Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Oaklawn

Default Hollywood Gold Cup

It would appear that Lave Man lost some luster today. I know most of you don't think the weights make a differance, but at 1 1/4 mile I think it does. It looks like Lava Man really doesn't want a mile and a quarter. Think we will have a bigger field in the Pacific Classic?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
It would appear that Lave Man lost some luster today. I know most of you don't think the weights make a differance, but at 1 1/4 mile I think it does. It looks like Lava Man really doesn't want a mile and a quarter. Think we will have a bigger field in the Pacific Classic?
A mixed bag really...on the one hand, Lava Man clearly struggled in the stretch, the entire race fell apart really just as Jerry Bailey said. On the other hand, the grit and determination he displayed is what separates a champion from other horses...the old saying applies here..."the good ones win the close ones and they overcome trouble to do so!" Lava Man clearly stumbled coming out of the gate, PVal cut him off in the first turn (legally), he overcame a lot today and found a way to win...still, that last quarter makes you wonder....
Old 07-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
A mixed bag really...on the one hand, Lava Man clearly struggled in the stretch, the entire race fell apart really just as Jerry Bailey said. On the other hand, the grit and determination he displayed is what separates a champion from other horses...the old saying applies here..."the good ones win the close ones and they overcome trouble to do so!" Lava Man clearly stumbled coming out of the gate, PVal cut him off in the first turn (legally), he overcame a lot today and found a way to win...still, that last quarter makes you wonder....
Completely agree ... Lava Man wasn't terrific today ... but he did what he had to do ... and the ten pound weight pull does make some kind of difference at 10f.

He ran just an OK race ... but still won. I wouldn't bet him in the BC Classic future book though.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
I don't know if I would say that he "lost some luster." He stumbled out of the gate in a G1 race in which he was carrying top weight and in which he was running on dirt for the first time in awhile. That sounds like a recipe for disaster, but he still won.
I would not have bet him to win the Classic before this race OR after the race. I am just not sure you can win a G1 and lose luster.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:30 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
I don't know if I would say that he "lost some luster." He stumbled out of the gate in a G1 race in which he was carrying top weight and in which he was running on dirt for the first time in awhile. That sounds like a recipe for disaster, but he still won.
I would not have bet him to win the Classic before this race OR after the race. I am just not sure you can win a G1 and lose luster.
That field was a disaster. lava is fast becoming a legend with his heart and incredible determination. How can you not love this horses heart? But as far as him coming east later on this year to face horse like invasor or Flower Alley, forget it, no way. If you have to struggle to beat Ace Blue in a nose Bob on your home track, well, I mean its kind of hard to imagine that translating to anything when he comes east.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Randwyck

Detention barn probably didn't help LM much either. So he had a lot going against him and still gritted out the win. Gotta love the effort. But count me as one of the doubters when the competition steps up a bit.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Morris Park

You know, if this race were in a vacuum or we just didn't see much of LM, I'd say the jury is out on this horse, but that stumble set my heart racing. It wasn't little. My heart pumped all the way through. Plenty of "good" horses or even champions would have lost, but he stuck it out. It wasn't pretty. I doubt if it was, in form, even good. But he got 'er done, as they say. With the early fractions being really paltry, the lead should have been able to do it. I was most impressed with Ace Blue. In my short time watching racing, when a quarter and the half are that slow, usually, I see the front runner steal it easy. So, all in all, taking in his turf races too, this is a helluva horse. I think maybe it is true, that turf is his real milieu. Which, in a way, makes all these dirt races even better. Also, we know he isn't good with heat. I don't know, looked like a damned dog fight to me. Not pretty, not dazzling, but down, dirty and another notch on the belt. Isn't this a good reason to watch this horse?
Old 07-08-2006, 11:33 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupster2
You know, if this race were in a vacuum or we just didn't see much of LM, I'd say the jury is out on this horse, but that stumble set my heart racing. It wasn't little. My heart pumped all the way through. Plenty of "good" horses or even champions would have lost, but he stuck it out. It wasn't pretty. I doubt if it was, in form, even good. But he got 'er done, as they say. With the early fractions being really paltry, the lead should have been able to do it. I was most impressed with Ace Blue. In my short time watching racing, when a quarter and the half are that slow, usually, I see the front runner steal it easy. So, all in all, taking in his turf races too, this is a helluva horse. I think maybe it is true, that turf is his real milieu. Which, in a way, makes all these dirt races even better. Also, we know he isn't good with heat. I don't know, looked like a damned dog fight to me. Not pretty, not dazzling, but down, dirty and another notch on the belt. Isn't this a good reason to watch this horse?
Another Grade I win for Lava Man--what else do you want the horse to do?
Old 07-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Hey, I have no beef with him. I love this horse. Did my post indicate something else? If so, it was just bad writing.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:36 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupster2
Hey, I have no beef with him. I love this horse. Did my post indicate something else? If so, it was just bad writing.
I dont think I meant to quote you--sorry.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:40 PM
pgardn

What the hell the horse was close to his knees... He got taken wide around the first turn by Magnum and found himself in a position he is not used to. Then he got sent too early and the damn horse still won. He had every reason to lose that race. A winner. I dont know how the heck he does in the future but that was the race of a winner.

