Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Del Mar

Default The Dodgers/Red Sox Trade

Nothing is done yet but it looks like Gonzalez, Crawford, beckett, punto for a bag of beans and some low ceiling prospects.

if it goes down, think about what a huge move this is for both sides. Boston gets rid of some serious salary for a non contending team while LA gets a real first basemen they can stick in the middle of the order. It also probably gives Beckett a ltitle bit of a reprieve.

That is a lot of salary to be taking on for essentially one guy. Not to say that Crawford can't contribute down the road and that beckett might not help in the pennant race but really this move is all about gonzalez...if it goes down.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Havre de Grace

Default oh please let it go through

getting rid of the cancer always helps. now if we can dump Lester and his buddy Pedroia, we can get back to winning.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I get Beckett and Crawford, but Gonzalez? By all accounts, he's been a consummate pro, not to mention actually worth his contract.

How all of these guys made it through waivers to be claimed by the Dodgers, a team with serious ownership issues until the last few months, is beyond me.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
I get Beckett and Crawford, but Gonzalez? By all accounts, he's been a consummate pro, not to mention actually worth his contract.

How all of these guys made it through waivers to be claimed by the Dodgers, a team with serious ownership issues until the last few months, is beyond me.
Who else would claim Beckett? He has been awful this year and has 2 more years at 16 million per. I dont know if Crawford had to go through waivers because he is on DL but you'd have to have hot your head to claim him especially considering he just had TJ surgery and will be out for probably 1/2 the season next year and is owed over $100 million. Crawford is a legs guy and those guys dont age well. Gonzalez has not exactly been lighting it up in Boston though to be fair they were playing him in RF alot earlier in the season. While his numbers are good they arent $21 million a year good($120 million left) and being that the Dodgers were willing to take on those other two pretty toxic contracts this was probably an easy call for Boston.

The implication that this is a bad deal for Boston is crazy. This is an unbelievably good deal for them. Cant believe that LA had to give up 2 good prospects for them. Webster is a really good prospect. Dont know where anyone got the idea that he isnt. De la Rosa is coming off of TJ surgery but he is a still a 3 star guy. The others are potentially marginal ML guys. Boston isnt going anywhere this year and this trade frees up an enormous financial obligation that they surely will be investing somewhere else. I get that LA needed a 1b because Loney pretty much sucks and maybe they can squeeze something out of Beckett (Dodgers stad is a pitchers park) but cant believe they took Crawford. But they are seemingly all in this year which i suppose is what fans want.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
now if we can dump Lester and his buddy Pedroia
that isnt gonna happen
Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Del Mar

When I said "low ceiling prospects" the players hadnt been named yet and the word was at the time that they weren't giving up any top prospects. That being said, I don't know anything about the prospects they gave up.

I agree with you on this being a no brainer for the red sox. To me, getting a good prospect out of the deal is gravy. Finding a team that would take that Crawford contract as well as the Beckett contract is ridiculously good fortune for a team that is going young.

good for LA for seizing the moment and going for it now. Gutsy move.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
that isnt gonna happen

it's a nice thought though....Lester is a miserable one way hump, Pedroia hits the ball pretty well for a bald man, but would be a great villain to hate, the little puke that he is. he'd look good in pinstripes
Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
it's a nice thought though....Lester is a miserable one way hump, Pedroia hits the ball pretty well for a bald man, but would be a great villain to hate, the little puke that he is. he'd look good in pinstripes
Lester is a very good young left handed pitcher having a rare off year. He is also signed to a favorable contract. If they wanted to trade him every team in the league would be interested.

Pedroia went to a miserable university but other than that is one of the 2 or 3 best 2nd basemen in baseball and is signed to a very favorable contract. If they wanted to trade him almost every team in baseball would be interested.

And easy on the bald guys...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Lester is a very good young left handed pitcher having a rare off year. He is also signed to a favorable contract. If they wanted to trade him every team in the league would be interested.

Pedroia went to a miserable university but other than that is one of the 2 or 3 best 2nd basemen in baseball and is signed to a very favorable contract. If they wanted to trade him almost every team in baseball would be interested.

And easy on the bald guys...
Lester is a solid number 2 or 3 pitcher and yes he could pitch on any rotation in the league. The thing is, they made plans for him as a number 1 guy and he simply hasnt been to this point.