Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Keeneland

Default Occupy Wall Street

LOL - this guy owns the Faux News producer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yrT-...ature=youtu.be
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 10-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Belmont Park

That was pretty funny
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Coach Pants

It has gone global.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Hialeah Park

Hey it's Andy Bellefleur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQPngo2L_d8
Old 10-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Keeneland

Good article by Ezra Klein:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...7jKL_blog.html
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 10-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2 View Post
I so want him and Terry to have their own sitcom. The Bellefleurs.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
That was pretty funny
I like the Union soldier cap.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Keeneland

Hey, on Kos yesterday it says Jesse LaGreca is going to be on Christiane Amanpour, was interviewed by Al Jazeera, etc. Good for him!

This is one of the best explainations of what "Occupy Wall Street" is all about, that I've seen so far:

See that crash? We all went down. But we, the taxpayers, bailed out those banks so they would survive. They did, and with record profits and bonuses. Meanwhile, we taxpayers are not only still paying off their bailout funds we gave them, we're still down in that valley.

http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/20...hose-side-am-i

Good column by Kevin Drum, with reference to a good Paul Krugman column
here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/op...s.html?_r=1&hp
Quote:
There’s something happening here. What it is ain’t exactly clear, but we may, at long last, be seeing the rise of a popular movement that, unlike the Tea Party, is angry at the right people.

... snip ...

What can we say about the protests? First things first: The protesters’ indictment of Wall Street as a destructive force, economically and politically, is completely right.

... snip ...

A weary cynicism, a belief that justice will never get served, has taken over much of our political debate — and, yes, I myself have sometimes succumbed. In the process, it has been easy to forget just how outrageous the story of our economic woes really is. So, in case you’ve forgotten, it was a play in three acts.

In the first act, bankers took advantage of deregulation to run wild (and pay themselves princely sums), inflating huge bubbles through reckless lending. In the second act, the bubbles burst — but bankers were bailed out by taxpayers, with remarkably few strings attached, even as ordinary workers continued to suffer the consequences of the bankers’ sins. And, in the third act, bankers showed their gratitude by turning on the people who had saved them, throwing their support — and the wealth they still possessed thanks to the bailouts — behind politicians who promised to keep their taxes low and dismantle the mild regulations erected in the aftermath of the crisis.

... snip, continued ...
And the bold is what Occupy Wall Street is all about. The public has had it. Are they anti-wealth? No. Anti-corporation? No. Anti-capitalism? No. Anti-greed? Yes. Anti-unfairness? Yes. Anti-ruination of the American Dream supposition that you can work hard and prosper? Yes. Real wages have remained stagnant for decades, for that bottom 99%, as the wealthy got wealthier.

Are there a bunch of half-anarchists and "hippies" in there? Sure, there are. But they are not the majority of the OWS crowd.

And Occupy Wall Street isn't going away, even though New York is about to try and come down hard and end it there. It will probably control the 2012 election. Hopefully.

And if you want a completely excellent, simply detailed (with pictures) explaination of current wealth and economic inequalities in the United States, here it is:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/1...=sidebyuserrec

Last edited by Riot : 10-08-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Santa Anita

I hope the next movement is

Occupy Shower, or

Occupy Barber's Chair

instead of

Occupying Space, which is what they would normally be doing.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydb View Post
I hope the next movement is

Occupy Shower, or

Occupy Barber's Chair

instead of

Occupying Space, which is what they would normally be doing.
Wow Joey, you would have fit right in to Nixon's "silent majority", some folks cling to the concept that one can discredit those who have different views of the world merely by mocking them. I don't know whether this movement will grow into something that will change anything but if not this one, the next or the one after that...one thing for sure, a storm is coming!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost View Post
Wow Joey, you would have fit right in to Nixon's "silent majority", some folks cling to the concept that one can discredit those who have different views of the world merely by mocking them. I don't know whether this movement will grow into something that will change anything but if not this one, the next or the one after that...one thing for sure, a storm is coming!
There's a silent majority now too. They are forced into silence by the monolithic politically correct media. But they are still the majority and will prove it in 2012.

