Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Fairgrounds

Default Serpa handed 30-day riding ban

Angel Serpa, the leading apprentice jockey at Aqueduct this winter, was slapped with a 30-day suspension by track stewards for "gross careless riding" in Saturday's third race.

Through Sunday, Serpa was tied with Anna Napravnik for fourth leading rider at Aqueduct, with 36 winners from 215 mounts. Serpa's horses have earned $1,040,861 in purse earnings. Serpa has his apprentice status into July.

http://drf.com/news/article/111619.html
Old 03-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Oaklawn

That was very dangerous riding. I have been a fan of Saerpa's this winter. He has been a pretty solid bug, but I agree with Contessa he could have killed a man and a horse with that move. I am not one to go crazy over a little race riding but that was a pretty blatant move and showed disregard for the horse or rider inside.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Oaklawn

Espinoza should have handed him an ass whippin' to go with his suspension for that one...
Old 03-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Is this a JOKE? Of all the times a jock has been squeezed on the rail going into the turn and the stewards have done nothing, not to mention all those blatant cases of herding by Castellano (and others), also ignored by the stewards, the NYRA stewards now feel the need to make an example of this kid?

This is typical ****** behavior: NO CONSISTENCY.

Last edited by the_fat_man : 03-22-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
Is this a JOKE? Of all the times a jock has been squeezed on the rail going into the turn and the stewards have done nothing, not to mention all those blatant cases of herding by Castellano (and others), also ignored by the stewards, the NYRA stewards now feel the need to make an example of this kid?

The kid almost killed Espinoza just to win a 10k claiming race. I think 30 days is too lenient.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man

well let's see what the stewards do going forward when other riders do something close to what serpa did , let's see if these nyra stewards can get consistent

on a side not he should get more thirty days , he should get a minimum of 90 days
Old 03-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Hollywood Park

I hope the young man learns from this . I agree with the stewards decision and I note that Serpa is not appealing .
Old 03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Keeneland

Holy ..... Talk about lucky one is still alive, both man and horse. That was nasty.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts