Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Steve Byk

Default Cup handicapping appreciation thread..

Brad Free

The 3-year-old SMILING TIGER defeated older Grade 1 sprinters twice this year on synthetic surfaces in California, and reports from Kentucky are that he has trained super over the dirt surface at Churchill Downs. The most recent win by Smiling Tiger was flattered when the horse he crushed, Cost of Freedom, returned to down statebred foes. BIG DRAMA, a top New York sprinter in the summer, is fresh and working well for his first in two months. HAMAZING DESTINY is the crazy knockout. Though unplaced in all four of his graded stakes starts, he occasionally earns big numbers and could hit the board at a price. California shipper SUPREME SUMMIT, made eligible to this for a $100,000 fee, will roll late.

1 Big Drama 12.40 7.00 5.00
4 Hamazing Destiny 19.80 12.20
5 Smiling Tiger 5.00
9 Supreme Summit

$2 Exacta (1-4) Paid $254.80
$2 Trifecta (1-4-5) Paid $2,396.60
$1 Superfecta (1-4-5-9) Paid $13,939.00
Old 11-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Jerome Park

Goooooodness!!! I wish I had seen that

I hope he cleaned up!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

thats a nice job.. congrats ..
Old 11-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Idlewild Airport

The question is, did he play the super?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Del Mar

Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
BC Turf

Euro’s have the advantage here, Workforce, Behkabad and Debussy will be all the rage. All are possible but not liking their probable prices. A very interesting horse is Dangerous Midge, trainer Meehan has reportedly taken his time with him this year, form from his last is very cleverly disguised setting him up for a big race. I wouldn’t be surprised if he runs very well Saturday, best thing about it is no one’s talking about him. 10-1 and beyond is probable. I will back him with some confidence.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Churchill Downs

I covered the first 3 which was a decent trifecta, but my decision not to push the all button on the super makes me sick. I think I only left 2 or 3 off the bottom of the ticket, and Supreme Summit was one of them.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
Quote:
Euro Pick
Midday prefers a bit of give in the ground and it doesn’t look like she is going to get it today, at 6/5 she offers very little value. Plenty of legitimate chances in this race, Red Desire, Harmonious to name a few, respect both but I will go to France, the French have produced excellent females the past few years and, Plumania fits the bill in here, she should like the faster ground and will be forwardly placed, and one must always respect a Andre Fabre trained horse. Can see her going off from anywhere from 7-1 upwards to 10-1 today, which is excellent value, she is my best bet on today’s card. Back Plumania big at a price.
Don't forget this brilliant opinion.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
I covered the first 3 which was a decent trifecta, but my decision not to push the all button on the super makes me sick. I think I only left 2 or 3 off the bottom of the ticket, and Supreme Summit was one of them.
TG,

Nice job... Nothing wrong with that Tri! Those supplemented horses always seem to be worth the extra consideration...
Old 11-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
TG,

Nice job... Nothing wrong with that Tri! Those supplemented horses always seem to be worth the extra consideration...
To be clear, I was playing supers for .10 or .20, but still....after that I hit the all on the back of everything after realizing saving $5 bucks on the wheel had cost me $1,300 of the super....that's what the BC wagering is all about to me going deep on the verticals and hoping for a couple of 30-1 shots in the mix with your overlays- Hamazing Destiny in this case.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Randwyck

If Pashito The Che breaks on top and pressures Big Drama, Hamazing Destiny may just have won it, and would have given me a significantly juicier trifecta than what it was...
Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Saratoga

Fantastic!

Thrilled for him.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Churchill Downs

Regarding Free: I discredited everything he said after he declared Gio Ponti was going to the Mile because he was seeking Goldlikova and ducking Zenyatta. Nevermind Gio Ponti was the turf champion last year.