Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Blatantly biased? You bet.

I know there's another thread but I thought his admission that he was literally cheering for her was a little much.

"In only two races in my history have I been blatantly biased," Denman said Tuesday from his farm in Minnesota. "[ Bill] Shoemaker's last ride, in that race I said, 'Come on Shoe,' because I wanted him to win so bad, he ran fourth but at the eighth pole he could have won it and, literally, I said, 'Come on Shoe,' and then Saturday. I wanted so badly for Zenyatta to win.

"You have to have sagacity and say, 'This occasion is different and I have to be different.' I have to admit, I almost said, 'Come on,' right before Blame and Zenyatta hit the wire. I think you can hear exasperation in my voice, at the end. I was deflated when I said, 'Blame has won it.' "

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,4695748.story
Old 11-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Well, that's OK, because I am blatantly biased too--I think Trevor sucks donkey balls.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Yeah, that call was pretty awful. Denman should be embarassed, sagacity and all.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
sagacity and all.
Sagacity would have probably won the BC Turf if he was around this year.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
I know there's another thread but I thought his admission that he was literally cheering for her was a little much.

"In only two races in my history have I been blatantly biased," Denman said Tuesday from his farm in Minnesota. "[ Bill] Shoemaker's last ride, in that race I said, 'Come on Shoe,' because I wanted him to win so bad, he ran fourth but at the eighth pole he could have won it and, literally, I said, 'Come on Shoe,' and then Saturday. I wanted so badly for Zenyatta to win.

"You have to have sagacity and say, 'This occasion is different and I have to be different.' I have to admit, I almost said, 'Come on,' right before Blame and Zenyatta hit the wire. I think you can hear exasperation in my voice, at the end. I was deflated when I said, 'Blame has won it.' "

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,4695748.story
The Michael Kay of calling races with Vic close behind....How bout do your job.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
The Michael Kay of calling races with Vic close behind....How bout do your job.
Funny you say that. Had I called the race I was preparing to say........"Zenny wins. Thaaaaaa Zenny's win. How bout GET A JOB?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Funny you say that. Had I called the race I was preparing to say........"Zenny wins. Thaaaaaa Zenny's win. How bout GET A JOB?
Excellent comeback.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Arlington Park

Announcers are all biased, you could hear Durkin's voice rise in excitement when Birdstone ran by Smarty Jones in the Belmont.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Hmmm...was that because it was exciting or what? You don't think Durkin would have wanted to call a frigging TC? Really?

What is it around here recently?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Seriously? Durkin was rooting for Birdstone? F'ing retarded. Only race I have ever been to where 120k people could clearly hear the racecall for the last 100 yards of the race. It was that quiet.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Havre de Grace

That's hilarious. Durkin actually walked out and put a piece of tape at the 31 length margin on the rail. That's how confident he was in Smarty Jones but he was cheering for Birdstone.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by tector View Post
Hmmm...was that because it was exciting or what? You don't think Durkin would have wanted to call a frigging TC? Really?

What is it around here recently?
Read it again with sarcasm.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Randwyck

Race callers have favorites. Was there ever a more emotional call than Durkin's in the 2009 Woodward. Thought the man was going to have a freakin' heart attack - as well as a lot of racing fans. I couldn't hear normally for about a week after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysO_Fhc8Fpw

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 11-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Don't be ambiguous--no one is ever going to give the likes of you the benefit of the doubt. That's your legacy.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Don't be ambiguous--no one is ever going to give the likes of you the benefit of the doubt. That's your legacy.
To whom were you referring? Me?

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 11-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
Are you calling me ambiguous?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
OK...no, it wasn't you.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Are you calling me ambiguous?
I wasn't calling you anything. I was just asking a question.

Just forget it. I shall drag my knuckles back to my cave.

Off to find my cave.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he was referring to my post, because he wasn't clever enough to understand it was meant to be read with sarcasm, even with the usage of Anyone that knows anything about horseracing that watched that race would have known Durkin's voice sounded noticably dissapointed when Birdstone ran by Smarty Jones, and I do think this ties in with the theme of this thread. Obcourse Denman was rooting for Zenyatta, just as Durkin probably wanted to call a triple crown winner.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Randwyck

Sarcastic responses are sometimes prize winning veiled here at DT that it's extra hard to figure out when posts aren't quoted.

Still searching for cave.