the right direction now

He got six (i think) mares in foal. It will be interesting to see what his few progeny turn out like.
i wonder if they'll have crooked tails??

i think he'd have to really have some good swimmers in there before they try again--all those re-dos if he is still sub-fertile. yeah, i knew they said sub- not in-, but seemed the easiest way to describe it! hell, maybe they're just shy.

odd tho, isn't it. horse named for a guy with no children, and he's sub-fertile. what are the odds?!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:54 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i wonder if they'll have crooked tails??

i think he'd have to really have some good swimmers in there before they try again--all those re-dos if he is still sub-fertile. yeah, i knew they said sub- not in-, but seemed the easiest way to describe it! hell, maybe they're just shy.

odd tho, isn't it. horse named for a guy with no children, and he's sub-fertile. what are the odds?!
If GW (the horse) was actually human he'd be like the popular kid at school who all the kids wanted to hang out with and then all of a sudden his girlfriend told everyone he was crap in bed

I hope his progeny turn out to be very good, i'm not sure which mares he got in foal, but he would have only been given the best mares possible.

It just makes me think that maybe something has changed. He was taken out of the QEII at the last moment, same has happened with the Champion (which doesn't look like a strong race), and there hasn't really been a reason.

In my opinion it is still favourite that he doesn't turn up at Monmouth, either.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Oaklawn

it would shock me if GW won. .
Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Jerome Park

He has absolutely no chance. The only way anyone would even consider him would be because they don't follow racing.

He has not run one race all year even reminiscent of his form last year. Hardly surprising considering he was retired.

Coolmore has run more than a few that were obviously over the top that ran up the track....like Montjeu and Hurricane Run. And they were even more, seemingly, likely on paper.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedejxn
exactly

also the same reason why i do not understand the "sporting" sentiment attached to this decision.