Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2061mn
I hear you on the home field thing but you would have to do away with the divisions then.
No you wouldn't.

San Diego still would have got in by winning their divisions as the #6 seed - over the 11-5 Pats and 10-6 Jets.

Also ... teams would have to play harder at the end. For instance .. a team who wraps up their division, but can't quite make a two seed, will have to go all out to ensure a home game .. as they might have the 5th best confrence record.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Arlington Park

Rather than concentrating on whether San Diego was 8-8 for the year and if they deserve to be a playoff team, why not look at their record in the last 5 games which is 5-0.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Flemington

or why not look at their regular season record against playoff teams ... which was 0-5.

Yeah, I know, they did win a wild card game in OT over the superior 12-4 Colts solely because of home field advantage.

Home field advantage is worth atleast a field goal in the playoffs. Would the game have been a pickem against the spread if Indy .. who had won like 8 in a row .. was at home in the loud ass dome?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
or why not look at their regular season record against playoff teams ... which was 0-5.

Yeah, I know, they did win a wild card game in OT over the superior 12-4 Colts solely because of home field advantage.

Home field advantage is worth atleast a field goal in the playoffs. Would the game have been a pickem against the spread if Indy .. who had won like 8 in a row .. was at home in the loud ass dome?

San Diego beat Indy last year in the playoffs AT Indy, it doesn't matter whether you are home or away, if you are a better team you win. If Indy was superior they should have won, they weren't.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:

I can almost hear the recycled "we against the world" pregame speech by Norv...recycled but effective.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Flemington

Quote:
it doesn't matter whether you are home or away, if you are a better team you win. If Indy was superior they should have won, they weren't.
Yes ... and if Vegas ever had you making their lines ... with your home field is worthless stance ... football would be a hell of a lot easier game to beat.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Flemington

By the way ... tell Ariozna home field is meaningless.

Did you see them try to operate their offense in the extreme cold and windy conditions in New England. It was 52-0 NE at the start of the 4th quarter ... and the game was even more lopsided than the score indicated. Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald looked like Kyle Boller and Freddy Mitchell teaming up.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Yes ... and if Vegas ever had you making their lines ... with your home field is worthless stance ... football would be a hell of a lot easier game to beat.

I wasn't talking about betting lines, two different animals. The betting line is a way to even the bets between both teams so the book makes the vig. They make the line based on who they think the betting public likes and adjust the lines to try and even the action between both teams.

The betting line was very accurate last night, right? They were trying to even out the action which I am sure they did not so they made a killing last night.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:

Did you see them try to operate their offense in the extreme cold and windy conditions in New England. It was 52-0 NE at the start of the 4th quarter ... and the game was even more lopsided than the score indicated. Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald looked like Kyle Boller and Freddy Mitchell teaming up.
That game was totally meaningless though. Home field does mean something but it's not everything and having home field doesn't mean you will win. Philly won at Minnesota, Baltimore won at Miami. Arizona won at Carolina. Baltimore won at Tennessee. Six playoff games this year so far and four road teams have won. Arizona wasn't supposed to be able to go East and win since no teams had done that all season but they did it.

Your sentence said to tell Arizona that home field is meaningless. After they just dominated at Carolina, they might be inclined to agree. If the Giants win today, after Arizona goes out there and beats them, they will agree again. After San Diego wins at Pittsburgh today, they would agree too.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:

That game didn't matter to them and of course weather conditions can make a difference. If you are good enough, you can win no matter what the weather conditions.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Flemington

I understand betting lines.

However, I refuse to believe that anyone could possibly be stupid enough to believe that their is no advantage to playing at home.

Go back and watch Arizona's game in New England if you want an extreme example of home field.

Just because Jake Dellomme turned the ball over 6 times and because Tennessee turned it over 3 or 4 times more than Baltimore did ... doesn't mean that their is suddenly no edge to playing at home.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Flemington

Quote:
That game didn't matter to them
Yes it did. They played all of their starters on both sides of the ball and still had a mathmatical chance at a 2 seed - and had the inside track to being the 3 seed.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Yes it did. They played all of their starters on both sides of the ball and still had a mathmatical chance at a 2 seed - and had the inside track to being the 3 seed.
NE was in a MUST WIN. Arizona was already in. If you think that game had equal meaning for both teams, I don't know what to tell you. What is riding on a game is more important, IMO, than where the game is played. Going back to SD/Indy, you can't say that home field is what cost the Colts when the healthy Chargers won at Indy last year. Also, that NE/Arizona game was played under extreme conditions. You won't always have that advantage just because you are playing at home. As I said, so far road teams have a 66.7 winning percentage in these playoffs. The better teams have won each game and I can't see where the stadiums have mattered yet.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:

However, I refuse to believe that anyone could possibly be stupid enough to believe that their is no advantage to playing at home.

Go back and watch Arizona's game in New England if you want an extreme example of home field.

Just because Jake Dellomme turned the ball over 6 times and because Tennessee turned it over 3 or 4 times more than Baltimore did ... doesn't mean that their is suddenly no edge to playing at home.
I hope you are not referring to me as stupid, it should be THERE NOT THEIR, once is a mistake, twice, we have a problem. Home field really helped Ten and Car yesterday,
huh!!

This is why I rarely post on this site, if you have a differing opinion from someone, people resort to calling people stupid and so on. Grow up.

Last edited by mark2061mn : 01-11-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
I realize that San Diego is actually slightly more deserving of a playoff spot than either Denver, Oakland, or Kansas City .. however .. they went 0-5 against playoff teams in the regular season ... and they only managed an 8-8 year despite playing in a pathetic division.

It will be a little amusing to see an 8-8 team playing AT HOME in a game that decides a Super Bowl berth .. while an 11-5 team, from a better division, within the same confrence, didn't even get into the playoffs.
You mean that 8-8 team that kicked the everloving s.hit out of that 11-5 team? That one? If the Pats had managed not to get f.ucking DUSTED by those crappy Chargers, you wouldn't have had to make this whiny ass post.

Also, SD played the Steelers a hell of a lot more competitively than the Patriots did. If they win on the road today against yet another team you got assrailed by, Patriot fan bitching needs to stop.

It's alright though DrugS, I know you're not really a Patriot fan. When Moss moves on to the next team that he'll definitely not win anything on, you'll ditch those Massholes.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
I hope you are not referring to me as stupid, it should be THERE NOT THEIR, once is a mistake, twice, we have a problem. Home field really helped Ten and Car yesterday,
huh!!

This is why I rarely post on this site, if you have a differing opinion from someone, people resort to calling people stupid and so on. Grow up.
So you're a p.ussy?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

absolutely there is an advantage playing at home-i also can't believe anyone would think there isn't.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I also think Pittsburgh and it's punch drunk qb should win today ... but it's certainly no slam dunk they will.
it's all up to the Steelers OL how far they go. 3 good games and they win it all. a mediocre-to-poor performance and they are out.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Arlington Park

Really proud of the way the Chargers are playing, if they keep playing like this, Steelers are going down today.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Really proud of the way the Chargers are playing, if they keep playing like this, Steelers are going down today.