Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
No way, a trainer entering a horse in a GI race is confident about their chances.

That was enlightening.

NT
I've long given up on decipering what trainer's really mean, except I think he likes how RK is doing, he would enter 100 horses if he thought a horse had a chance, and he may or may not be prepping for Delmar.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Conway Lane View Post
She barely squeaks out a win in the Vanity against a horse who was trounced by males in her previous start and she is supposed to run in the Gold Cup against the best male in California. Makes sense.
you've got to be kidding
Old 07-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Goodwood

Nomad, these Zenyattards actually believe this stuff that they post here.

They will grasp at any straw to rationalize Zenyattas connections Bullshid.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Nomad, these Zenyattards actually believe this stuff that they post here.

They will grasp at any straw to rationalize Zenyattas connections Bullshid.
The people who demand that Zenyatta run against Rail Trip believe she is vulnerable and want to see her challenged. I would like to see that too but whining about the fact they didn't enter her doesn't get her in the race.

If she makes it to to Kentucky hopefully she will run against the best field available. Meanwhile she has her hands full with St. Trinians who not only challenged her but tested her.

My point in the post that Nomad brought up is that if you were a trainer of a mare who was all out against a horse who was trounced by second tier males in her previous start why would you enter her against the best male in a race that may not meet the time frame you have laid out.

The decision not to run her in the HGC isn't a popular one among racing fans. Maybe we can lay out her schedule for him and while we're at it do the same for the other top horses in training.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
The decision not to run her in the HGC isn't a popular one among racing fans. Maybe we can lay out her schedule for him and while we're at it do the same for the other top horses in training.
Now you're talkin'!

I understand the protectionist attitude even though it irks me. It's been going on for more than just Zenyatta or Rachel, and it's really a tribute to how magnetic and talented they both are that we're griping this loudly. How many owners do the same thing and nobody cares? A trainer will run horses where they can win, and they can get a pat on the back for it. In a situation like this, they get an ear full about how terrible it is that the horse wasn't challenged more.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
The people who demand that Zenyatta run against Rail Trip believe she is vulnerable and want to see her challenged.
This is BS. I doubt anyone wants to see Zenyatta run against Rail Trip because she is "vulnerable". That "you just want to see her lose" defense needs to go to the parking lot. People want to see her run against Rail Trip because she's already shown she can go toe-to-toe with top class males.

Now, your point about her maybe not being in top form right now, based on her narrow victory over St. Trinians is well taken, but that doesn't mean that she's not capable of better than that Vanity effort.

In addition, who said St. Trinians showed her best stuff on Big Cap day? Her other races in the U.S. have been outstanding.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
This is BS. I doubt anyone wants to see Zenyatta run against Rail Trip because she is "vulnerable". That "you just want to see her lose" defense needs to go to the parking lot. People want to see her run against Rail Trip because she's already shown she can go toe-to-toe with top class males.

Now, your point about her maybe not being in top form right now, based on her narrow victory over St. Trinians is well taken, but that doesn't mean that she's not capable of better than that Vanity effort.

In addition, who said St. Trinians showed her best stuff on Big Cap day? Her other races in the U.S. have been outstanding.
Well I won't speak for anyone else. I think she would be vulnerable.
I agree that perhaps St. Trinians may not have fired that day so that argument is a bit exaggerated.

You say she ran toe-to-toe with top class males. I agree. However (some of) the same people who pretend they want to see her challenged but really want to see her lose will tell you the group of males she beat were a bunch of bums.

I would have loved to see if she was good enough to beat Rail Trip today. It won't happen so I accept it and move on. If she continues to win up to the BCC then her mystique will be unveiled. But even if she wins that race it won't be good enough because she didn't run against males "more than once."
Old 07-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post

I must be the only one that thought St Trinians ran really well in the Vanity.

I personally dont think Zenyatta has looked as good as last year, thought given a fall apart pace scenario she could still win any race.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Oriental Park

Man Gayago is a nice looking horse, not sure how he runs today but he looks great.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
I must be the only one that thought St Trinians ran really well in the Vanity.

I personally dont think Zenyatta has looked as good as last year, thought given a fall apart pace scenario she could still win any race.
St. Trinians effort in the Vanity makes one regret her not having started in the Santa Margarita, not to mention any starts she might have made subsequently had Mike Mitchell not backed off on her following the Big Cap debacle.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Keeneland

That was some ride by Bejarano.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I thought Richards Kid ran well.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
Yeah, that makes sense, ship a superior dirt horse across the country to run against poly and turf lovers on polyturf. Great plan. As an aside, I don't think Rail Trip is winning that race.
I'm just saying...
Old 07-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
I thought Richards Kid ran well.
I thought they all ran like crap. Zenyatta would have won the race by 5. Instead she's in the barn.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Saratoga

I would love for Drugs to get all crunk on Formulator and look at Ron Ellis 3rd/4th/5th off the layoff. He is a great layoff trainer, but when they get into 'campaigns' they seem to tail off.....

That being said, he probably ran the best today being so wide.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
I'm just saying...
You're not really taking credit for that - are you?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
You're not really taking credit for that - are you?
I said it early in the thread and I was right...he was 2 to 5. Am I supposed to recant?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Del Mar

I know you did. . . Congratulations. He also lost about 10 lengths on the winner trip wise who, as far as I can see, you didn't say you liked anywhere.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Santa Anita

That is fair, but the race is posted on my site as the race of the week. However, I'm not here to advertise so you'll have to take my word for it. Awesome Gem has been consistently faster than Rail Trip.

As for the losing lengths, I think that is a dubious excuse at best given the race set up. Even so, knowing he was being overrated by many, I was pretty sure he would get an overconfident ride.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Not sure what more he can do, the race was a total waste to judge after the fractions.