Horse is a heck of an athlete to regain his footing so quickly. That was a hell of a tough win.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Flemington

I know it seems very minor,but I'd give this horse 35-40 days off between races(not the 28 he had going into today's race.)
Old 07-09-2006, 12:04 AM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
I know it seems very minor,but I'd give this horse 35-40 days off between races(not the 28 he had going into today's race.)
Oh i agree. I guess they are going to the Pacific Classic. Not sure when that is, but it has to be his next race.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Sunshine Park

I've never given Lava Man the credit he deserves and have always thought he was a little overated. He changed my mind after this last race. I thought it was very impressive. After stumbling badly and being forced to rate third, he still showed enough heart to squeeze out a victory. He would have had a legit excuse if he didn't run a lick. I still think he would be better served staying on the West Coast but I'm a bigger fan of his after this victory.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:19 AM
oracle80

Hey hes become a legend. My favorite horses are the ones who try like hell to win no matter what the obstacles. hes a dead game dude, and I love him. But even with the stumble he beat Ace Blue by a 1/16th of an inch. I'm thinking he may find Invasor and Flower Alley just a "tad" tougher, especially out of the friendly confines of California.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Hey hes become a legend. My favorite horses are the ones who try like hell to win no matter what the obstacles. hes a dead game dude, and I love him. But even with the stumble he beat Ace Blue by a 1/16th of an inch. I'm thinking he may find Invasor and Flower Alley just a "tad" tougher, especially out of the friendly confines of California.
Guess I'm still having a tough time thinking of Flower Alley as an intimidating force, Invasor is good right now but at Churchill in November??? Long way to go and the Pacific Classic could be another tough race but then the others will be tested also...right now, I'd play Lava Man if the race were today...he reminds me of Tiznow with that heart and Tiznow did "OK" in the BCC as I recall despite his doubters!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
I'll take a horse like Lava Man over the over-rated Flower Alley anyday, he actually races. His schedule is out there for all to see, if he's so bad why not come out and challenge him? Lava Man is as good as anyone right now, Flower Alley has done nothing to make me place him higher than he is, Flower Alley is having a pussified schedule of hand-picking late in the year races ,while Lava Man is in the trenches on both surfaces slugging it out and winning Grade 1's, not hiding in the barn.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:00 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE
I'll take a horse like Lava Man over the over-rated Flower Alley anyday, he actually races. His schedule is out there for all to see, if he's so bad why not come out and challenge him? Lava Man is as good as anyone right now, Flower Alley has done nothing to make me place him higher than he is, Flower Alley is having a pussified schedule of hand-picking late in the year races ,while Lava Man is in the trenches on both surfaces slugging it out and winning Grade 1's, not hiding in the barn.
I believe Invasor is coming out there to challenge him in the next one. Flower Alley seems to like Saratoga and has two races for him there. The BC Classic will decide it all but I wouldn't count out Bernardini.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Del Mar

I'll take a horse like Lava Man over the over-rated Flower Alley anyday

I agree 100%. While Lava Man may not have beaten the best grade 1 fields out there, he hasnt ducked a single horse and his schedule has been made very clear. Those with the traditional East Coast bias are welcome to send thir horses out West to take him on before the BC, but have chose not to. The mighty Seek Gold sure looked great on Saturday! LOL!

Lava Man has won 3 grade 1's (winning on both surfaces) plus 2 other races while the only thing Flower Alley has done is beat Gold and Roses in a listless glorified NJ allowance race.

Sure Flower Alley is top notch but it doesnt do the fans any good keeping their favorite horses in their barns. We've seen Flower Alley once in 9 months, while Lava Man has run 5 times in that timeframe. You tell me if this is even a contest right now?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
I'll take a horse like Lava Man over the over-rated Flower Alley anyday

I agree 100%. While Lava Man may not have beaten the best grade 1 fields out there, he hasnt ducked a single horse and his schedule has been made very clear. Those with the traditional East Coast bias are welcome to send thir horses out West to take him on before the BC, but have chose not to. The mighty Seek Gold sure looked great on Saturday! LOL!

Lava Man has won 3 grade 1's (winning on both surfaces) plus 2 other races while the only thing Flower Alley has done is beat Gold and Roses in a listless glorified NJ allowance race.

Sure Flower Alley is top notch but it doesnt do the fans any good keeping their favorite horses in their barns. We've seen Flower Alley once in 9 months, while Lava Man has run 5 times in that timeframe. You tell me if this is even a contest right now?
Do you really think Seek Gold is a top east coast horse?

I thought it was cool that he won the Stephen Foster, but I don't think he's close to a Top Older horse...

The HOY is not won in the early part of the year, may not be right, but that's the way it is, besides Lava Man's a Gelding, he has to earn on the track, what do you think Flower Alley will make with track and stud fees, alot more than Lava Man, so I would definetely rather own him...