Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Suffolk Downs

Default barbaro recovery

let me just start off by saying, i hope this doesn't happen at all, but say he keeps having complications, how long will the vets/owners let him suffer?
i know that he is a very special horse and many want him to make it, but what if things start going wrong. i really hope he makes it, but i would hate for him to go through suffering just to keep him alive.

i am not trying to be negative, so please don't think i want him to die.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogirl10
let me just start off by saying, i hope this doesn't happen at all, but say he keeps having complications, how long will the vets/owners let him suffer?
i know that he is a very special horse and many want him to make it, but what if things start going wrong. i really hope he makes it, but i would hate for him to go through suffering just to keep him alive.

i am not trying to be negative, so please don't think i want him to die.
That depends on what you consider "suffering."
Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 AM
boldruler

You will hear some news today. That is all I can say.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Suffolk Downs

i am just asking, how far are they willing to go to make sure he lives...i know they are trying their hardest to save him, but where do you draw the line.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
You will hear some news today. That is all I can say.

I just hope they do what is right for the horse.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Jerome Park

In keeping with previous helpful comments in this thread....

The sun will set sometime this evening. That's all I can say. ( I'm an insider....don't ya know ).
Old 07-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by videogirl10
i am just asking, how far are they willing to go to make sure he lives...i know they are trying their hardest to save him, but where do you draw the line.
MANY would have drawn the line the day of the accident.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:06 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind

The sun will set sometime this evening. That's all I can say. ( I'm an insider....don't ya know ).
Obviously you aren't, because you wouldn't even be joking about it.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Jerome Park

Just waiting for your defense of your hit and run the other day.

Your credibility is ZERO.
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
Obviously you aren't, because you wouldn't even be joking about it.
Then why not say what you want to say, bold? Are they going to put him down or has it already been done?
Turf Paradise

Here's the latest from the UPenn website:

Barbaro’s condition guarded

July 12, 2006

KENNETT SQUARE, PA —* Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro is continuing to rest comfortably today according to Dr. Dean Richardson, Chief of Surgery. “As we said yesterday, Barbaro’s condition is potentially serious, and we are aggressively seeking all treatment options,” he said. “Today we will focus on further diagnostics and keeping our patient comfortable.” Barbaro is being treated for fractures received at the Preakness on May 20 as well as discomfort in his left hind foot.

“He’s facing tough odds and his condition is guarded,” said Dr. Richardson. “Our entire staff is determined to do all they can for this magnificent horse.” All decisions are being made in constant consultation with the owners, who continue to be only interested in his comfort.

Barbaro remains in the Intensive Care Unit of the George D. Widener Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania’s New Bolton Center.

Watch for a media advisory for a press conference later this week. For more information on Barbaro, please see www.vet.upenn.edu.

----------------------------------------------------

I don't want to irritate anyone, but this sounds troubling. Whatever happens, you have to admire the medical team. From all that's been said and done, they've been truly outstanding.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Keeneland

Well, here's a positive article:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/horse...pt-barb12.html
Old 07-12-2006, 10:38 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Then why not say what you want to say, bold? Are they going to put him down or has it already been done?
God no. Sorry if it came across that way. I believe the owners were going to say something today, maybe because they are leaving for Africa. I think your concern is the concern of many in that they just don't want the horse to suffer. He is definitely not suffering. He is actually doing quite well, so well that the Jacksons still might be leaving for their trip to Africa.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:50 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Cajungator, I think that info was earlier than the UPenn release, which I, too, found troubling.

Quote:

The first time I read that, I thought blacktw was alluding to very bad news this evening. (As in, 'the sun will set on Barbaro'). But I don't think that's what he meant at all. He was just using "the sun will set" as an example of something totally obvious.

I'm pointing this out because I might not be the only one who read it wrong, and the last thing we need is a misunderstanding on such a sensitive topic.

--Dunbar
Old 07-12-2006, 10:54 AM
boldruler

Quote:

If you were literally talking about the sun, I apologize for being a little rude. I thought you were using your term "the sun will set sometime this evening" in another way.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Jerome Park

I'm laughing now.

