Old 05-10-2007, 05:13 AM
The Curragh

Default Congressman Ron Paul on the VT shootings

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2007/tst042307.htm

"The senseless and horrific killings last week on the campus of Virginia Tech

University reinforced an uneasy feeling many Americans experienced after

September 11th: namely, that government cannot protect us. No matter how

many laws we pass, no matter how many police or federal agents we put on

the streets, a determined individual or group still can cause great harm.

Perhaps the only good that can come from these terrible killings is a

reinforced understanding that we as individuals are responsible for our safety

and the safety of our families.

"Although Virginia does allow individuals to carry concealed weapons if they

first obtain a permit, college campuses within the state are specifically

exempted. Virginia Tech, like all Virginia colleges, is therefore a gun-free

zone, at least for private individuals. And as we witnessed, it didn't matter

how many guns the police had. Only private individuals on the scene could

have prevented or lessened this tragedy. Prohibiting guns on campus made

the Virginia Tech students less safe, not more.

"The Virginia Tech tragedy may not lead directly to more gun control, but I

fear it will lead to more people control. Thanks to our media and many

government officials, Americans have become conditioned to view the state

as our protector and the solution to every problem. Whenever something

terrible happens, especially when it becomes a national news story, people

reflexively demand that government do something. This impulse almost

always leads to bad laws and the loss of liberty. It is completely at odds with

the best American traditions of self-reliance and rugged individualism.

"Do we really want to live in a world of police checkpoints, surveillance

cameras, and metal detectors? Do we really believe government can provide

total security? Do we want to involuntarily commit every disaffected,

disturbed, or alienated person who fantasizes about violence? Or can we

accept that liberty is more important than the illusion of state-provided

security?

"I fear that Congress will use this terrible event to push for more government

mandated mental health programs. The therapeutic nanny state only

encourages individuals to view themselves as victims, and reject personal

responsibility for their actions. Certainly there are legitimate organic mental

illnesses, but it is the role of doctors and families, not the government, to

diagnose and treat such illnesses.

"Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of

citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a

world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place.

Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal,

because it would require total state control over its citizens' lives. Liberty has

meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false

government security blanket beckons."
Old 05-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Dee Tee Stables

and he's right. thanks for posting this.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Havre de Grace

Pretty good!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Dee Tee Stables

who is ron paul anyway?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:21 AM
The Curragh

Default Congressman Paul from the GOP debate

If anyone's curiosity is peeked, here is a youtube video of all of Ron Paul's remarks from the recent debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hfa7vT02lA

I'm not a fan of politicians, in fact I think they all "suck", but Mr Paul seems to be the closest thing to a "non-sucking" politician as there is.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:07 PM
pgardn

Ron Paul is one of the worst representatives in my state. If one views his schizophrenic voting record it is clear the man has been captured by aliens and injected with small little viral minirobots.

He may have said something relevant on this case, but I think he nuts. He wants no government whatsoever. If people have to eat contaminated food, the consumers will find out after they die after eating the tainted lettuce and the company will not flourish. This kind of thinking is scary. He needs to visit some African governments that have no control so he understands how chaos can break down a society. This is a man without a clue. He wants the government to basically disband. The armed forces, congress, and judical branch should all be run by private company kind of stuff.
Privatize the CIA, FBI... because the private sector does everything better. Then a citizens record could be sold by the private companies and big profits could be made for any individual that wishes to know something about another individual. imo, this is how the man thinks. There will be votes in the house banning the torture of babies and the vote will be like 435-1... the one vote coming from Ron Paul who thinks there are some extreme cases where babies should be tortured. I am exaggerating, but he is way out there.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Oaklawn

Never trust anyone with two first names
Old 05-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetoone
Never trust anyone with two first names
Oh yeah?
Old 05-13-2007, 01:15 AM
Oaklawn

I'll make an exception in your case
Old 05-16-2007, 12:26 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bababooyee
There is exaggeration and there is clueless. Hard to tell where one starts and the other one begins, here.
I have exaggerated. And Paul is clueless.

He would change his tune after a month in a country without a government. No he would not. He would be dead by then. Drowned in his own saliva.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Ron Paul is one of the worst representatives in my state. If one views his schizophrenic voting record it is clear the man has been captured by aliens and injected with small little viral minirobots.

