Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Flemington

I was so sick of hearing the same things in each call. "looking like he just stepped in.." etc.

The Distaff played out perfectly for a Durkin call...
Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Pimlico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
I was so sick of hearing the same things in each call. "looking like he just stepped in.." etc.

The Distaff played out perfectly for a Durkin call...
Time has pasted Trevor and his call is a little stale. I think that less could be better when he calls the the last 3/8 to the wire.

I really like the guy at Mountaineer.

As Durkin gets older he is starting to pause and draw blanks. Was it Durkin that call the wrong winner though the last 1/4 mile and after he hit the wire corrected the mistack and said "I hate when I do that".

The best caller was Joe Hernadez with that gravelly sounding voice, it was so hard to understand you never knew when he blew the call.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Golden Gate

I guess I'm in the minority but I thought Denman did a fantastic job. I think that it is hard to find race callers that are so good at identifying horses during the race that are "doing it easily" or that are running on a loose reign or being asked to pick it up a bit. He gives you a great idea of who is moving well enough to be a contender. I thought he did a great job of picking up Octave on the far turn specifically but there were many more throughout the day. I personally enjoy all of his trademark lines, he's got about 10 that he frequently uses.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Flemington

Why do I think I have seen this thread before.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Suffolk Downs

What I hate about Durkin is when 2 horses finish a neck apart and he shouts, "TOO CLOSE TO CALL!!" -- then 2 seconds later, all the TVG announcers say, "the inside horse got it". I guess Durkin needs some stronger binoculars.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Lincoln Fields

I like to hear Denman every now and then as I hear Durkin just about every day. I get to hear all the things he says on my Denman talking bobblehead.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Arlington Park

on the one hand...stop humping durkin's leg

on the other hand...even i have to admit his bc calls haven't been what i usually hear from him.

on the other other hand...ahhhhhhhhhh! where'd that come from!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Golden Gate

Default I don't think any track should be allowed to hold the BC

unless they have the graphics/ horse location setup like WO and KEE installed. I think it really adds to the enjoyment of seeing the race unfold, and there is no question where your horse is running...

Just my $.02.... I like Trevor, but I'm probably not as highly tuned to evaluate the calls than some of you

I/L

Homer Simpson
Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Flemington

I like how he said (in a raised voice) "And Street Sense is threatening to run a big one!" right while Curlin made a decisive move past Street Sense at a part of the race where Street Sense is notorious for dominating.

But hey - when Street Sense made his explosive pre-stretch move last year in the Juvie - Trevor missed it altogether and instead decided to give Circular Quay a huge call.

If you listen to the call of the '06 Juvie - and can't see the race - you'll swear Circular Quay is going to win the race right up until inside the 1/8th pole.

Trevor certainly isn't as sharp as he once was.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Santa Anita

That was a strange call. At no point did it look like SS was going to beat Curlin, but if you listen to the call, you get the opposite impression.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Trevor certainly isn't as sharp as he once was.
Doug,

I don't think it's a lack of sharpness.. It seems that he is uncomfortable out of his element and with horses unfamiliar to him. In addition, it seems a real challenge for him to run through entire large fields to identify positioning and then rejoin the call up front. (Something with all his faults Durkin consistantly did well in his BC days.) I also think he relies way too much on his standard, and pat, phraseology. There is little emotion or 'thrall' in his calls in a setting where the performances should generate it. While a great 'everyday' racecaller, I think he is badly miscast as the voice of the Cup.

Last edited by Kasept : 10-30-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Trevor was excellent on Saturday in comparison to his Juvenile Turf and F&M Sprint calls.

His Saturday calls were crisp, precise, and generally entertaining. For a guy who generally does little editorializing, I thought he was on his game with snappy remarks in most of the races.

I was in the Grandstand Friday and bought one of those little ear radio things to hear the call since you really couldn't see anything in the rain. I followed Maryfield all the way around in the binoculars and was certain it was her coming down the middle of the track, but Trevor not mentioning her had me worried.

NT
Bought one as well. Worth the $10. The between-race commentary was a bit bland as they refused to take a stand, attempting to justify every horse in the race (which, on BC day, isn't COMPLETELY wrong I guess) but otherwise a very useful tool.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Coach Pants

Denman is all shtick. He can't help it.