I'm not smart enough to even realize what I said could be taken the wrong way....as it easily could have been.

Yes...I was making the second " Captain Obvious " reference on the board today. I see mine went over similarly.

Sorry.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:00 AM
top predator.

Quote:
I'm laughing now.

I'm not smart enough to even realize what I said could be taken the wrong way....as it easily could have been.

Yes...I was making the second " Captain Obvious " reference on the board today. I see mine went over similarly.

Sorry.
I also took it as a joke, and nearly replied asking if you had inside info on whether the moon would rise...glad now that I didn't
Old 07-12-2006, 11:03 AM
boldruler

Quote:
I'm laughing now.

Sorry.
No big deal.

Remind me of my hit and run though. I have a job so sometimes my run is related to my need to work.

Great, you think I have ZERO credibility. Why would I care what you think?

Sounds like you are just bitter a college kid mades some picks the other day that made you look stupid. That Hennig horse Endless Virtue win made you look like a complete novice. Right after the late double the earlier day made you look stupid.

He sure did make you look like an idiot on that thread. Not once, but twice. My favorite line of yours was

“Not bothered at all....just trying to help any of the misguided who may unwittingly be suckered into betting that horrendous Hennig favorite tomorrow. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do, at least, my part to give an official warning against poor risk-reward horses.”

http://derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674
Old 07-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Jerome Park

OK, let me refresh your memory, as you actually did exactly what you wrongfully accused me of doing. You made the following post....

" The shady mobsters in NYRA will pay off the right people. They shouldn't get it and some should be in jail, but it is NY where the word legal means nothing. "

You were asked to tell us who these " shady mobsters " were, and what they had done to make them such, and then tell us who should be in jail and why.

You conveniently forgot your horrendous behavoir towards me when I, correctly as it turned out, gave honest and sound opinions last week. You accused me of everything under the sun, incorrectly on all counts, and then make irresponsible posts like that one. Apparently you feel you do not have to play by the rules yolu have deemed appropriate for others.

Funny, you don't seem to miss anything around here, but you never responded to either my post, or Kasept's, in that thread.

I will deal with your other foolishness later. Save to say, keep betting horses like the Hennig maiden the other day and you will continue to be a loser at the track.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:21 AM
boldruler

Quote:
OK, let me refresh your memory, as you actually did exactly what you wrongfully accused me of doing. You made the following post....

" The shady mobsters in NYRA will pay off the right people. They shouldn't get it and some should be in jail, but it is NY where the word legal means nothing. "

You were asked to tell us who these " shady mobsters " were, and what they had done to make them such, and then tell us who should be in jail and why.

You conveniently forgot your horrendous behavoir towards me when I, correctly as it turned out, gave honest and sound opinions last week. You accused me of everything under the sun, incorrectly on all counts, and then make irresponsible posts like that one. Apparently you feel you do not have to play by the rules yolu have deemed appropriate for others.

Funny, you don't seem to miss anything around here, but you never responded to either my post, or Kasept's, in that thread.

I will deal with your other foolishness later. Save to say, keep betting horses like the Hennig maiden the other day and you will continue to be a loser at the track.
Please post the thread to refresh my memory. I actually don't bet that often but am up about $6000 on the year, none of which I won by making picks. I am a terrible handicapper but smart enough to listen to people that know things.

As for the NY Mobsters, here you go. Disgusting. You know the guys that are going to get it, well here is my favorite thing

"Tim Toohey recently was convicted of willfully filing a false statement on a federal tax return and was sentenced to both probation and incarceration, but the jail time is being contested. Criminality could be cause for refusal of racing and lottery licenses by state authorities."

Crooks and more crooks in NY. Nothing but shady criminals running things. I know I read the NYRA corruption report that was posted here by someone too. Very corrupt.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...date=7/12/2006

Last edited by boldruler : 07-12-2006 at 11:30 AM.