Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Dee Tee Stables

what has it cost herbstreit to make the report? nothing.
he and others do it all the time. where is the punishment if they're wrong? nowhere. oh, well a source said-he didn't confirm it, he was too anxious to get it out there before the game....so they run with it. there's no harm, no foul if they're wrong, so why not hope to be right?

mark may announced nutt resigned as a done deal, as tho nutt was already packed and gone, weeks before it actually happened. who went after him for making a report that at the time was incorrect? no one. it was reported grobe was going to arkansas, didn't happen. it's not life or death, so no one really feels they're laying their neck on the line to run with a possible story.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Don't forget his exclusive self-tanner contract.
and hair gel...and pencils.

what's the deal with everyone holding a g--d--- pencil anymore?!?! even al michaels does it now.
thanks lee corso.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Don't forget his exclusive self-tanner contract.
Really...I have no great feeling on Herbstreit one way or the other..I really don't.

He doesn't even have the rep of someone who breaks news so by looking at the whole thing it seems to me he did have what he reported. I think that alone is probably what caused all the hernias.Easy to see.

I'm sure no one was happy this broke right before their conf. title game thus the mass damage control.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
what has it cost herbstreit to make the report? nothing.
he and others do it all the time. where is the punishment if they're wrong? nowhere. oh, well a source said-he didn't confirm it, he was too anxious to get it out there before the game....so they run with it. there's no harm, no foul if they're wrong, so why not hope to be right?

mark may announced nutt resigned as a done deal, as tho nutt was already packed and gone, weeks before it actually happened. who went after him for making a report that at the time was incorrect? no one. it was reported grobe was going to arkansas, didn't happen. it's not life or death, so no one really feels they're laying their neck on the line to run with a possible story.

You're blind Dannie.

Herbstreit said on national tv he went over the details with his bosses at ESPN...and they said to report it.

I can't say anymore to you pointing out how grossly illogical are your thoughts here. You hate Ohio State and therefor you hate Herbstreit...I guess. That's all I can see from you.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i didn't even know til just now that herbstreit played at osu. i knew he played somewhere.

did you read the ombudsman article i put up the link to? the lady who wrote it said that herbstreit should never have run that story the way he did. that it was irresponsible on his part.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Dee Tee Stables

excerpts from her article:

As Herbstreit's later remarks would make clear, that information came not from "sources," but from a single, anonymous, uncorroborated source.

Herbstreit stood by his source, despite Miles' continued emphatic assertion that he was staying at LSU, until the ESPN college football analyst finally was forced by circumstances to concede his error the next day.

Given an anonymous source, who to judge by repeated on-the-record denials was not Miles, his agent or Michigan athletic director Bill Martin, and given the degree of at least slight doubt implied by "barring any unforeseen circumstances," why did ESPN go with a story that risked affecting outcomes -- the championship game and the job negotiations -- by itself becoming an unforeseen circumstance?

"Given that no deal is done until an agreement is signed, we could have tempered this one more than it was," Doria said. "In hindsight, we should have said something like, 'A source has told ESPN that Miles and Michigan have agreed on money and length of term, but no contract is signed, and Miles has to go to Michigan for a face-to-face interview with AD Bill Martin.' "

That would have been better, but we have been given no reason to believe it would have been any more true. All we know for sure is that ESPN's reputation as a reliable source of "scoops" has taken another blow. When viewers respond to the phrase "a source has told ESPN" with a "we'll see" attitude, as many who write me say they now do, it undermines the efforts of ESPN's entire staff of producers, editors and reporters
Old 12-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
i didn't even know til just now that herbstreit played at osu. i knew he played somewhere.

did you read the ombudsman article i put up the link to? the lady who wrote it said that herbstreit should never have run that story the way he did. that it was irresponsible on his part.

Is the lady right?

Should he have reported it?

I don't know...maybe not...but all I'm saying regarding the report is it makes no sense to me he would report something like that unless he and his bosses felt they were on firm ground.

I'd say what has happened since then only reinforces it.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
You're blind Dannie.

Herbstreit said on national tv he went over the details with his bosses at ESPN...and they said to report it.

I can't say anymore to you pointing out how grossly illogical are your thoughts here. You hate Ohio State and therefor you hate Herbstreit...I guess. That's all I can see from you.
I don't care for Ohio State, but I actually enjoy Herbstreit. He is typically one of the more knowledgeable reporters on ESPN IMO.

With that said, I don't believe that Les Miles will be going to Michigan. LSU is a better coaching job and I can't see him leaving.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Thistley Downs

I read the story again,Dannie.

I'm still not sure what it says other than she doesn't feel they should have reported it.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I don't care for Ohio State, but I actually enjoy Herbstreit. He is typically one of the more knowledgeable reporters on ESPN IMO.

