Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Default good luck to schwartz!

he'll need it. lions sign the titans DC to turn them around.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3835911
Old 01-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Hialeah Park

He's going into a fantastic situation. Zero expectations and 4 draft picks in the top 65, including #1, to build a team around that already has a young stud WR and a young RB. I know nothing about this coach and I'm willing to predict that the Lions will make the playoffs under him.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
He's going into a fantastic situation. Zero expectations and 4 draft picks in the top 65, including #1, to build a team around that already has a young stud WR and a young RB. I know nothing about this coach and I'm willing to predict that the Lions will make the playoffs under him.
I agree. The PTI guys were talking about how the Rams job is better than the Lions job, and I totally disagree. Not only are the qualifications for success lower in Detroit, but the owner situation in St. Louis is up in the air supposedly too. I'm willing to bet that if both teams have similar records in the next 2-3 years, the Rams coach will be the first to go.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Dee Tee Stables

one problem with the lions is ownership-they just seemed doomed to fail with that guy in charge. look how long it took to get rid of matt millen...perhaps the son, who was the driving force behind MM finally getting the boot, will take more on himself..he seems more interested in doing something to get that team turned around than his old man.
it's funny tho...no expectations, yet some are already saying 'playoffs' for detroit. considering what they've been, i'd say those are high expectations.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Sha Tin

The Lions have pitiful lines, weak linebackers, fair defensive backs, no QB...and a clueless front office as well as a moron of an owner. Tell me again why they should be good? Did Bill Parcells get a consulting job there?

They will pick Stafford at number 1 which will wind up not working out so well considering whoever is the QB must run for their lives and either wont stay healthy in the case of the old guys or wont develop in the case of the rookie QB. As far as the other picks they havent been able to get much out of their top selections in previous years including prior to Millen so why should they suddenly get good now? Not to mention Detroit isn't exactly high on the list of any free agent vets except the ones slipping looking to stay in the league which should be the ones a rebuilding team should stay away from.

I will go out on a limb (not) and say detroit will continue to stink for the next 40 years like they did the last 40.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
The Lions have pitiful lines, weak linebackers, fair defensive backs, no QB...and a clueless front office as well as a moron of an owner. Tell me again why they should be good? Did Bill Parcells get a consulting job there?

They will pick Stafford at number 1 which will wind up not working out so well considering whoever is the QB must run for their lives and either wont stay healthy in the case of the old guys or wont develop in the case of the rookie QB. As far as the other picks they havent been able to get much out of their top selections in previous years including prior to Millen so why should they suddenly get good now? Not to mention Detroit isn't exactly high on the list of any free agent vets except the ones slipping looking to stay in the league which should be the ones a rebuilding team should stay away from.

I will go out on a limb (not) and say detroit will continue to stink for the next 40 years like they did the last 40.
As long as the Ford family owns the team, that will be the case.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:41 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:

big majority of the problem.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Churchill Downs

( I wonder if IM the first one to think this ? )

"" May the Schwartz be with you ""
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Randwyck

space balls........mels last good film.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

As a proud, life long Lions fan, I can say with all honesty that it doesn't really matter anymore who is coaching the team. Mangini would have been my first choice as he would have at least kept the tradition of the 2000's to have a coach with an "M" name (Moeller, Mornininweg, Mariucci, Marinell), but we had to settle for a Schwartz.

The cupboard is pretty darn bare, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. The o-line is adequate, Kevin Smith and Calvin Johnson are potential pro-bowlers in the making at skills positions, and guys like Dan Orlovsky at least showed me enough that the offense isn't the problem with this team. The defense gave up 30+ points 11 times this year. That stat is just astounding.

Anyway, I'm not saying they're going to make the playoffs, and I'm not saying the Lions are going to draft well as Mayhew/Lewand are Millen's guys, but I am positive the situation couldn't get any worse.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
As a proud, life long Lions fan, I can say with all honesty that it doesn't really matter anymore who is coaching the team. Mangini would have been my first choice as he would have at least kept the tradition of the 2000's to have a coach with an "M" name (Moeller, Mornininweg, Mariucci, Marinell), but we had to settle for a Schwartz.

The cupboard is pretty darn bare, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. The o-line is adequate, Kevin Smith and Calvin Johnson are potential pro-bowlers in the making at skills positions, and guys like Dan Orlovsky at least showed me enough that the offense isn't the problem with this team. The defense gave up 30+ points 11 times this year. That stat is just astounding.

Anyway, I'm not saying they're going to make the playoffs, and I'm not saying the Lions are going to draft well as Mayhew/Lewand are Millen's guys, but I am positive the situation couldn't get any worse.
You know it's bad when you have Jet fans feeling sorry for you, but way to go Slot. Hang in there.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Dollar Bill
( I wonder if IM the first one to think this ? )

"" May the Schwartz be with you ""
and i thought of 'SCHWARTZ!!' from a christmas story.....but yours is more fitting.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

I'll throw $50 out there if you're sure they won't make the playoffs in the next three years. I get $150 if they make it next year, $100 if they make it the following year, and $50 the next year. Deal?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Dee Tee Stables

sniper---they have changed coaches, players, gm's, and assistant coaches god knows how many times over the years. but they have still always managed to suck.
what is the one thing that hasn't changed? ownership. the guy's a loser, and until he's gone, what makes you think the usual personnel changes will help? they haven't yet. there are three nfc teams to never make it to the superbowl-the cards, the saints and the lions. what do the three have in common? decades of mediocre to poor play. what is their common bond? crappy owners.

the cards finally managed to get a coach in their who seems to have changed their dynamics-but he isn't in the bowl yet... and look where whisenhunt came from, and who he's learned from. you think schwartz is a whisenhunt?
and asking to put money up doesn't strengthen your argument.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
I'll throw $50 out there if you're sure they won't make the playoffs in the next three years. I get $150 if they make it next year, $100 if they make it the following year, and $50 the next year. Deal?
ok
Old 01-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Flemington

You want to bet me on whether or not a Dodger(other than Manny da freak) is gunna hit 30 home runs this year?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Flemington

I detect a lack of vigor.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
I detect a lack of vigor.
I will bet you Juan Pierre still sucks?
Old 01-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I will bet you Juan Pierre still sucks?
27??

(Here kitty kitty kitty...Here kitty...)
Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Dee Tee Stables

down to 5 teams that have never reached the super bowl.

taints
lions
texans
jaguars
browns