Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
I think its brilliant and will crush the BC Classic which I can live with. Assuming many colts will come of the track and head to breeding season. There is a real reason not to retire colts and the impact on Classic seems imminent
Why does this at the end of January 'crush' the BC Classic, run 90 days earlier?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:34 AM
Havre de Grace

How would youfeel putting up $1 mil and getting an outside post at GP at 1 1/8 ??? outside the 6 post is greatly disadvantaged there.

Blaise Pascal
Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Why does this at the end of January 'crush' the BC Classic, run 90 days earlier?
Because you have a much more lucrative alternative in Jan.

You saw the beginnings of this trend with Chrome. Let's face it the single biggest reason colts headed to breeding was racing them was not economically feasible.

The classic is going to become a gelding/not as desirable stallion prospect race IF this is successful
Old 05-12-2016, 08:00 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

You saw the beginnings of this trend with Chrome. Let's face it the single biggest reason colts headed to breeding was racing them was not economically feasible.

The classic is going to become a gelding/not as desirable stallion prospect race IF this is successful
I dont aee why one oveerules the other because of the spacing. No reason to skip the bc when this is almost 90 days after.
I find the idea interesting. I wonder how it is going to turn out. That million dollar entry fee......yikes
Old 05-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:

Think the GP Cup will be a marketing vehicle as much as a payday opportunity. It won't detract from the season-ending goal of the Classic.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:25 AM
Morris Park

This is fascinating. So let's say an entity has a share (Zayats, Godolphin, whoever) and they don't have a horse that would be competitive. They could make a deal and "hire" a horse for the race, right? This makes so much sense. I love it.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holybull1 View Post
This is fascinating. So let's say an entity has a share (Zayats, Godolphin, whoever) and they don't have a horse that would be competitive. They could make a deal and "hire" a horse for the race, right? This makes so much sense. I love it.
I agree; I think it sounds like fun. And I guess there's no saying someone who owns the $1 million slot couldn't sell it for more (and, arguably, a portion or the entire share in the wagering, marketing profits, etc.). It sounds like a huge moneymaker for the original investors since they will also share in net profits (which, I assume, will not be like the film industry's "net profits" which are usually zero, thanks to creative accounting!).
Old 05-14-2016, 12:00 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

I think its stupid.They should just raffle off a chance to blow up the keggasis statue in the front for a million a pop.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Gulfstream Park

some random thoughts...

12 horse match race? Let me hold your money!

Over/under? 6.5 horses

Zero threat to win-and-you-are-in Breeders Cup races or Dubai events.

P. T. Barnum lives again!
Old 05-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
I guess the question is, aren't you are supposed to have the "World" Championships" at the B.C. The best 4 Y.O.+ horses have usually been targeting that day and have raced all year with that day in mind. You would figure that some of those runners will want to enter into the new race also. For the trainers it would make them question to have a prep race before after a long year or run off a layoff.

The 3 year olds also play in too because they really would have had a tough campaign with the triple crown etc....Those runners will also want to enter into the new race if healthy.

On the good side you would also be able to get the best 1m to 1-3/16m horses to fit in who could race all year with that race in mind. That is what I believe you will get.

Last edited by richard burch : 05-25-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:29 PM
Churchill Downs

What about Filly"s?

can they enter in?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
What about Filly"s?

can they enter in?
Quote:
–4-year-olds and up carry 124 pounds

–fillies and mares allowed 3 pound weight allowance

–3-year-olds allowed 3 pound weight allowance

–Southern Hemisphere 3-year-olds allowed 3 pound allowance

–horses competing without race-day furosemide (Lasix) allowed 5 pounds
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...rld-cup-horse/
Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
Thank you Sir!

The more I think about it this race is perfect for those horses that like a mile to 1-3/16 and everything in between. That covers a lot of horses and they actually have there own Championship race now.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:51 AM
Steve Byk

Details on 32yo Dan Schaefer who's using PWC as an opportunity to jump into the game.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...s-lofty-goals/

Already a racing fan, Schafer’s interest in the sport went up several levels in 2000 when, at just 16, he made a Derby Week visit to Churchill Downs and ran into Bob Baffert.

“I just went there and was blown away by the tradition of the place, blown away by the spires, by just seeing something I had seen on television the previous 10 years of my life watching the Kentucky Derby,” he said. “I ran into Bob Baffert. I was just a 16-year-old kid and just knew him from seeing him win previous Triple Crown races. I was walking up to the front gate and I see this white Jaguar pass by with this man with shiny white hair and I said to the people I was with, ‘I’m pretty sure that is Bob Baffert.’ I just waited a couple minutes, he got out of car and I walked up to him, shook his hand and introduced myself as a fan. He took a picture with me. He was extremely nice and that’s one of reasons that experience was so special to me.”

Sixteen years later, Schafer had become a successful businessman and had the financial means to get involved in the sport. Yet, he wanted to be careful and wait for the right opportunity. When the creation of the Pegasus World Cup was announced, he said he didn’t have a moment’s hesitation about writing out the $1 million check to secure a spot–even though he still doesn’t have any horses.

“Over the last four or five years, I knew I wanted to get into the game, but was cautious about the way I did it,” he said. “I knew when I jumped into the game I wanted to make a pretty strong investment and that I had a few options. I could go to auctions, maybe buy some yearlings, maybe some 2 year old in training, maybe make a $500,000, $1-million investment and see what could happen from there. Then this Pegasus World Cup was created and jumping into the sport through that option seemed like a no-brainer.”
Old 01-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Louisiana Downs

I can't believe they found 10 horses to challenge 'Chrome and Arrogate. No Gun Runner, Hoppertunity, Dortmund, etc.

California Chrome, California Chrome LLC
Arrogate, for Juddmonte
Eragon, for James McIngvale
Shaman Ghost will run for his owner Frank Stronach
Keen Ice, owned by Jerry Crawford's Donegal Racing, will run in the spot of Jerry and Ronald Frankel
War Story, owned by Loooch Racing and Partners, will run in the spot of Dan Schafer
Neolithic will run for owner Starlight Racing
Breaking Lucky, owned by Gunpoweder Farms, will run in the spot of Reeves Thoroughbreds
Prayer for Relief, owned by Zayat Stables, will run in the spot of Jeff Weiss and Rosedown Racing
War Envoy will run for owner Ruis Racing
Ralis will run for owner Reddam Racing
Noble Bird, owned by John Oxley, will run in the spot of Earle Mack

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/pe...sus-world-cup/