He may have said something relevant on this case, but I think he nuts. He wants no government whatsoever. If people have to eat contaminated food, the consumers will find out after they die after eating the tainted lettuce and the company will not flourish. This kind of thinking is scary. He needs to visit some African governments that have no control so he understands how chaos can break down a society. This is a man without a clue. He wants the government to basically disband. The armed forces, congress, and judical branch should all be run by private company kind of stuff.
Privatize the CIA, FBI... because the private sector does everything better. Then a citizens record could be sold by the private companies and big profits could be made for any individual that wishes to know something about another individual. imo, this is how the man thinks. There will be votes in the house banning the torture of babies and the vote will be like 435-1... the one vote coming from Ron Paul who thinks there are some extreme cases where babies should be tortured. I am exaggerating, but he is way out there.
Ron Paul...hmmm.
Said a lot about 9-11 in the debate, until Rudy let him have it.
Methinks this guy is crackers.

On a side note, how pathetic is it that someone has to have a veiled insult in their tag...common dreams, alternet. Insecure patheticness. LMFAO!
Old 05-18-2007, 04:58 AM
The Curragh

Default One more video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF3Nt...rtNum%3D52468\
Here is the link to an interview Ron Paul did on CNN with Wolf Blitzer..I have no knowledge of his past voting record, or anything like that. Just watch this video and tell me if what he's saying makes sense or not.
And by the way, I'm not trying to say that he will be or should be the next President, just trying to expose some people to a man who is being intentionally marginalized/ignored by the mainstream media.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Hialeah Park

An interesting article:
http://mwcnews.net/content/view/14574/26/
Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 PM
pgardn

I have watched this guy's voting record for years.
Im telling you he is way out there. Watch the debate where he threw the largest softball I have ever seen and Guilliana ripped that fat pitch down his throat. Made him look like the fool he is. Yes he is very close to an anarchist.
He suggested 9/11 was something that was going to happen because of the immoral reckless behavior of the US. The man is way out there. But he is running for President so he might have some handlers that make him look a wee bit sane.

Nightmare man. I swear I would leave this country if he was elected. NUTS. (The last few statements probably bought him some votes on this board.)
Old 05-24-2007, 05:19 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
I have watched this guy's voting record for years.
Im telling you he is way out there. Watch the debate where he threw the largest softball I have ever seen and Guilliana ripped that fat pitch down his throat. Made him look like the fool he is. Yes he is very close to an anarchist.
He suggested 9/11 was something that was going to happen because of the immoral reckless behavior of the US. The man is way out there. But he is running for President so he might have some handlers that make him look a wee bit sane.

Nightmare man. I swear I would leave this country if he was elected. NUTS. (The last few statements probably bought him some votes on this board.)
I was going to try to respond to this, but instead I will let this short article do it for me:

Ron Paul, CIA Big, to Rebut Giuliani at Press Confab, May 24
Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - FreeMarketNews.com

Presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-TX) will be joined by Michael Scheuer, former head of the CIA's Bin Laden Unit, to discuss flawed American foreign policy and its implications on terrorism, security and Iraq.

The press conference will be held at 9:30AM EST on Thursday, May 24 in the National Press Club Lisagor Room.

During the "First in South" GOP debate, earlier this month, Dr. Paul stated that 50 years of interventionism in the Middle East is a significant motivating tool for radical Islamists. Dr. Paul's position, though disparaged during the debate, has since received backing from numerous individuals, including others in the GOP, administration officials and - in excerpted reports - from the 9-11 Commission itself.

In the debate, Rudy Giuliani, a presidential candidate and well-known former Republican mayor of New York, called Dr. Paul's position "absurd." Giuliani is commonly characterized as a GOP "front-runner." He is also considered well-versed in foreign policy, given his supervision of the "international city" of New York and his position as its leader during 9/11. However, he stated that he had "never heard such an explanation" as Ron Paul's.

According to a limited-circulation release, Dr. Paul and Mr. Scheuer are expected to explain why Rudy Giuliani is wrong on security and foreign policy and provide documentation about the unintended consequences of interventionism - known to many in the intelligence community (and Dr. Paul as well) as "blowback."
Old 05-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
To anyone that pays any kind of attention, the only thing Giuliani proved was that he is an idiot or a liar. How can he say that what Paul said was so absurd that he (Rudy) had never heard such a thing before? It is in the 9-11 Commission Report for crying out loud! You mean to tell me, "Rudy's city" was attacked, thousands died, the federal government did an extensive report on the incident and surrounding circumstances, and he did not read the report? Either Rudy is woefully uneducated wrt foreign policy considerations or he is a liar looking to score points with the numb-minded via a few short sound clips. Either way...