As to mocking them, I guess I am a little bit - but mostly because they are so consistent with this whole thing. Do they thing bad hygiene helps their cause? I mean, why make it difficult to get past your appearance and hear your message? Isn't that counter-productive?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Coach Pants

Hopefully that silent majority will be culled and a new republic formed that doesn't focus on inane sh.it like physical appearance.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydb View Post
There's a silent majority now too. They are forced into silence by the monolithic politically correct media. But they are still the majority and will prove it in 2012.

As to mocking them, I guess I am a little bit - but mostly because they are so consistent with this whole thing. Do they thing bad hygiene helps their cause? I mean, why make it difficult to get past your appearance and hear your message? Isn't that counter-productive?
Well, if you are a Christian then you believe Jesus was the son of God, he had, by all depictions, long hair and most likely a straggly appearance. A person's worth shouldn't be measured by his/her appearance, this is a fight women have been fighting forever and is the basis for so much hate...racism, fear of folks from other climates and cultures etc.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Sha Tin

I have a hard time understand how being anti-greed or anti-unfairness is going to get anything done? Why not protest anti-disease? See how that does.

Of course all the attention is going to these fairly pointless protests but the fact that what happens in Greece soon will have a far greater effect on most Americans than a bunch of people being anti-everything. As soon as it gets cold the protesters for the most part will disappear, the profiteers like fat Micheal Moore will fly back to Beverly Hills and the politicians will go right back to slapping banks on the wrist (ridiclous credit card rules which have already turned against consumers) while at the same time slipping cash into their pockets (bailouts to protect those injured in the upcoming Eurozone meltdown.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I have a hard time understand how being anti-greed or anti-unfairness is going to get anything done? Why not protest anti-disease? See how that does.

Of course all the attention is going to these fairly pointless protests but the fact that what happens in Greece soon will have a far greater effect on most Americans than a bunch of people being anti-everything. As soon as it gets cold the protesters for the most part will disappear, the profiteers like fat Micheal Moore will fly back to Beverly Hills and the politicians will go right back to slapping banks on the wrist (ridiclous credit card rules which have already turned against consumers) while at the same time slipping cash into their pockets (bailouts to protect those injured in the upcoming Eurozone meltdown.
They're not protesting "greed" so much as they are protesting a system they see as rigged against the middle class.

Michael Moore lives in Michigan.

I agree with you about the state of economic affairs in Europe.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

happens here every day.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Coach Pants

The mainstream media's propaganda campaign on #occupywallstreet is obviously working.

"Derp dey don't know what dere protestin. Stupid hippies derp de dur."
Old 10-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Well, if you are a Christian then you believe Jesus was the son of God, he had, by all depictions, long hair and most likely a straggly appearance. A person's worth shouldn't be measured by his/her appearance, this is a fight women have been fighting forever and is the basis for so much hate...racism, fear of folks from other climates and cultures etc.
I saw the best bumper sticker today on a truck at the Tractor Supply here in Red State:

"Dang right I'm a Christian. And I'm a Democrat"

I remember back in the 1960's, kids telling their parents that they should be allowed to have hair over their collar, because, you know, Jesus had long hair

Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
The mainstream media's propaganda campaign on #occupywallstreet is obviously working.

"Derp dey don't know what dere protestin. Stupid hippies derp de dur."
The mainstream media has been co-opted by the internet. Check this awesome video out:

Why #occupywallstreet? 4 reasons from DC Douglas (the former Geico voiceman)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK1MO...layer_embedded
Old 10-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
They're not protesting "greed" so much as they are protesting a system they see as rigged against the middle class.

Michael Moore lives in Michigan.

I agree with you about the state of economic affairs in Europe.
The main thing coming out of this is that the middle class is pissed off and government and Wallstreet types are on notice. We have the ability to assemble in large numbers and if you keep this **** up maybe the next time we won't be so peaceful. That is the message I am getting.

Damar Hamlin