Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-11-2006, 02:57 PM
boldruler

Default Darley Finally loses something

That is quite a price for a young filly.

http://auctions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=34345

King Kamehameha Filly Smashes World Auction Record for Foal in Japan
by Deirdre B. Biles
Date Posted: 7/11/2006 2:47:34 AM
Last Updated: 7/11/2006 8:19:01 AM
A strapping filly from the first crop of the Kingmambo stallion King Kamehameha smashed the world record for a foal or weanling sold at public auction Tuesday in Japan.
Her price soared to 600 million yen ($5,217,391) during the opening session of the Japan Racing Horse Association select foal sale at the Northern Horse Park. Nobutaka Tada of Globe Equine Management Co. was the buyer, fighting off strong challenges from Dr. Riki Takahashi of Sheikh Mohammed's Darley Japan and Fusao Sekiguchi, who raced Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Fusaichi Pegasus.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Cunningham Racing

Believe me, if they had really wanted her they would have gotten her...
Old 07-11-2006, 03:02 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
Believe me, if they had really wanted her they would have gotten her...
That's what they said about the Green Monkey.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Santa Anita

6 Native Dancers in this one plus 3 Northern Dancers and a Nureyev Cross. 4 grade 1 winners on the bottom line including the dam.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:21 PM
boldruler

Here she is. Looks pretty nice to me, but I can't say I know exactly what to look for in a young horse.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/tod...65016&subsec=4
Old 07-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Hialeah Park

She certainly has the look and the blood.
That's a lot of $$ for a weanling.
Can't wait to see her in a couple of years.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:11 PM
top predator.

gosh, that filly's legs go on forever...she look's racy even at this young age. I like that they don't let em get as fat as a lot of the weanlings you see in the US, it's better fo them in the long run.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
She certainly has the look and the blood.
Can't wait to see her in a couple of years.
You've got that right. She already looks like a champion.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Bold Brooklynite

They paid $5 million for a weanling? A filly who can't be more than 6 months old?

Sheesh !!! There's an awful lot of money floating around these days.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
That's what they said about the Green Monkey.
If you only really knew.....Lets just say this, if Darley would have bid The Green Monkey up to $100 million they still would not have gotten the horse....the deal was done before that horse entered the ring and the consignor wishes that he got half of what the final bid price was - if you follow me....
Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
They paid $5 million for a weanling? A filly who can't be more than 6 months old?

Sheesh !!! There's an awful lot of money floating around these days.
I agree with this too....beleiev me, she'll have a lot of growing to do yet and a lot of changing will happen and there is no guarantee that she'll be as attreactive as a yearling or 2yo, etc.....as a matter of fact, it is probably likely she looks as good as she'll ever look relative to her age....
Old 07-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
I agree with this too....beleiev me, she'll have a lot of growing to do yet and a lot of changing will happen and there is no guarantee that she'll be as attreactive as a yearling or 2yo, etc.....as a matter of fact, it is probably likely she looks as good as she'll ever look relative to her age....
But she'll look a lot better once the braces come off.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Honestly, I've seen weanlings that looked better than that. JMO of course. The only things I really like about that filly is her neckline and hindquarters.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:25 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Honestly, I've seen weanlings that looked better than that. JMO of course. The only things I really like about that filly is her neckline and hindquarters.
They are paying for her bloodlines. They are about as good as it gets as Sumitas indicated above.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
They are paying for her bloodlines. They are about as good as it gets as Sumitas indicated above.
I realize what they're paying for... but there is more to a horse than its bloodlines.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:34 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I realize what they're paying for... but there is more to a horse than its bloodlines.
These guys with deep pockets know the game is really about the band of broodmares you own. You know much more than me about the looks of a horse, but with weanlings/yearlings, the bloodlines are what they are buying. The horse might change significantly over the next year, but the bloodlines wont.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Churchill Downs

I think she looks great for a weanling, especially a Thoroughbred racehorse weanling. You don't ever buy the perfect looking weanling/yearling because that is the best that they will ever be. You always buy the weanling/yearling that looks like they are going to turn into something. She is definitely above average for a weanling IMO, but I judge weanlings differently than a lot of people do just because I have worked with so many of them and have watched so many grow and develop. She is what I look for and I think she will turn into a beautiful swan. Not to mention, she has the bloodlines to boot.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
These guys with deep pockets know the game is really about the band of broodmares you own. You know much more than me about the looks of a horse, but with weanlings/yearlings, the bloodlines are what they are buying. The horse might change significantly over the next year, but the bloodlines wont.
She is not exactly by Storm Cat or Seattle Slew, she is by a son of Kingmambo, who is not exactly a sire-of-sires at this point...as a matter of fact, aside from Lemon Drop Kid - who has been a failure at sire - he has NO relavent stallions in North America.....I'm not saying her pedigree is porr by any means, but that is a LOT of cash to dish over for a weanling filly - even if she were by Sunday Silence, Storm Cat, Seattle Slew or God!!!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
She is not exactly by Storm Cat or Seattle Slew, she is by a son of Kingmambo, who is not exactly a sire-of-sires at this point...as a matter of fact, aside from Lemon Drop Kid - who has been a failure at sire - he has NO relavent stallions in North America.....I'm not saying her pedigree is porr by any means, but that is a LOT of cash to dish over for a weanling filly - even if she were by Sunday Silence, Storm Cat, Seattle Slew or God!!!
Don't forget about King Cugat (who will finally make a name for himself once Seaside Retreat wins this weekend lol.)