Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Pimlico

I did a Derby seminar Thursday night and when it came time to name our "tosses" I said that "If I had to pick a horse to finish last..." Yep, Mine That Bird!

However -- thank you Future Pool!

I bought "All Others" in Pool 2 (9-2) and Pool 3 (17-1) -- allowing me to cash on my pick to finish last!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by copying
Every thread I've read, no one had MTB. Surely somebody here must have played their birthday, boxed POTN with everybody, National P3 - Rachel/ Einstein/All........
Anybody make money????????
I boxed Musket Man with all, I want to puke. I also boxed 5 longshots who I though were all poly horses and ended getting the 7 and 8 in there. So I had 8-2 8-7. I cringe evertime I watch those 3 hit the wire for second. I cringe even more when I watch the head on and see POTN crush both of them.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Golden Gate

A friend of mine had $4 left on his voucher after playing lucky numbers, and put it on a 50-1 horse to win. Mine that Bird. He is convinced that handicapping doesn't work.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Hialeah Park

I bet $200 win POTN and $2 back wheel in the exacta. Sometimes you just get lucky
Old 05-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Newmarket

I had #24 in the last future pool @ 17-1 for a duece.....my buddy "backwheel" POTH in the exacta for a buck & Rodger Wyland of "Big Board Sports" WNYT channel 13 the NBC affiliate in Albany NY had $2.00 WPS on MTB because he had a bird nest outside his house.....true story!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Narragansett Park

I was alive to several horses in the Oaks / Woodford / derby Pick three and Oaks / derby double and figured I would feel like an idiot if one of my top selections finished second and I didn't collect a dime so I played an $1 exacta All / 6,11,16.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy as hell I cashed but I did pick Mine that Bird (see the bookend contest thread) to finish last so it is a "hollow victory" and you just don't get the same satisfying feeling as though you handicapped it well.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Gulfstream Park

Not a penny here, Had a $100.00 Double with Rachel and POTN, also a 20 exacta box Pioneer/Musket Man, Not to worry, I will get them at Pimlico
Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3
All right guilty as charged....

Just figured with all of the horses that should win out it could have been anybody.

All/1,2,15,16/1,2,15,16 for a buck = $204 X 2......yeah I know like the payoff wasn't going to be a signer.

This is just a crazy idea I use for some of the big days I will either wheel the top when I think a number of horses can win or the bottom like I did with Bernadini/Sweetnorthernsaint/All when I made my biggest score ever.

The only other requirement for my ticket is that a horse I key has to run a TGH number of a "0" or better. This year I used POTN because of the incredible things being said about his workouts and the angle that says poly horse that will move up on dirt jumps furthest forward the first race on dirt.

I am no great capper but I was lucky again this Derby.....the damn IRS took 10K worth of my luck, such a ripoff!!
You lucky-duck! That is huge and GREAT betting! I was not as lucky, but I did have a $1 exacta box on POTN/ALL. And that is because when I woke up Saturday morning I discovered my top pick had scratched, and when I tried to recap I couldn't toss bo-rail so I tossed noone. Congrats again, you have made my night!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Aqueduct

The only person i know who won on KD was my dad who had 5wps on MTB b/c he always bets Borel other then that nothing on KD. I had tizquenna but then missed with dubai majesty and bet zambezi sun that was my "big bet" of the day and bet him b/c of his good races on soft turf in europe. all in all not a good day of capping
Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Suffolk Downs

Using some of Steve's picks, mine and my wife's I was rolling pick 3s. Trying to keep to a budget I tossed Accredit in the 6th. That cost me about $300. Went on to hit the next Pick 3 (7th-9th) for $200. Should have been smart and walked away. Instead I started to swing for something bigger but struck out.

Quick story. My sister @ brother in-law were in Florida on vacation. During a fishing trip on Friday somehow he got his line tangled twice with birds. She calls me Saturday morning tells me the story and ask me to put $20 on Summer Bird. She joked it must be an omen. I pay no real attention to it and place her bet. She does not realize there is another horse called MTB also in the race and since the horse is not on my radar I don't think to mention it. I get a text message 10 seconds after the race. "Did you happen to also play that horse?"
Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Belmont Park

singled RA in the Oaks / Derby Double and played it for 10 bucks each on my top 12 picks and 5 bucks each on the rest. Dumbaszed luck
Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Churchill Downs

Had $5 WP on both POTN and Chocolate Candy. Covered my bet and made an extra 20 cents per dollar as well; cleared a whole dollar. Party time.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Delaware Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by copying
Every thread I've read, no one had MTB. Surely somebody here must have played their birthday, boxed POTN with everybody, National P3 - Rachel/ Einstein/All........
Anybody make money????????
My buddy at the OTB boxed All for 340.00. Got half of the 2100 exacta.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Tropical Park

The guy sitting next to me had $30 on Mind that Bird to win and his wife was pi$$ed. She had told him to bet $50 on the 8 across the board. She bet every thing Borel rode.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:02 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklestheclown
You lucky-duck! That is huge and GREAT betting! I was not as lucky, but I did have a $1 exacta box on POTN/ALL. And that is because when I woke up Saturday morning I discovered my top pick had scratched, and when I tried to recap I couldn't toss bo-rail so I tossed noone. Congrats again, you have made my night!
That TGH angle is money the last few years. I was surprised that it wasn't repeated again here or on JB's board. Using POTN was just a function of how he looked during the workouts.

I looked at the race after IWR scratched and was convinced there would be an unusual result. Lucky doesn't do it justice, this was miracle fortune to say the least...thanks for the nice comments.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis
singled RA in the Oaks / Derby Double and played it for 10 bucks each on my top 12 picks and 5 bucks each on the rest. Dumbaszed luck
Not lucky at all You basically had an enhanced win bet on RA that cost 155 bucks.. How many horses in the derby wouldv'e shown a profit for the bet. I effed up by betting RA with 3 horses in the Exacta and not the right horse that paid 49 bucks... RA/ALL would've been profitable on all but 1 entry.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Churchill Downs

mtb was my first throw out, only reason got anything was played 2 horse by einstein by all pic-3, paid about $1450 for a buck cost around $30
Old 05-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Oaklawn

lost $12 on derby and $ 61 on bombs rest of the card i been shucken lately
Old 05-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

I boxed MINE THAT BIRD and threw it into the river
Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Churchill Downs

I had POTN WPS and an exacta all/POTN....no, I don't bet that way often, but I've learned my lesson with this race.