Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Fairgrounds

Angry NBC Blew this one

should have shown the race before the Preakness. G2 stakes won by Larry Jones and Gabriel Saez.

That should have been a great way to show them... and they blew it and totally missed the boat bigtime!
Old 05-17-2008, 04:38 PM
The Curragh

That was one of the best posts ever on any Horse Racing board in my opinion. Excellent point.

And to give the last point in their round table discussion to a man who writes for a living and who was surrounded my men who live and breathe Horse Racing is laughable.

Can't be said enough, excellent, excellent post.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Oaklawn

The fact that they simply ignored the race is pathetic, but what a great way it would have been to showcase them. I wish ESPN had the Preakness.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Newmarket

i'm just so thrilled that they didn't cut the touching human interest story on Dutrow
Old 05-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
i'm just so thrilled that they didn't cut the touching human interest story on Dutrow
i muted that part and played spades....
Old 05-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkniska
should have shown the race before the Preakness. G2 stakes won by Larry Jones and Gabriel Saez.

That should have been a great way to show them... and they blew it and totally missed the boat bigtime!
hey, they only have so much time to spend on showing racing, what with all the interviews and such...can't actually show horses other than in the big race.

no, seriously, they should showcase a couple of the big races leading up to the preakness, rather than 87 minutes of filler and a couple minutes of racing.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Newmarket

how many times do we have to hear about big browns shoes already?
Old 05-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Santa Anita

Love that Budweiser commercial!!
Old 05-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Del Mar

For me, the absolutely worst coverage of any race day. As said...hello, there are other races..

..and the panel discussion...yech, I swaer I saw smoke out of Gary Stevens...if he was 6'5" he would have taken that guy down.

and all the dribble...no wonder why the general public does not like the sport.

Finally, no infield scenes... what's up with that.

I'd give a C....for CRAP!

Spyder
Old 05-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Santa Anita

I missed the first 30 min. cuz I stayed on ESPN. Did NBC grace us with Heidi Montag and Spencer like they did at the Derby? So sorry if they did and I missed it. Just devastated.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Coach Pants

"I'm never satisfied!! I should be in charge!!! Whaaaah!"
Old 05-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Del Mar

Exactly

Having seen racing in England, they have a higher standard and coverage is excellent..this was crap. You got it right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
"I'm never satisfied!! I should be in charge!!! Whaaaah!"
Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder
Exactly

Having seen racing in England, they have a higher standard and coverage is excellent..this was crap. You got it right
I thought the coverage was quite good. The majority of viewers don't give a **** about the undercard. And quite frankly I'm sick of hearing about Larry Jones and Saez when Big Brown should be THE story.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:03 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkniska

I totally agree, although it doesn't suprise me they blew it! It's just ridiculous!
Old 05-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78

I had 2 people call me after that story asking why this guy is still allowed to train. I couldn't answer that. Yet the racing industry wonders why they can't attract new fans.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Flemington

I just watched the panel discussion and Rhoden came off as a absolute know nothing a-hole. He was totally out of his element and had no clue. Just the fact that he mentioned bull fighting and horse racing in the same sentence proves that he is borderline retarded. I wish Stevens would have punched him in the face. I thought Dr. Larry, Stevens and Larry Jones were very well spoken and answered all the questions. But here's a little note for NBC. If you want someone to play devil's advocate, try finding someone who has watched more than 4 races in their lifetime. What an F'N moron!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder
For me, the absolutely worst coverage of any race day. As said...hello, there are other races..

..and the panel discussion...yech, I swaer I saw smoke out of Gary Stevens...if he was 6'5" he would have taken that guy down.

and all the dribble...no wonder why the general public does not like the sport.

Finally, no infield scenes... what's up with that.

I'd give a C....for CRAP!

Spyder
Comp agree. As soon as that guy mentioned bull fighting in the same breathe as horse racing Stevens was ready to lose it.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:27 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
I just watched the panel discussion and Rhoden came off as a absolute know nothing a-hole. He was totally out of his element and had no clue. Just the fact that he mentioned bull fighting and horse racing in the same sentence proves that he is borderline retarded. I wish Stevens would have punched him in the face. I thought Dr. Larry, Stevens and Larry Jones were very well spoken and answered all the questions. But here's a little note for NBC. If you want someone to play devil's advocate, try finding someone who has watched more than 4 races in their lifetime. What an F'N moron!
Guy did not even know that the sport has races strictly for 2 year olds.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
I bet NBC couldn't find anyone else- the poor guy was clearly uncomfortable on camera and I kept wishing someone would get him a handkerchief for his weepy eye. That happens on news-style programs all the time- commentators are booked and then are given a few hours to prep on a subject they don't know much about, which I bet happened here, too. I notice NBC didn't have anyone on the panel from the breeding industry, or any owners, which I think would have made for a better discussion- minus the columnist's uninformed opinions, it was pretty much, "steroids bad" "two-year-olds racing good" "fillies against boys also good." Which may all be true, but was pretty dull to watch.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Santa Anita

I would have liked some close ups of the horses as Donna Brothers was describing them from atop her horse in the post parade. She said some interesting things like Hey Byrn was too heavy and won't stay around long....ummm, no shot of Big Byrn...then she said Gayego typically carries a lot of flesh but he looked bigger than ever....no shot of Gayego...not a tight production there when it could have been a highlight.