I don't think you have to worry about Paul or leaving the country. He hasn't a chance. Though, I somehow doubt you would leave...Alec.
You're wrong. Giuliani is not an idiot or a liar. He is an idiot and a liar.

He will say absolutely anything whether it is truth or lie. He's an idiot for thinking people are stupid enough to buy his bs. If that's not enough his campaign is paying his ex-nurse wife $15,000 a month for helping to write his speeches. That alone makes him an idiot. He's also said he will have his wife attend cabinet meetings. He's an embarrasment.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:04 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
You're wrong. Giuliani is not an idiot or a liar. He is an idiot and a liar.

He will say absolutely anything whether it is truth or lie. He's an idiot for thinking people are stupid enough to buy his bs. If that's not enough his campaign is paying his ex-nurse wife $15,000 a month for helping to write his speeches. That alone makes him an idiot. He's also said he will have his wife attend cabinet meetings. He's an embarrasment.
Well then you guys need to thank Ron Paul with setting Gulliani up with on of the biggest home runs I have seen in a debate.

Dr. Paul. Oh yes this makes him credible. The Dr. part. Earth to Dr. Paul, the Middle East is important, pulling back into a shell will solve nothing. He is an isolationist. He will tell you he does not want to be in the Middle East militarily, and that sounds great right now. But he does not want a thing to do with the Middle East diplomatically either. Earth to Dr. Paul. The US is not the only country that has a Jones for oil. Sorry folks, the Middle East is very important. Walking away will do nothing to aide the situation. Lebanon is blowing up. Again. Israel is getting ready to strike yet again once their own political situation is worked out. Iran... Paul's plan is not to intervene which in his terms means walk away. This worked really well right after WWI.
Our world is now one, like it or not.
People better wake up. How many of you run your car and house with solar power? We are not there yet.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Well then you guys need to thank Ron Paul with setting Gulliani up with on of the biggest home runs I have seen in a debate.

Dr. Paul. Oh yes this makes him credible. The Dr. part. Earth to Dr. Paul, the Middle East is important, pulling back into a shell will solve nothing. He is an isolationist. He will tell you he does not want to be in the Middle East militarily, and that sounds great right now. But he does not want a thing to do with the Middle East diplomatically either. Earth to Dr. Paul. The US is not the only country that has a Jones for oil. Sorry folks, the Middle East is very important. Walking away will do nothing to aide the situation. Lebanon is blowing up. Again. Israel is getting ready to strike yet again once their own political situation is worked out. Iran... Paul's plan is not to intervene which in his terms means walk away. This worked really well right after WWI.
Our world is now one, like it or not.
People better wake up. How many of you run your car and house with solar power? We are not there yet.
Guys like Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich are important. Their views are very different than the more manstream candidates but they are voices that should be heard.

Would you be happier if all the Republican candidates had the same position on every single issue? Or if during the GOP debates the candidates would all just be arguing what the exact name of the color of the carpet is? That's what you would get.

The people who better wake up are the ones running the Republican party. This is the party whose leadership will go to the wall to protect Alberto F'ing Gonzales while having no room at the table for a guy like Colin Powell.

Don't worry about Ron Paul. He's not going anywhere. But hopefully you didn't buy in on the post debate hatchet job they did on him.

Now Giuliani? If that mofo wins I will leave the country. Maybe I'll go to Texas.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:11 PM
pgardn

Quote:
That is an outright lie.
Prove me wrong. I believe, very strongly based on his past, he is an isolationist. Prove to me he has really changed stances. Lets see the evidence. Im telling you based on what I think of Mr. Surfside. Ive heard and read things from him for quite a while. So educate me on his true reversal.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:34 PM
pgardn

Quote:
It might be more fun to point out more of your lies:

• He wants no government whatsoever.
  • The armed forces, congress, and judical branch should all be run by private company kind of stuff.
  • I would leave this country if he was elected.
You deftly left off what I wrote after the first two. And then took off in a diff. direction.

Jews run congress is different than saying the Jewish lobby is a strong one. He has been in Texas for a good while. And he has been quoted a heck of a lot here. His record is clear if you live hear and have followed him. He also thinks blacks are fleet footed. Noted after he was robbed I think. Most younger males are fleet footed. I'll leave this for another thread.