Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Sam Houston

Default Andy Serling Shows His Class

Readily admitted on twitter how bad he's doing handicapping Saratoga of late. I had friends up for the weekend attending the races and urged them to pay attention to Andy's selections since they are new to the game. Every 'unbeatable' or 'free square' favorite lost while his beat the favorite selections were all up the track. My friends unfortunately went broke.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Calder Race Course

sharp post
Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfla View Post
sharp post
fowler showing his class?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Flemington

Since this is apparently Andy Serling Day, I would like to say that the National Racing Report is absolutely the best racing show out there.

Great job Andy and some of us really value your work!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Since this is apparently Andy Serling Day, I would like to say that the National Racing Report is absolutely the best racing show out there.

Great job Andy and some of us really value your work!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
Readily admitted on twitter how bad he's doing handicapping Saratoga of late. I had friends up for the weekend attending the races and urged them to pay attention to Andy's selections since they are new to the game. Every 'unbeatable' or 'free square' favorite lost while his beat the favorite selections were all up the track. My friends unfortunately went broke.
Maybe your friends, and maybe you, should just learn from his methodology, how he views certain races and horses, and his thoughts instead of being lemmings and following every pick of a public handicapper.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
Maybe your friends, and maybe you, should just learn from his methodology, how he views certain races and horses, and his thoughts instead of being lemmings and following every pick of a public handicapper.
hear, hear......sound advice.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
Sorry your friends lost. Especially being new to the track it's not the outcome anybody wants when it comes to making them become more involved in the game. Having said that, I find your comments way off base. There's not a public handicapper out there, much less any handicapper on this site, who's right all the time! Sometimes we see races one way on paper, then when they spring the latch it goes a different way from a pace standpoint, or in a ton of frustrating times, a jockey decision standpoint. I don't think there's a man in this game who watches more replays, or works any harder than one Andy Serling. He does a terrific job, these are opinions and we all have them good or bad. I respect Andy for the information he provides, and the work he does. I have not had the pleasure to meet Andy in person, but he is a class act.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
fowler showing his class?

of course...his 3rd post nonetheless...
Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Santa Anita

Odds fowler actually had friends up and urged them to bet Serling's picks....10,000,000,000 to 1.

Odds he is just using this as a backhanded stab:

1-100.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfla View Post
sharp post

Gamble at your own risk. Advise friends how to gamble? Never. Show them how to read the form, offer encouragement. If their horse doesn't come in? Well, that's horse racing.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
Odds fowler actually had friends up and urged them to bet Serling's picks....10,000,000,000 to 1.

1-100.

went to bloodhorse earlier, they linked to your blog about the pac classic time.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post

1-100.
I laughed.

This might be the same a$$clown ('SerlingisaPiker' or whatever the f his name is) that harrasses him on Twitter.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Hollywood Park

I have a friend who was running the in annual 5k over at Belmont during Stakes week. We met up at the track in time for the last race that day, and my friend, who had never been to the track before, was keen to place his first bet. I'm not a handicapper by any stretch of the imagination, so when he asked who he should bet on, I told him I saw tweet from Andy Serling that said he wasn't going to try and beat the 7 horse in the finale.

The 7 won. My friend was thrilled to cash a ticket, even if it was a small one, on his first bet ever.

Thanks, Andy.

ETA - And now, just this last Saturday, this friend was arguing with me on who would win the Travers.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Churchill Downs

Saratoga, one of the hardest tracks to pick winners at no matter what your experience is. don't blame andy, he's trying his best like the rest of us.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Idlewild Airport

I've had a terrible meet at Saratoga as well. A good gambler should always admit when he's off. This is not an easy game. I like the fact that he said that. It's refreshing.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Jerome Park

Wait...this isn't a complimentary thread?

I'm so disillusioned.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Wait...this isn't a complimentary thread?

I'm so disillusioned.
funny enough i took the initial post as a compliment as well but no one else seemed too. Im just so glass half full these days
Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclem0822 View Post
Sorry your friends lost. Especially being new to the track it's not the outcome anybody wants when it comes to making them become more involved in the game. Having said that, I find your comments way off base. There's not a public handicapper out there, much less any handicapper on this site, who's right all the time! Sometimes we see races one way on paper, then when they spring the latch it goes a different way from a pace standpoint, or in a ton of frustrating times, a jockey decision standpoint. I don't think there's a man in this game who watches more replays, or works any harder than one Andy Serling. He does a terrific job, these are opinions and we all have them good or bad. I respect Andy for the information he provides, and the work he does. I have not had the pleasure to meet Andy in person, but he is a class act.

He is also much shorter in person.
Him and the boss put the hours in, its hard work they do so we dont have to. Its a great edge to have guys that could make a ton of money keeping their opinions to themselves, but don't, for a greater love of the sport. It's noble work, and should be applauded.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
He is also much shorter in person.
Him and the boss put the hours in, its hard work they do so we dont have to. Its a great edge to have guys that could make a ton of money keeping their opinions to themselves, but don't, for a greater love of the sport. It's noble work, and should be applauded.
Noble work is Doctors Without Borders....but I digress.