Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Correct, I highly discount the first few races. I mention it only to further demonstrate that the horse does not want to be far back off the lead.

And yeah, I realize the fan club is not making him out to be a Zenyatta type of closer. I keep bringing that up because they said he was taken out of his style, in various races.

The reality is quite different from their claims though. He pretty much runs the same style every time.

I still see no evidence that those guys are right.
I dont want to speak for BTW but he is typically right not always but more often then not he is on the money. Upstart was dreadful in Derby, I used him because of what he had done on the track which was about as much as any other in field. He was 30/1 he should have been 15/1 and I wonder if world was out he was off form or some other backstretch nonsense?

The derby is a hard race to take much away from this year. CJ thinks pace was solid other respectable outlets think it was less then stellar? I use CJ to guide me on this stuff because he too is more right then wrong. Doesnt mean he is right this time but I believe he is. Upstart didnt run so trying to reverse engineer a decent opinion on what he wants to ultimately do after that performance is a waste.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
This semantics argument about his running style is just one big diversion from the indefensibly asinine opinion that arguably the fastest horse in the crop on paper is best suited to NY-bred races.
No, it isn't. The NY bred comment was, I thought, an obviously little sarcastic poke at his fan boys. While I do feel he'd make quick work in NY Bred races, I think he's more than capable of showing well in races like the King's Bishop.

And there is no argument at all about him being the fastest horse in the crop, on paper.

That comment or belief is what is comically an indefensible and asinine opinion.

My argument about his running style was a direct response to those that over evaluate his performance in the Champagne and BCJ.

Nice try though.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
This semantics argument about his running style is just one big diversion from the indefensibly asinine opinion that arguably the fastest horse in the crop on paper is best suited to NY-bred races.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
This is nonsense and I refuse to admit that I might possibly be wrong.
FTFY.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I went back and watched all of Upstarts races. I now have a better appreciation for the horse, but at the same time, it confirmed what I already felt about him. He's a presser that lays up close to the lead and probably prefers a one turn type of race say from 7/8ths to 8.5 furlongs in distance.

This notion that he is some sort of stone cold closer is completely unsubstantiated by both his PPs and his actual racing style. Hell, in his first few starts, the jock is trying to get him to rate and Upstart fights the jockey very noticeably!

I'd love to have someone illustrate how I am wrong with this.

Of course, nobody will.
Only in the Holy Bull and Florida Derby can one say that Upstart was pressing the pace.

Coincidentally, both races had pedestrian early fractions.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
I dont want to speak for BTW but he is typically right not always but more often then not he is on the money. Upstart was dreadful in Derby, I used him because of what he had done on the track which was about as much as any other in field. He was 30/1 he should have been 15/1 and I wonder if world was out he was off form or some other backstretch nonsense?

The derby is a hard race to take much away from this year. CJ thinks pace was solid other respectable outlets think it was less then stellar? I use CJ to guide me on this stuff because he too is more right then wrong. Doesnt mean he is right this time but I believe he is. Upstart didnt run so trying to reverse engineer a decent opinion on what he wants to ultimately do after that performance is a waste.
My take on Upstarts Derby performance is the only one that it can be.

It's a throwout.

CJ is exactly right about the pace. Since when is 47.1 a slow pace for 10F for early season three year olds that have never gone that far?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Upstart went off at 15-1 in the Derby. He actually took a ton of late money to drop from the 19-1 he was holding at.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Only in the Holy Bull and Florida Derby can one say that Upstart was pressing the pace.

Coincidentally, both races had pedestrian early fractions.
He's always within five lengths of the lead, usually significantly less (at the half).

If not pressing, then stalking, if you want to play it that way Rollo.

Coincidentally, the race he was allegedly taken out of his game in, namely the BCJ, he was the furthest back from the leaders. His post was almost certainly responsible for that.

As for the Holy Bull and Florida Derby, I am not confident that the pace was that slow, as that track was not the autobahn it's historically been over the years.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I don't understand why the NYB comment is such a big deal. Would it be the worst thing in the world to jog in a NYB race, that race being used as a confidence booster for him? Have him primed for Saratoga? If he was mine, and healthy after the Derby debacle I would point him to the Belmont.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
I don't understand why the NYB comment is such a big deal. Would it be the worst thing in the world to jog in a NYB race, that race being used as a confidence booster for him? Have him primed for Saratoga? If he was mine, and healthy after the Derby debacle I would point him to the Belmont.
The big deal for them is that they are emotionally invested in the horse and are lacking objectivity.

Something I'm being accused of despite my saying that AP was less impressive than I had expected.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
He's always within five lengths of the lead, usually significantly less (at the half).
5 lengths? Shouldn't a presser by definition be quite a bit closer to the pace? Like, within a length?

Quote:
If not pressing, then stalking, if you want to play it that way Rollo.
Stalking sounds better...if we are referring to his Florida races.

Quote:
Coincidentally, the race he was allegedly taken out of his game in, namely the BCJ, he was the furthest back from the leaders. His post was almost certainly responsible for that.
In the BC, the horse was hustled out of the gate and IMO was pushed to move early into a fast pace down the backstretch.

In general, this horse always seems to be asked to move too soon. It probably made sense in the Florida Derby, with Materiality trying to sneak away.

Also note his early position in each of his races. 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 3rd, 5th, 3rd. He is always behind several horses entering the backstretch.

I'm not sure its totally by rider design as the horse descends from A.P. Indy, who is notorious for grinders (unfortunately, I think Freddy posted something similar) and perhaps the colt is hard to get "in gear".

He'd be an interesting one to see held back to make one run the last quarter.

Quote:
As for the Holy Bull and Florida Derby, I am not confident that the pace was that slow, as that track was not the autobahn it's historically been over the years.
The Holy Bull card seemed to have solid 1/2 mile fractions on the undercard. The Florida Derby not so much, with only a few other dirt races, but again, it made sense to keep Materiality in range.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Biggest cinch since Big Brown. Wins in a walk over. Horrible win bet at les then 4/1 regardless. I think he is a lot better then these and I agree based on solely his races in afternoon he should be second choice in waging at between 5 and 7/1.

Will try and get him on top with Upstart, Frosted, Danzig Moon, international Star inderneath in tri's supers.

AP will face 8 or less in Preakness and 7 or less in Belmont. Assuming he is healthy he wins TC.
Privman reports field will be small for Preakness

wait till you see the Belmont Field when AP wins well in Preakness maybe 7
Old 05-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Privman reports field will be small for Preakness

wait till you see the Belmont Field when AP wins well in Preakness maybe 7
I'm a BIG fan of AP, but I think he has his work cut out for him on Saturday.

I would love for him to win convincingly, and head to Elmont with the hype train in full motion.

I'm just skeptical.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 05-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
I'm a BIG fan of AP, but I think he has his work cut out for him on Saturday.

I would love for him to win convincingly, and head to Elmont with the hype train in full motion.

I'm just skeptical.
Relax he is a cinch
Old 05-12-2015, 09:49 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Relax he is a cinch
no one is a cinch.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Relax he is a cinch
Things just got a 'tad' easier for him in the Preakness with Pletcher opting not to send Materiality.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 05-12-2015, 09:54 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Things just got a 'tad' easier for him in the Preakness with Pletcher opting not to send Materiality.
cowards
Old 05-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Goodwood

It seems like everytime I've opened a thread about the Preakness, Pletcher has changed his mind again about something.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

This keeps up AP will have as much trouble losing the P as the Pats do with under inflated balls.