Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2009, 04:52 AM
Flemington

Default If Philly and SD both win...

Which isn't exactly impossible...

8-8 San Diego and 9-7 Arizona ... perhaps two of the least deserving playoff teams of all-time ... will be playing at home in Confrence Championship games.

San Diego was 0-5 against playoff teams in the regular season - and Arizona played in a monunmentally bad division .. and flat out quit in a regular season game I watched against NE. A performance that might have been the most pathetic effort I've ever seem from a team that played all starters.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS

8-8 San Diego and 9-7 Arizona ... perhaps two of the least deserving playoff teams of all-time ... will be playing at home in Confrence Championship games.

San Diego was 0-5 against playoff teams in the regular season - and Arizona played in a monunmentally bad division .. and flat out quit in a regular season game I watched against NE. A performance that might have been the most pathetic effort I've ever seem from a team that played all starters.

it ain't SD fault that Denver couldn't beat the raiders or the bills at home in DEC - they win one 1 of those games against either team and SD isn't in

2nd - it aint AZ fault that the rest of the divsion stunk
the 49ers were a mess until Singletary took over
the rams are just a bad team
the seahawks had a ton of injuries this year

the last few weeks they took off as they were pretty much not going to catch the giants or carolina for a bye
Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

In your finest impression of Smooth Operator yet, you are cleverly taking this thread to your logical conclusion..

That it's a travesty your NE Patriots didn't make the playoffs
Old 01-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Flemington

It's a sheer outrage!

However, they would have had Baltimore in the first round, and I believe that Baltimore would actually have been their toughest match-up of any team in the playoffs.

Ah well.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

i agree that san diego is one of the worst teams ever to get to a playoff-i don't think a team without a winning record should be there, but that's life. but arizona has certainly taken the constant criticisms as motivation-they've played like they belong since the playoffs started.

but i don't see SD going east, taking on the steelers-on that field no less, and winning. if they do, they belong.

i think philly is the team to watch-in the last few weeks, they have built momentum, while the giants have looked worse as the season progressed.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
it ain't SD fault that Denver couldn't beat the raiders or the bills at home in DEC - they win one 1 of those games against either team and SD isn't in
I realize that San Diego is actually slightly more deserving of a playoff spot than either Denver, Oakland, or Kansas City .. however .. they went 0-5 against playoff teams in the regular season ... and they only managed an 8-8 year despite playing in a pathetic division.

It will be a little amusing to see an 8-8 team playing AT HOME in a game that decides a Super Bowl berth .. while an 11-5 team, from a better division, within the same confrence, didn't even get into the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
the last few weeks they took off as they were pretty much not going to catch the giants or carolina for a bye
They played all of their starters against Philly and NE and got crushed. They still had a chance at a first round bye..and they certainly would have preferred the 3 seed to the 4 seed.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
but i don't see SD going east, taking on the steelers-on that field no less, and winning. if they do, they belong.
I also think Pittsburgh and it's punch drunk qb should win today ... but it's certainly no slam dunk they will.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Arlington Park

Call me crazy, but I actually think San Diego can beat Pittsburg and I have laid a bet down and taken the points.

I must be crazy since every analyst/expert says Pittsburg is a shoe in to win!
Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Arlington Park

People can say what you want about the BCS, but at least in that system there isn't the chance that a .500 team gets hot at the end and wins a championship. It happened in baseball a few years ago with St. Louis, and it could happen this year in the NFL.
I'll grant that there are plenty of negatives about the BCS, but at least there the team that wins the national championship had to have actually been a good team over the course of the season.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
If that's the case ... San Diego probably will win.

I actually have a soft spot for Baltimore's defense because they single handedly won me (and Phil Mickelson I guess) a bunch of money in futures and games all through 2000 when I didn't have much of it to speak of - and I shouldn't ever have been betting football for that kind of money in the first place.

If Baltimore still wasn't around ... I would be rooting for a San Diego VS Arizona Super Bowl with every fiber of my being.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
If that's the case ... San Diego probably will win.

I actually have a soft spot for Baltimore's defense because they single handedly won me (and Phil Mickelson I guess) a bunch of money in futures and games all through 2000 when I didn't have much of it to speak of - and I shouldn't ever have been betting football for that kind of money in the first place.

If Baltimore still wasn't around ... I would be rooting for a San Diego VS Arizona Super Bowl with every fiber of my being.
That Baltimore Defense was the best Defence I had ever seen since the Bears " Buddy Ryan " defence in the 80's. Total domination.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Call me crazy, but I actually think San Diego can beat Pittsburg and I have laid a bet down and taken the points.

All the experts said Carolina was a lock last night too. That is why they play the games anything can happen on the field.

As for AZ and SD not belonging in the playoffs, they both beat teams that "supposedly" did belong. If they didn't belong then they both should have been beaten last week and AZ again this week.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
People can say what you want about the BCS, but at least in that system there isn't the chance that a .500 team gets hot at the end and wins a championship. It happened in baseball a few years ago with St. Louis, and it could happen this year in the NFL.
I'll grant that there are plenty of negatives about the BCS, but at least there the team that wins the national championship had to have actually been a good team over the course of the season.
I hear ya ... but I think college football is a perfect Sport for an 8 team tournament.

