Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Pigs are a lot smarter then horses..Do cows being slaughter make you feel better?
Freddymo, read Larhage's well said post to understand where I'm coming from.

Anyone who enjoys horse racing and is not concerned for the well being and humane treatment of race horses after they can no longer race, in my opinion needs to stop and think why not. Without the horse there's no racing at all for those of us that enjoy this sport or make a living in this industry. When you get down to it, our sport is really all about the horse. Who has the fastest horse on that day, in that race. Everything these race horses do is for human entertainment and hopefully financial gain.

Pigs are a lot smarter then horses - so what? What about the cows? These statements have nothing to do with this topic. Nothing at all.

As the ad states, "we have to take care of our own". After all, they've done enough at that point.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrat59 View Post
Freddymo, read Larhage's well said post to understand where I'm coming from.

Anyone who enjoys horse racing and is not concerned for the well being and humane treatment of race horses after they can no longer race, in my opinion needs to stop and think why not. Without the horse there's no racing at all for those of us that enjoy this sport or make a living in this industry. When you get down to it, our sport is really all about the horse. Who has the fastest horse on that day, in that race. Everything these race horses do is for human entertainment and hopefully financial gain.

Pigs are a lot smarter then horses - so what? What about the cows? These statements have nothing to do with this topic. Nothing at all.

As the ad states, "we have to take care of our own". After all, they've done enough at that point.
I has no use for killing horses for food nor do I wish to eat them but seriously whats the difference killing a horse for its meat to sustain human life then killing a pig etc.. Of course I hope any animal is slaughtered as humanely as possible but as long as the animal is eaten and not wasted and humanely slaughter who am I to judge what others elect to eat?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Hollywood Park

Go ahead and judge. Not everything in this world is acceptable.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
I has no use for killing horses for food nor do I wish to eat them but seriously whats the difference killing a horse for its meat to sustain human life then killing a pig etc.. Of course I hope any animal is slaughtered as humanely as possible but as long as the animal is eaten and not wasted and humanely slaughter who am I to judge what others elect to eat?
That's the key. Slaughter, as it presently exists, for most livestock is inhumane. Only 50% of the beef slaughterhouses use the Temple Grandin method of leading cattle to slaughter.

Pigs are rasied in horrendous conditions - from the moment of birth. Watch HBO's "Death on a Factory Farm". If you can eat a morsel of pork after watching that, you've got a really strong stomach.

Same applies to veal. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for baby calves to go through such horrendous upbringing before they are sent to slaughter.

Horses? They were not bred to supply meat. And, I pity the person who eats the flesh of these animals with all the toxins contained in that flesh. And, using the same method of slaughter for horses as they do cattle is the worst inhumanity. The anatomy of a horse's skull is way different than a cow. That bolt misses it's mark more times than not.

It's sheer greed that promotes the horse slaughter business. No one starving can afford to eat horse flesh. It's sent overseas and sold for upwards of $50/lb. It hasn't been used in pet foods since the 60's.

Too many horses are bred and will continue to be bred so long as there's a way to offload the unwanted to the meat men for $300 - $700/head.

How many horses are stolen right out of their pastures only to meet their end in a slaughter house?

Closing down American slaughter houses was the right thing to do, but it was like throwing a 50' rope to someone who is drowning 100' away.

Stop transport across American borders. It won't stop all horse slaughter, but it will stop the bulk of it.

Follow the money trail. Take away the money made on horse slaughter, and indiscriminate/overbreeding will eventually lessen. It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

But, first, Washington has to get off their collective lead asses and close the borders to horse slaughter traffic.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 06-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
So donate to your local thoroughbred retirement organization and feel good.

[IMG][/IMG]

When I donate I do in the name of Hendrix or Drilling for Oil ***** or another I was a fan of...

Quote:
We must insist that we deal with our country's unwanted horses humanly. Not all can be saved but none of our horses should be slaughtered.
I know what you mean and that your heart is in the right place but I've come to accept that there are just too many and this is a sad truth.

Hopefully one day it won't be and hopefully all those people will burn in hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
Closing down American slaughter houses was the right thing to do, but it was like throwing a 50' rope to someone who is drowning 100' away.
This is a brilliant line. I applaud your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE View Post
Piga and Cows are not companion animals, they are actually bred for their meat, horses are not. I understand not everyone wants to keep a horse till it dies of natural causes, but than have the balls or guts to euthanize that animal that served you for your pleasure, instead of capitalizing on their grisly death. I have a 22 year old rotten, mean as hell gelding, he's unsound, but I brought him into this world, he won numerous awards and ribbons for me and therefore has earned the right to be taken care of for the remainder of his life, he will be euthanized humanely when his time comes, if I can afford to do this, than people 100,000 times richer than me can, it's just a question of morals and how you truly view your horses.
Great post.

Quote:
Anyone who enjoys horse racing and is not concerned for the well being and humane treatment of race horses after they can no longer race, in my opinion needs to stop and think why not
My friend... honestly there are some real hard asses here. There are some who are so tough and who seem like their straight out of ****ing Goodfellas or something (oh shut up it's true).

I'll tell you something though...

These guys... every single one of them, if you talk to them privately?

They're teddy bears.

You'd be amazed if I told you who I know for a fact gives contributions, etc.

I never will. I respect people who do it and want to keep it private but I'm telling you for the record every single person here that I've ever talked to privately... they might seem a certain way but they all have great hearts and deep love or admiration or at the very least respect of all for the horses.

***** This is for anyone who doesn't know the story.

Shocking and horrifying but I can't disrespect him and post his name without mentioning it.

If anyone wants to make a small contribution his is a nice name to use.

On Drilling for Oil...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...d-dead-in-peru
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Santa Anita

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...inst-slaughter