Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2006, 08:45 AM
boldruler

Default Barbaro Update from media

http://drf.com/news/article/76109.html

"veterinarians knew bent screws in that area would be fairly likely."

Vet pleased with Barbaro's progress
By GLENYE CAIN

Dr. Dean Richardson, who performed surgery Monday on Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro to replace a pair of bent screws and implant three new ones in the colt's injured right hind leg, said that the new repairs were the result of force and motion in the affected area and do not signal a problem in the healing process.
Barbaro's X-rays continue to show bone healing about six weeks after his breakdown in the Preakness Stakes, a positive sign.

"This is about the time we expect to see good evidence on radiographs of a degree of healing, and the X-rays that were taken yesterday, they look very, very good," Richardson said Tuesday in a phone interview. "As far as the major fracture, basically, it could not look better. He's really progressing well as far as the fracture goes. All in all, it was a reasonably satisfactory day."

PLEASE USE LINK TO READ COMPLETE ARTICLE..

Last edited by Kasept : 07-05-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:47 AM
oracle80

Ruler I don't know a soul alive who doesn't want this horse to be ok. Any good news is always going to be celebrated.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:54 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Ruler I don't know a soul alive who doesn't want this horse to be ok. Any good news is always going to be celebrated.
I just posted that he was doing well the other day and a few people said they doubted that and this was bad news. Nothing could be more untrue. If he didn't throw in his little jab about my "questionable" or whatever word he used connection to the horse, and said his dr. knew more, I would have just said ok. There are Barbaro haters out there. I have heard about some of the sick e-mail they have gotten, but I doubt this guy was one of them. Everyone is very protective of the horse and all their horses. The medium sized operations have to be or the bigger guys will eat them up. It is a super competitive game, but I don't need to tell a guy like you that. His story about the screws was just wrong. Like I said, they thought it was likely they would have to do this all along.

One last time though, "All this surgery was done under fluoroscopic control, using little, small incisions, so it wasn't like you were opening the leg back up or anything," Richardson said. "These were done through one-centimeter incisions, so tiny incisions."

Last edited by boldruler : 07-05-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
I just posted that he was doing well the other day and a few people said they doubted that and this was bad news. Nothing could be more untrue. If he didn't throw in his little jab about my "questionable" or whatever word he used connection to the horse, and said his dr. knew more, I would have just said ok. There are Barbaro haters out there. I have heard about some of the sick e-mail they have gotten, but I doubt this guy was one of them. Everyone is very protective of the horse and all their horses. The medium sized operations have to be or the bigger guys will eat them up. It is a super competitive game, but I don't need to tell a guy like you that. His story about the screws was just wrong. Like I said, they thought it was likely they would have to do this all along.

One last time though, "All this surgery was done under fluoroscopic control, using little, small incisions, so it wasn't like you were opening the leg back up or anything," Richardson said. "These were done through one-centimeter incisions, so tiny incisions."
Ruler I don't know you well even though we have emailed each other but I don't think you are at all a bad guy. The person you are trying to incite is someone I have known a long time and we have never been particularly friendly but you don't have to be a friend of someone to respect them. The guy in question absolutely knows more people in this game than you could imagine. He also has a tremendous knowledge of the game and would not post something like he talked to a surgeon unless he had, hes not that type of person. Lastly, hes about the last guy in the world who would ever send anyone a hate mail over a horse. Hes about the only guy alive I know who I would say has a love of the game as much as i do that I know of. He also doesnt need me to defend him at all. The only reason I say this is that for you to continue to harp on this with him is only going to lead to long threads with unpleasant exchanges between the two of you.
Everyone wants this horse to survive and go to stud. How about letting this one go? We are all on the same side of the coin regarding this topic.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:55 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Ruler I don't know you well even though we have emailed each other but I don't think you are at all a bad guy. The person you are trying to incite is someone I have known a long time and we have never been particularly friendly but you don't have to be a friend of someone to respect them. The guy in question absolutely knows more people in this game than you could imagine. He also has a tremendous knowledge of the game and would not post something like he talked to a surgeon unless he had, hes not that type of person. Lastly, hes about the last guy in the world who would ever send anyone a hate mail over a horse. Hes about the only guy alive I know who I would say has a love of the game as much as i do that I know of. He also doesnt need me to defend him at all. The only reason I say this is that for you to continue to harp on this with him is only going to lead to long threads with unpleasant exchanges between the two of you.
Everyone wants this horse to survive and go to stud. How about letting this one go? We are all on the same side of the coin regarding this topic.
His exact words
"The screws bending is a sign that the graft didn't hold and it is unlikely when they closed him up six weeks ago they expected to put in more screws. Far from impossible but not in the original plan. Like you said, it's a setback, and hopefully he will be fine. But none of this is good news nor was it planned originally. That doesn't, however, mean it's terrible news."

WRONG. Complete fabrication as the drf article said. If this guy is so connected to the sport, which he probably is, it is even worse for him to go making up stories. And I never said it was a setback either, because it wasn't.

