Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default The NBA

The Spurs are an answer for people who say they don't like the style of basketball in NBA (all 1-on-1, flashy, egos, no defense, etc)

They play hard, different guys lead the team in scoring, role players, NCAA-style underdog players (Neal/Green)

However, I don't enjoy watching the Spurs...or college basketball either for that matter.

Basketball is a brutal sport to watch on TV. It's hard to imagine anything possibly being worse to watch. Second rate soap operas maybe?

I don't know what it is ... but watching men play basketball on TV is only preferred if I'm at Guantanamo Bay...and the other option is waterboarding.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Golf is a close second in the brutality department.

And watching it with your father doesn't help.

"This Merion course is the toughest I ever played. I was 16 and playing incredible. I went to Marion for the State Jr Championship and shot an 87! AN 87! And the course wasn't even close to being as tough as they have it for this. The tees weren't back as far. The rough wasn't as bad. I love it. I love watching these guys suffer! If this course was a Speed Figure, it would be a huge slow variant day. This course is set up where the Breeders Cup Sprint would go 1:11 and change."

Even after that brutality, watching this NBA game is not at all enjoyable.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Ellis Park

If you want to get to sleep quick....turn on the golf tourney....
Old 06-17-2013, 11:30 AM
The Curragh

I like watching the golf tourney for all of the "Babbooey" shouts. Otherwise it is miserable TV. The NBA is awful.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Got to admit, this basketball game tonight has been pretty entertaining. At least the second half of it, anyway.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Yeah that was OK. Just the best game of any sport so far in 2013. Only thing even close is that Ravens/Broncos playoff game. I'm not a huge NBA guy but just get all the way TFOH if you can't appreciate what we saw Tuesday night.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

It was right up there with the Louisville VS Baylor epic in the elite 8 of the NCAA womans tourney ... it was Brittany Greiner's final game and the Louisville girls couldn't miss a shot. Baylor made a huge comeback in the final 8 minutes to take the lead, right before blowing it.

I've only watched parts of a few basetball games this year, but I've picked the right ones to suffer through.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Yeah that was OK. Just the best game of any sport so far in 2013. Only thing even close is that Ravens/Broncos playoff game. I'm not a huge NBA guy but just get all the way TFOH if you can't appreciate what we saw Tuesday night.
It sounded like a good game...at least the ending, but have you been watching any of the NHL the last month? Multiple games with just as important implications every week. And I'm not going on a NBA/RHT rant either
Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 AM
The Curragh

That was a great basketball game. The only reason it could be compared to game 1 of the Cup finals is that last night the title was on the line. I hope game 7 is nearly as great though I am dubious.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
It sounded like a good game...at least the ending, but have you been watching any of the NHL the last month? Multiple games with just as important implications every week. And I'm not going on a NBA/RHT rant either
The NHL playoffs have been way better than the NBA playoffs by far, but I think last night was the best of any single game in either playoffs.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Heat vs. Spurs is about as interesting as it gets for the NBA.

Bright lights, big city, tattoos, and superstars vs. bald spots, shades of gray, small city.

Big dunks and big plays vs. execution and bank shots

Max contracts and big endorsements vs. taking less to try to win.

The Spurs have a sustained legacy and are the undisputed best of the West now that the Big 3 in OKC has been broken up. The Heat are the undisputed best of the East.

This game (and the series) has the best player in the NBA, the best PF of all time, maybe the greatest bench player of all time, one of the top-10 shooting guards of all time, 2 of the top 10 best European players to ever play in the NBA.

Even when the games are as good as they ever possibly can get, like last night, you're still watching men play basketball on tv.

It's a terrible betting game as well. Men are flying into each other and so many calls appear close to 50/50 live speed. I'm amazed how teams can win on the road in a sport like that. Especially when a crowd is as hostile as the one in Miami was last night. It's got to get into a ref's head to hear a crowd serenading them with chants of "The Referees Suck!" and they have to make so many calls that look like coinflips to me unless they're shown in slow motion.

How was that not a foul on the final play of the game? I can't think of a more impossible job to have than refereeing a game like last night. If you make a dozen errors/bad calls over the course of the game, you reffed one hell of a game.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Heat vs. Spurs is about as interesting as it gets for the NBA.

Bright lights, big city, tattoos, and superstars vs. bald spots, shades of gray, small city.

Big dunks and big plays vs. execution and bank shots

Max contracts and big endorsements vs. taking less to try to win.

The Spurs have a sustained legacy and are the undisputed best of the West now that the Big 3 in OKC has been broken up. The Heat are the undisputed best of the East.

This game (and the series) has the best player in the NBA, the best PF of all time, maybe the greatest bench player of all time, one of the top-10 shooting guards of all time, 2 of the top 10 best European players to ever play in the NBA.

Even when the games are as good as they ever possibly can get, like last night, you're still watching men play basketball on tv.

It's a terrible betting game as well. Men are flying into each other and so many calls appear close to 50/50 live speed. I'm amazed how teams can win on the road in a sport like that. Especially when a crowd is as hostile as the one in Miami was last night. It's got to get into a ref's head to hear a crowd serenading them with chants of "The Referees Suck!" and they have to make so many calls that look like coinflips to me unless they're shown in slow motion.

How was that not a foul on the final play of the game? I can't think of a more impossible job to have than refereeing a game like last night. If you make a dozen errors/bad calls over the course of the game, you reffed one hell of a game.

Stick to horses. We all know how much you HATED Kobes back.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Uh huh.

Can you please declare the Heat will win Game #7.

Only you, can beat the Heat.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I know Tony Parker is probably one of the two you mean but who is the second guy in your two of the 10 greatest European players?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Manu... the bald spot with the big Roman nose is Italian and he played basketball in Italy with much success.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Thought that's who you meant. I always consider him South American.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Uh huh.

Can you please declare the Heat will win Game #7.

Only you, can beat the Heat.

I declared Miami winning this thing a long time ago in the NBA Playoffs thread. I don't care if they win by 1 or 20, there is no possible way they get beat tonight.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
there is no possible way they get beat tonight.
Now there is.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Dee Tee Stables

call the bookie.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Now there is.
OK Kobe!!!!