Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Del Mar

Thanks guys. . . hearing less-than-positive stuff about Creative Cause.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
Thanks guys. . . hearing less-than-positive stuff about Creative Cause.
He finishes in the Super and I lose had to take a stand and he and Hansen got the boot.

Damar Hamlin
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Well, it's a known fact that he had to have some hoof work done after he was shipped to Kentucky. I can understand the sentiment.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
He finishes in the Super and I lose had to take a stand and he and Hansen got the boot.
I was originally going to use him on top, now he'll probably be underneath somewhere.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 AM

Just out of curiosity, does anybody have any recent data on Doug O'Neill in races outside of California?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Dee Tee Stables

read on b'horse this morning that the trainer is getting miffed about all the rumors swirling. said he wished he'd never mentioned the hoof to begin with and says the horse is fine.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anybody have any recent data on Doug O'Neill in races outside of California?
I asked the same last week or so, I think Ntamm answered if you do a search.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
I asked the same last week or so, I think Ntamm answered if you do a search.
My internet sleuthing skills are failing me because I can't find it.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
My internet sleuthing skills are failing me because I can't find it.
http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=18
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
If anyone is interested, my Kentucky Derby column and picks can be found at the following link:

http://www.goerie.com/article/201205...-has-red-flags
Great piece, Doug.

Regarding Dullahan, is there any question in your mind as to how he handles the dirt tomorrow? That's the one issue that has kept dogging me about him.

Also, what do you make of the recent fuss over Creative Cause's shoe/hoof? I'm inclined to ignore it, though perhaps at my own peril.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Great piece, Doug.

Regarding Dullahan, is there any question in your mind as to how he handles the dirt tomorrow? That's the one issue that has kept dogging me about him.

Also, what do you make of the recent fuss over Creative Cause's shoe/hoof? I'm inclined to ignore it, though perhaps at my own peril.
Personally for me, I feel like he will handle the surface just fine. My question is do you think he will handle the dirt in the face? He looked a bit uncomfortable early in the BC juvy behind horses. Once he got clear he seemed to run much better.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Dee Tee Stables

dullahan, from what i understand, has run at churchill three times already without a win. i think i'd be a little keener on him without knowing that.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
dullahan, from what i understand, has run at churchill three times already without a win. i think i'd be a little keener on him without knowing that.
two races were sprints
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
two races were sprints
yeah, didn't get any details on each race out of the article. i like the horse, and think the distance is no problem. he just screams turf/poly to me.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Flemington

Quote:
yeah, didn't get any details on each race out of the article. i like the horse, and think the distance is no problem. he just screams turf/poly to me.
Yeah and I thought the same thing about Animal Kingdom last year
Old 05-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Yep.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
He ran well in the Juvenile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm6PTqsSi9w
Old 05-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
lol

except dullahan has starts on dirt-and hasn't won on it. i keep coming back to the horse, probably end up throwing a few on him just because i can't completely discount him. it's a doubt, not a surety. i guess i'm looking more for people to say stick with him than not!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Oriental Park

I don't remember there being 1 hour 40 minutes between the Turf stake and the Derby when I was there, is that the norm now?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
lol

except dullahan has starts on dirt-and hasn't won on it. i keep coming back to the horse, probably end up throwing a few on him just because i can't completely discount him. it's a doubt, not a surety. i guess i'm looking more for people to say stick with him than not!
To me, Dullahan's early races have the look of an improving two-year-old who just happened to reach the next level while running on the turf and synthetics.

His first race (at Churchill) wasn't awful for a horse who developed into a closer, finishing third of seven in a 5 1/2 furlong sprint. In his next race (again at Churchill), a 6 furlong sprint, he ran about the same, got the same Beyer, and again finished mid-pack. Then, he started to develop and started to get better. Perhaps the move to non-dirt helped him out, or perhaps his progress just happened to coincide with his running on turf and synthetic. As mentioned above, his BC Juvenile race (at Churchill) wasn't bad, finishing fourth against a group of horses that have developed into some of the the top contenders in this year's Derby. That was also his sixth race in six months. After taking a break, he came back as a three-year-old, ran second by a length in a G3, and then won the Blue Grass, turning the table on the horse that won the BC Juvenile.

Dullahan seems to be moving in the right direction. He's got ample experience at Churchill Downs. He handles close contact with other horses. He's from the same dam as Mine That Bird (who ran exclusively on synthetics as a two-year-old, placed twelfth in the BC Juvenile, ran twice on dirt but never won a race on dirt prior to the Derby). The anticipated pace seems favorable for a closer (at least to be in the money), and, just my opinion, I think he's the best of the closers.

Stick with him.