I let it go and the funny guys kept going with their comical posts. Remember I just posted something and they started with their "I will trust what a doctor told me over vague supposed connections to the owners and spin." Just to let you know, everything I said was correct, and everything they said was incorrect. Everything. Like I said, if you are connected to the sport, you should know better to make up garbage, especially when you have no clue what is going on.

I guess it is ok for you Oracle, to take on people that are 100% incorrect, but not ok for the rest of us.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:00 AM
oracle80

Quote:
His exact words
"The screws bending is a sign that the graft didn't hold and it is unlikely when they closed him up six weeks ago they expected to put in more screws. Far from impossible but not in the original plan. Like you said, it's a setback, and hopefully he will be fine. But none of this is good news nor was it planned originally. That doesn't, however, mean it's terrible news."

WRONG. Complete fabrication as the drf article said. If this guy is so connected to the sport, which he probably is, it is even worse for him to go making up stories. And I never said it was a setback either, because it wasn't.

I let it go and the funny guys kept going with their comical posts. Remember I just posted something and they started with their "I will trust what a doctor told me over vague supposed connections to the owners and spin." Just to let you know, everything I said was correct, and everything they said was incorrect. Everything. Like I said, if you are connected to the sport, you should know better to make up garbage, especially when you have no clue what is going on.

I guess it is ok for you Oracle, to take on people that are 100% incorrect, but not ok for the rest of us.

I give up, I'm out on this topic. later.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
His exact words

I am going to be nice, just this once with you. I NEVER stated anything as fact, see the word " sign ", and suggesting what I said was a " fabrication " is a misuse of the word and a complete misrepresentation of my post. You were completely out of line with me yesterday when you called me a liar, and you disingenuously apologized, only to start more **** in this thread.

Because you don't like what someone posts does not make it a lie, incorrect, a fabrication, or any number of things. You need to learn how to play well with others.

Think carefully before you respond. Anything that misrepresents the situation again won't be responded to by me.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:15 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I am going to be nice, just this once with you. I NEVER stated anything as fact, see the word " sign ", and suggesting what I said was a " fabrication " is a misuse of the word and a complete misrepresentation of my post. You were completely out of line with me yesterday when you called me a liar, and you disingenuously apologized, only to start more **** in this thread.

Because you don't like what someone posts does not make it a lie, incorrect, a fabrication, or any number of things. You need to learn how to play well with others.

Think carefully before you respond. Anything that misrepresents the situation again won't be responded to by me.

I won't comment on anything. You know you were wrong and the drf article explained everything. Maybe your dr. friend should think twice before commenting on horse injuries he/she knows nothing about. I believe these were your words too "Screws don't get replaced and it feels like there should be a serious concern that the bone grafts didn't take. Probably the biggest concern is that opening him up again brings back the risk of infection so, in that case, he could be sadly bad to where he was weeks ago." One, you had no idea what type of surgery they did, and two, your bone graft comments are 100% inaccurate.

Last edited by boldruler : 07-05-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Jerome Park

You just don't get it.

People can, and do, post suppositions. There is no difference between someone posting what they THINK might be the case with Barbaro and posting who they like in, say, the Dwyer. They are opinions. That is what gets posted in chat rooms much of the time. And, then, hopefully an interesting discussion can ensue among people with differing opinions.

The difference here is that you fly into a rage any time somebody posts something that YOU perceive as negative about Barbaro. You have wrongfully accused me of many things in this discussion and continue to hold on to the very real possibility that my SUPPOSITIONS were inaccurate as some sort of defense for your behavoir. Guess what....you are wrong. I never stated anything I said was a fact. I never claimed to speak to anyone I didn't. I very simply posted an opinion. Somehow that ended up opening up to you the possibility that I sent nasty e-mails to the connections of Barbaro.

Enjoy your stay here....I'm done.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:13 AM
boldruler

Quote:
You just don't get it.

People can, and do, post suppositions. There is no difference between someone posting what they THINK might be the case with Barbaro and posting who they like in, say, the Dwyer. They are opinions. That is what gets posted in chat rooms much of the time. And, then, hopefully an interesting discussion can ensue among people with differing opinions.

The difference here is that you fly into a rage any time somebody posts something that YOU perceive as negative about Barbaro. You have wrongfully accused me of many things in this discussion and continue to hold on to the very real possibility that my SUPPOSITIONS were inaccurate as some sort of defense for your behavoir. Guess what....you are wrong. I never stated anything I said was a fact. I never claimed to speak to anyone I didn't. I very simply posted an opinion. Somehow that ended up opening up to you the possibility that I sent nasty e-mails to the connections of Barbaro.

Enjoy your stay here....I'm done.
I suggest we just agree to disagree. You have your right to your opinion and I believe people should be careful before saying a bone graft isn't taking. Either way, you are correct it is a chat site and you have your right to your opinion. I guess I was just trying to report good news and you wanted to see it another way. You have that right. For the record, I didn't say you sent negative e-mail either. I just said there are people that do it.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Del Mar

The main point was that the orginal post did not go into any detail. The orginal post just said that they changed the cast and he was doing great. The truth of the matter was that "for several days the horse showed a slight elevation in body temperature and was walking differently on both hind limbs." This was what made them suspect there was a problem. They took off the cast and checked it out and discovered that the horse had two broken screws that crossed the pastern bone. While it may not have been totally unexpected, I would still not characterize that as great news. Not only did they have to replace those two screws, they had to add an additional 3 screws "across the pastern joint to try and help stabilize it more." In addition, the horse has a slight infection in his foot on the other leg. So I wouldn't say that it's all good news. But overall, the horse is doing well considering the severity of his injury. As Dr. Richardson said, "Things are progressing well but he's certainly not healed yet and he's not out of the woods."
The horse still has a long way to go but overall it sounds like he is doing reasonably well.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:37 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
The main point was that the orginal post did not go into any detail. The orginal post just said that they changed the cast and he was doing great. The truth of the matter was that "for several days the horse showed a slight elevation in body temperature and was walking differently on both hind limbs." This was what made them suspect there was a problem. They took off the cast and checked it out and discovered that the horse had two broken screws that crossed the pastern bone. While it may not have been totally unexpected, I would still not characterize that as great news. Not only did they have to replace those two screws, they had to add an additional 3 screws "across the pastern joint to try and help stabilize it more." In addition, the horse has a slight infection in his foot on the other leg. So I wouldn't say that it's all good news. But overall, the horse is doing well considering the severity of his injury. As Dr. Richardson said, "Things are progressing well but he's certainly not healed yet and he's not out of the woods."
The horse still has a long way to go but overall it sounds like he is doing reasonably well.
The real issue was that they had reached the 6 week point when there is evidence of healing. They got that evidence. Bad news would have been if it wasn't healing. The screw changes and additions were no big deal. Had the horse not been healing, which was a possibility, than the news would have been bad. Obviously the horse is not in the clear, but the healing process has begun, something that nobody was sure would necessarily take place.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Jerome Park

The REAL real issue is that you think there are two opinions....yours which is right and any opinion that disagrees whatsoever....which is wrong.

This is NOT how it works whether you like it or not.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
boldruler

Quote:
The REAL real issue is that you think there are two opinions....yours which is right and any opinion that disagrees whatsoever....which is wrong.

This is NOT how it works whether you like it or not.
My opinions are usually wrong, but this isn't opinion, this is fact. The horse is healing nicely, and as the Dr. Richardson said, this is not a setback. My original post was simply that he is doing better, which for the first time the radiographs showed healing. A few people then decided it wasn't good news. Sure it might not have been all good news, but the point was he is doing better, which he is. That is a fact.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Jerome Park

It's a fact that the doctor's opinion is that he is doing better.

The point? They're all opinions, some more informed than others, and in all likelihood your " opinion " in this discussion is, in fact, more informed than most of ours. But that doesn't preclude the rest of us from having opinions.

This is a chatroom about horseracing, a business where many supposed facts are disseminated that turn out to be, to be kind, less than true. I am constantly surprised by what people accept as fact only to unsurprisingly find out were not accurate. Is this one of those cases? I don't know, I hope not, and I tend to believe that you are, for the most part, correct. I certainly want to believe you are. But, and I would guess you would really agree with this, skepticism is a positive attribute in horse racing.

I also never believed that Barbaro was suddenly thrown into grave danger....I just think this recent news is not " great " news. But, as Dr. Richardson pointed out in the very beginning, this was going to be a long process.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

For Christ sake...the horse continues along the healing path and there remains reason for hope...that's really the central and only important point! The details are interesting to those of us who love this brave animal but this thread is about semantics...let it go the both of you...it's become boring!!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Dee Tee Stables

black, you would do well to realize that it isn't so much a matter of bold being right or wrong, but of him needing to have the last word...in my OPINION.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:53 PM
boldruler

Quote:
It's a fact that the doctor's opinion is that he is doing better.

The point? They're all opinions, some more informed than others, and in all likelihood your " opinion " in this discussion is, in fact, more informed than most of ours. But that doesn't preclude the rest of us from having opinions.

This is a chatroom about horseracing, a business where many supposed facts are disseminated that turn out to be, to be kind, less than true. I am constantly surprised by what people accept as fact only to unsurprisingly find out were not accurate. Is this one of those cases? I don't know, I hope not, and I tend to believe that you are, for the most part, correct. I certainly want to believe you are. But, and I would guess you would really agree with this, skepticism is a positive attribute in horse racing.

I also never believed that Barbaro was suddenly thrown into grave danger....I just think this recent news is not " great " news. But, as Dr. Richardson pointed out in the very beginning, this was going to be a long process.
Ok. I guess your spin comment bothered me, but you have every right to make your opinions known.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

[quote=boldruler]

I let it go QUOTE]

continuing to post, or starting a new thread, on the subject is NOT letting it go.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Ok. I guess your spin comment bothered me, but you have every right to make your opinions known.
Fair enough. I apologize for the spin comment. It was unnecessary and unfair.