Take the winner of the Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, ACC, BIG 12, and BIG East, - and for the final two spots ... take the two highest rated teams from the following confrences: Conference USA, WAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, MAC, or a 1A Independant if Notre Dame can ever resume its glory days.

Use final year end rankings to seed the schools from 1-through-8.

1 hosts 8, 2 hosts 7, 3 hosts 6, 4 hosts 5.

This way, cold weather schools from the northeast and mid-west aren't handicapped by having to play constantly in warm weather. While these warm weather schools with high concept offenses aren't always playing games in perfect weather conditions.

If this would have happened this year...

you'd have ended up with:

#8 Va Tech at #1 Oklahoma
#7 Cincinnati at #2 Florida
#6 Boise State at #3 USC
#5 Penn State at #4 Utah

And finally - because the schools from warm weather states in the south and west with high concept offenses always deserve a huge edge over cold weather schools who play pro style - the National Championship game will be played in the Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, or Orange Bowl alternating years.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2061mn
As for AZ and SD not belonging in the playoffs, they both beat teams that "supposedly" did belong. If they didn't belong then they both should have been beaten last week and AZ again this week.
It's not so much that they didn't belong ... which they didn't by the way ... as it is that they both might be AT HOME in conference championship.

Teams should be seeded 1 through 6 on the same critera. I have no huge problem with giving an 8-8 division winner a playoff spot..but make them the 6th seed...and don't award them with home games.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2061mn
All the experts said Carolina was a lock last night too. That is why they play the games anything can happen on the field.

Wild Card teams are dangerous, they are battle hardened before they enter the playoffs, we saw that last year. It's funny I had the same in the gut feeling last year when the Giants beat New England also.

On the they play the games theme, I guess one of the biggest upsets in sports history would have to have been the U.S.A hockey team beating the Russian team at the 80 Olympics. Considering NHL'ers were life and death to beat that team that was truly an anything can happen in sports moment in history.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
It's not so much that they didn't belong ... which they didn't by the way ... as it is that they both might be AT HOME in conference championship.

Teams should be seeded 1 through 6 on the same critera. I have no huge problem with giving an 8-8 division winner a playoff spot..but make them the 6th seed...and don't award them with home games.
bad enough they get in, but indy had to travel to them?! preposterous. no way, just because you win your division, that they should have gotten home field advantage.

also-no reason the giants, who presumably are #1 seed, should fave the eagles. of course, carolina losing last night doesn't indicate that the cardinals would have been a cakewalk....but there was no benefit for being the first seed in the nfc this year.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:

I hear you on the home field thing but you would have to do away with the divisions then. There would be no incentive to winning your division if you did not get home field advantage. Because if you had divisions and then reseeded, Miami and Minnesota who won their division would not have had home field advantage because their record was only 1 game worse than Indy and Atl who did not win their division.

I can see your point when talking an 8-8 team compared to a 11-5 team but not when it is only a 1 game difference.

And SD is not your typical 8-8 team. they lost 3 games within the last 30 seconds of those games, 1 against Indy and Caroline both 12-4 teams and got robbed at Denver.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
bad enough they get in, but indy had to travel to them?! preposterous. no way, just because you win your division, that they should have gotten home field advantage.

also-no reason the giants, who presumably are #1 seed, should fave the eagles. of course, carolina losing last night doesn't indicate that the cardinals would have been a cakewalk....but there was no benefit for being the first seed in the nfc this year.
Exactly, seeding really means nothing. You have to play the games and beat the teams to advance. Any team can beat anyone no matter seedings or whether they play home or away.

The Giants would have to play someone "good" eventually and need to win to advance, their just doing it this week instead of next or maybe not if AZ plays next week like they played last night.

Oh, the Giants didn't need the #1 seed to win the Super Bowl last year. It just doesn't matter, if you are good enough you should win, if not you go home.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Dungee is/was on the rule committee and everytime he loses a game there is a new rule.

Bert Emanuel doesn't catch a pass now it's considered a catch
Rams celebrate with more than one player and now there is a rule against that (selectively enforced)

Patriots hold the Colts receivers and now you are supposed to do that any more

I imagine since Indy had to travel to San Diego and choke
there will be a new rule hat teams with better records get to host

btw

There should be * next to all of the Patriots SB wins

they cheated

I hope the Eagles win today so the AZ Cardinals w/ Kurt Warner can host the NFC Championship game.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:

I agree with Mark that if they both win two playoff games, one being at the home field of the #2 seed after traveling back East, it's hard to argue that they didn't belong. The thing is that circumstances often lead to records. SD was a team that lost it's best defensive player, had one of the all-time running backs playing injured all season, had the best tight end in the game playing hurt for a while and lost some pretty tough games during the season. In reality, they have been playing playoff football for the past six or seven games because a loss in any of them would have eliminated them. They belong. Arizona does too. It's not their fault that they play in a division that is weaker than baby piss. You might say they took off in the past couple of weeks in the regular season but that's because they could. They were guaranteed a playoff spot an their position was pretty much locked in.

I partly agree with Drugs too. I don't think that making them the sixth seed is the thing to do. Do like the NBA. Seed the division winners as 1-2-3-4....but have the playing site of all matchups decided by best record.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine