Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Sunshine Park

Default Virginia Derby

Steppenwolfer appears to the ML favorite, but I know a few on this board love Kip Deville (9-2 ML). Can he run another monster race in only 3 weeks back and adding the distance? He seemed to have a nice workout yesterday I believe.

Also gotta root for Go Between being out of the great Point Given.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPLichorowiec
Steppenwolfer appears to the ML favorite, but I know a few on this board love Kip Deville (9-2 ML). Can he run another monster race in only 3 weeks back and adding the distance? He seemed to have a nice workout yesterday I believe.

Also gotta root for Go Between being out of the great Point Given.

Any thoughts?
Kip Deville is lone speed and will never get headed until the far turn, so if you think he won't bounce (and Dutrow's rarely do), then he is the handicapper's play IMO...As a matter of fact, I bet he goes off as the decisive favorite in the race...just my opinion, but if I were laying odds based on his last effort and the fact that he is absolutely lone speed again, I'd make him the fave rather decisively....I don't like the horse, but he'll even get a better set up this go around than last time IMO....he gets the best rider in the country in my opinion in Bejarano, which is a huge step up, and if Rafeal can slow him/settle him down ANY, he will still have an easy lead and will probably wire this group....Roman Dynasty is the only horse that remotely has any speed in here and I just don't see him going after KD until they go into the far turn because they know that he'll jeopardize his race.....
Old 07-11-2006, 08:21 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Manchu Prince
Old 07-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Idlewild Airport

The best rider in the country? C'mon. Best means number 1 last time I looked.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:24 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Manchu Prince
He is borrowing Showing Up's jockey for a race. Best of luck to him.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
The best rider in the country? C'mon. Best means number 1 last time I looked.
Rafael Bejarano is the most talented rider in the country IMO, and the one I would prefer to ride over any of them...period...Now, that is MY OPINION, and we are entitled to have those on here, right? Oh, BTW, I'm also a national racing analysts and it is my job to offer these opinions based on my educated observations - and on top of that, I watch Rafael ride live everyday at CD and have seen all the good ones in person....sure Prado is good and Velazquez has a sweetheart deal by getting to ride all of the Motorboats that he rides, but for my dollar - I'll take Rafael....
Old 07-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Suffolk Downs

they said they plan to go to a lenghty lead again. They feel he bottomed all but showing up last out. How's this for news....they told me he was only about 90 percent for his last start as he missed two breezes from a reaction to a vaccination shot. They feel they have him perfect for this one...look out.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
Rafael Bejarano is the most talented rider in the country IMO, and the one I would prefer to ride over any of them...period...Now, that is MY OPINION, and we are entitled to have those on here, right? Oh, BTW, I'm also a national racing analysts and it is my job to offer these opinions based on my educated observations - and on top of that, I watch Rafael ride live everyday at CD and have seen all the good ones in person....sure Prado is good and Velazquez has a sweetheart deal by getting to ride all of the Motorboats that he rides, but for my dollar - I'll take Rafael....
Fair enough. I actually haven't liked some of his rides he's given my horses lately when I've bet them, but he is generally solid.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:36 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
JV is in a league of his own. Bejarano is at the top of tier two.