Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Suffolk Downs

Default track announcers

I play the Australian races nightly. When 2, 3 horses hit the line together, the announcers just about always calls the correct winner even when I can't tell whether I won or not.

When I listened to Aqueduct today, or Turfway last week, one horse wins by a neck or 1/2 length and all you get is "Too Close to Call!!" -- I'm sitting there thinking, "What race were you watching?"

The Aussie announcers even call the 7th, 8th, ...13th finishers although I don't know how accurate those are because once the first 4 horses are called, then who cares?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Santa Anita

I too play Australian racing and it is amazing how acurate they can be. Most of the time it's alot more horses than we have racing here as well.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by copying
I play the Australian races nightly. When 2, 3 horses hit the line together, the announcers just about always calls the correct winner even when I can't tell whether I won or not.

When I listened to Aqueduct today, or Turfway last week, one horse wins by a neck or 1/2 length and all you get is "Too Close to Call!!" -- I'm sitting there thinking, "What race were you watching?"

The Aussie announcers even call the 7th, 8th, ...13th finishers although I don't know how accurate those are because once the first 4 horses are called, then who cares?
Durkin, especially, is pretty bad at calling close finishes.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Oaklawn

I'm pretty sure most of the announcers in America could handle 20 horse fields... if we had them.

As for photo finishes, my booth is approximately 30 to 40 feet before the actual wire, which puts me at a severe disadvantage to calling photos. Simply put, my angle is awful for splitting hairs on the wire. The same rings true for many other booths out there. I would much rather release a "Photo Finish!" than run some quick geometrical calculations in my mind, taking into consideration the angle of the sun and wind speed, to announce who was first or second. In all seriousness, the location is the major factor.

As for Durkin, calling out Tiznow the winner of the '01 Classic was pretty bold, so he gets a big thumbs-up from this corner.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
I'm pretty sure most of the announcers in America could handle 20 horse fields... if we had them.

As for photo finishes, my booth is approximately 30 to 40 feet before the actual wire, which puts me at a severe disadvantage to calling photos. Simply put, my angle is awful for splitting hairs on the wire. The same rings true for many other booths out there. I would much rather release a "Photo Finish!" than run some quick geometrical calculations in my mind, taking into consideration the angle of the sun and wind speed, to announce who was first or second. In all seriousness, the location is the major factor.

As for Durkin, calling out Tiznow the winner of the '01 Classic was pretty bold, so he gets a big thumbs-up from this corner.

Travis..you guys stick up for each other, which is cool. And I've heard your calls and honestly like them, plus am spoiled have J Dooley here all summer. But if you take off your announcer's hat, you would have to admit that there are several prominent guys out there who can barely call a match race, less a 20 horse field, IMO
Old 04-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlintexas
I too play Australian racing and it is amazing how acurate they can be. Most of the time it's alot more horses than we have racing here as well.
Yes, I play Aussie racing, too - they do a bit more descriptive, editorial comment throughout the races, which I really like.

I agree, they are sharp in photos, and in calling out the correct finish order as 8 hit the line within a couple lengths

Love Aussie racing!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:50 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Grunder
Old 04-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumtaz
Yes, I play Aussie racing, too - they do a bit more descriptive, editorial comment throughout the races, which I really like.

I agree, they are sharp in photos, and in calling out the correct finish order as 8 hit the line within a couple lengths

Love Aussie racing!
go to sleep
Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Grunder
Thunder Grunder
Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Suffolk Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone

I assumed all the announcers booths would be right at the finish line -- if not, then that would explain a lot. I notice Ed Burgart at Los Al calls them to the whisker but I just assumed that was the nature of QH race-calling.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Thunder Grunder

I dont know about announcing...but I haven't missed a photo since Dutch was in office.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
go to sleep
I am NOT on "racetrack time"
Old 04-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
The Aussie announcers are much, much better than the announcers here. Everything is really smooth, and they don't "Hollywood it up" on the big races, either. They leave the hysterics behind, too. No "COWABUNGA DUDE!!!" crap, to boot.
I can't even imagine how, "COWABUNGA, DUDE!" would sound with an Oz accent ....

Hugh Jackman. Another reason to love Australia!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:28 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I cannot challenge your words on photo finishes, but my assertion goes far beyond that, though I probably didn't convey it in my prior post.

The Aussie announcers are much, much better than the announcers here. Everything is really smooth, and they don't "Hollywood it up" on the big races, either. They leave the hysterics behind, too. No "COWABUNGA DUDE!!!" crap, to boot.
I don't see why not! If I correctly remember Bruce Brown's The Endless Summer they found "Tasty waves and a cool buzz" in Australia.

Surf Cat is way too cool for just any call.

Try and loosen up a bit Johnny! Live a little.

Throw around a little crap. It's fun.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:36 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
It's funny you mention the Aussie announcers. Upon seeing the thread title, I was ready to chime in to praise the Aussies that we hear as better than our announcers.

They deftly handle large fields, and are much better at calling close finishes.
I could list 20 North American announcers that could kick the crap out of any 20 horse field and nail every finish if in the right booth.

With respect to Trevor, Michael, Peter and Robert. All very talented callers. Why are American racing fans intoxicated with accents? Why are callers from other places better just because they do something we could also do well if giving the opportunity?

Kurt Becker could call a 50 horse field and never miss one.

Where's the love for the yanks?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 AM
Randwyck

I must admitt when i first started following american racing on utube ,I almost bust a gut on the racing commentary & had to show everyone .
No disrespect intended. it was not the the way the race finished it was the slow drawl.
Over here because we talk so fast our race callers talk fast where it seems the relaxed way of american callers by the time they finish saying the name of one horse the race is usually 400 mtrs in.
Kenny callender was one of our great callers he put out a book which was fantastic he used to say about the worry of getting the call wrong on the line because of all the punters listening on the outcome.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:39 AM
Goodwood

my dream would be to hear a southern belle type call races.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Ellis Park

Agree with my man Vox, location location location. at River i am right on the wire, so if i cop out and call photo there, its either really close or i'm a chicken. but at PM, i'm atleast 40 yards down from the wire, thus its a lot more difficult.

as far as the big fields, bring em on, the more the merrier.

On twitter @BeemieAwards
Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
I could list 20 North American announcers that could kick the crap out of any 20 horse field and nail every finish if in the right booth.

With respect to Trevor, Michael, Peter and Robert. All very talented callers. Why are American racing fans intoxicated with accents? Why are callers from other places better just because they do something we could also do well if giving the opportunity?

Kurt Becker could call a 50 horse field and never miss one.

Where's the love for the yanks?
I like American callers better, Vic.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
Agree with my man Vox, location location location. at River i am right on the wire, so if i cop out and call photo there, its either really close or i'm a chicken. but at PM, i'm atleast 40 yards down from the wire, thus its a lot more difficult.

as far as the big fields, bring em on, the more the merrier.
j, are in town (cincy) now? i'm on vacay next week (sorry, no photos), and plan on meandering down to the River.

He's a hack and you guys sold your soul for him. Congrats." coach pants