With that said, I don't believe that Les Miles will be going to Michigan. LSU is a better coaching job and I can't see him leaving.

Oh he may not...I never said he will leave. I think he will.

But putting all this together makes me think there are serious things going on between Miles,Michigan and LSU.

How you can possibly say LSU is a better job than Michigan other than pay ( for now).....is mind boggling.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I read the story again,Dannie.

I'm still not sure what it says other than she doesn't feel they should have reported it.
i think her article had more to do with trying to get espn to not jump so quickly to conclusions, since the miles story was one of three she mentioned. seems she wants them to go more for accuracy than speed.

hey, i don't have an issue with herbstreit, this one time is the only story i know of in which he seemingly jumped the gun.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
i think her article had more to do with trying to get espn to not jump so quickly to conclusions, since the miles story was one of three she mentioned. seems she wants them to go more for accuracy than speed.

hey, i don't have an issue with herbstreit, this one time is the only story i know of in which he seemingly jumped the gun.

Well we don't know. I believe he got it from where he said...maybe not....but I believe he did.

It seems the reporting of it blew the timing up.So one view could be he jumped te gun...but I do believe he felt he had good stuff.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Keeneland

Quote:

But putting all this together makes me think there are serious things going on between Miles,Michigan and LSU.

How you can possibly say LSU is a better job than Michigan other than pay ( for now).....is mind boggling.
If I had a choice to coach LSU or Michigan, I would take LSU and this is why:

In current-day recruiting, LSU hardly ever loses out on a recruit that is also interested in Michigan (if ever)... they may lose some recruits to USC and Florida, but LSU is privy to some of the more sought after recruits in the South. While Michigan has 7 NC titles, I don't see them on the up and up while I DO see LSU headed that direction. This is JMO for what it is worth...
Old 12-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I think if you really look at this......LSU made it public that Michigan asked for ( and received) permission to talk to Miles about the Michigan job.That'd be the only job mentioned in his LSU contract finding it necessary for Miles to give LSU 1.25 mill. should he jump to Michigan.This is because Michigan is Miles' number one desire as he is Michigans'. This is no news.

No stay with me on this..............is it very hard to connect a line from this sequence of fact and lead it to contract negotiations?

Do you really think Herbstreit just made his report up out of chocolate pudding??

The guy with the million plus dollar sports analyst/game commentater job?
the monday after herbstreit's report mike tirico opened his radio show by backing herbstreit. tirico went on to say they he knew herbstreit's source and it was trusted. tirico went on, that he had recieved a call from one of his sources, that miles was leaving, so he stood behind herbstreit.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i think i just got a little more clarity in this situation.
who broke the story that miles spoke with michigan last week? the detroit free press.
why? because they, and many others up there, and elsewhere nationally, cannot fathom someone rejecting michigan in favor of lsu--or practically any team. especially a coach who had professed in the past that the job there was his dream job. he's an alum, he has ties. and he's proven himself a winner, which michigan badly wants...

they just had a report on espn that went over the miles situation. they're now crossing miles off the michigan search list, and saying mich needs to go to the list of the 20-odd coaches they have, and begin anew.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Coach Pants

Michigan would've hired a coach by now. ESPN is going to flip flop every other day to keep interest in the storyline.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
If I had a choice to coach LSU or Michigan, I would take LSU and this is why:

In current-day recruiting, LSU hardly ever loses out on a recruit that is also interested in Michigan (if ever)... they may lose some recruits to USC and Florida, but LSU is privy to some of the more sought after recruits in the South. While Michigan has 7 NC titles, I don't see them on the up and up while I DO see LSU headed that direction. This is JMO for what it is worth...
Recruits were starting to grow wary of playing for Carr.

It's a no-brainer for me who I would rather coach for. It's Michigan hands down. Far less pressure than the SEC.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Dee Tee Stables

is tenuta still leaving ga tech? maybe he's going to michigan, he was reported as part of the package with miles that day.....
Old 12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:

good lord! i agree with morty.

at this point IF miles stays at lsu he will have the michigan job hanging over his head just like roy williams had the unc basketball hanging over his.
3 yrs from now, michigan is deeper in the toilet than they are now, and begging miles to save them, he'll go next time for sure. he's a michigan player and alum and taught by Bo! in Bama terms "momma called", miles will go back to michigan.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Recruits were starting to grow wary of playing for Carr.

It's a no-brainer for me who I would rather coach for. It's Michigan hands down. Far less pressure than the SEC.
as a league the big 10 is the big 2 plus 9. all the michigan coach has to do is be .500 against osu and get to the rose bowl every 3-4 yrs.
the SEC has become one big street fight, there is NO off season now.