Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2015, 01:10 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire View Post
Way to early to comment on success at stud -Esky and Blame are likely to have runners develop at 3
I don't think it's too early to tell. It's obviously too early to tell with 100% certainty. In this business, it's not too often that I would claim anything with 100% certainty. So I admit that there is still a small chance that Eskendereya and/or Blame could still turn out to be good sires. It is possible but very unlikely.

A I said before, the vast majority of their offspring are just not good movers. That's not going to change significantly as they get older. If you have a 2 year old who is a really ugly mover, he's not going to become a pretty mover as a 3 year old.

I can't think of a single sire over the years that had 2 year olds that practically all looked like crap and then went on to become a successful sire. It just doesn't happen. There are good sires that don't do great with 2 year olds. But there is a big difference between a route sire who has good looking two year olds, that are pretty movers, that look like they want to run long, as compared to a route sire whose 2 year olds simply look like crap. For example, Bernardini is a route sire who has good looking 2 year olds that are very pretty movers who look like they want to run long. Whereas the vast majority of Eskendereya and Blame's offspring look like they can't run period. They don't look like they will improve with distance or age.