Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Jerome Park

Default Frustration?

So the Derby is over, and the best horse won, and the second best horse suffered a terrible tragedy. The winner is a very nice horse that has accomplished a great deal in a very short period of time while overcoming physical issues. He's also trained by someone who is understandably a lightning rod for attention....both positive and negative. He is also owned by a group in a similar boat. While I have certainly never been a great fan of some of what Dutrow has been involved with, I do think it's important to note that Big Brown ran a tremendous race in his debut, and he was not trained by Mr. Dutrow at that time. He is quite simply a very talented animal and dramatically superior to those that lined up against him Saturday. Many of us bet against him Saturday, myself included, knowing full well he was very possibly superior to his rivals, but we also felt given the post and his lack of experience, his undoing was more than possible. We were wrong.....he won with alarming ease. Personally, I always find a certain satisfaction in any race won by the best horse, and never moreso than in the Kentucky Derby.

But, people are angry. Trust me, I'm an angry guy, I understand. We're upset about what happened to Eight Belles and we're upset that this unfortunate incident is now being used by ignorant zealots with an agenda against this game that we love. And, even though we know they are wrong about most of what they speak, we sadly know there is at least a hint of truth in some of what they say ( truth, in all likelihood, that they don't even understand ). We're also frustrated that nobody in power in the industry has come out rationally, or almost nobody, to attempt to quell the hysteria by those outside the industry. I, too, am frustrated by this, but I also believe we should let them burn themselves out in a few days, and know that the game will go on regardless of their opportunistic ramblings. Just as I believe that a TC winner cannot " save racing ", I also believe that a tragedy in the TC series can't destroy it.

We're also frustrated that this Derby weekend was marred by infighting within the industry that dramatically affected the disemination of the Churchill Downs signal for betting purposes. We can't understand why the industry seems to continue to act in a way that is contrary to our interests, that is the racing fans who support the game, and even though many of us do understand and sympathize with the parties involved, it's hard not to be frustrated that all too often we seem to be the ones left out in the cold. It's easy to ask why can't the industry that we financially support, ever seem to listen to us. Even if we know that in some ways that's a massive oversimplification it's not unfair for us to be at least frustrated by the end result.

But I'm not frustrated. I'm happy that Belmont is open, and there's still eleven weeks left at that beautiful racetrack, and then there's six weeks at glorious Saratoga, followed by seven more at Belmont in the Fall. I'm happy that there's a great chance that in less than five weeks there will be a huge crowd at Belmont hoping for a TC and for a few weeks in NY people will actually care about horse racing. I'm happy that I'll be frustrated on a daily basis betting on the game I love. I'm happy that horse racing exists to give me something to bitch about. I'm happy that there will be many Pick-6s coming up for me to take tough beats betting. I'm happy that my life isn't as boring as those that haven't figured out how great this game is on a daily basis.